Too many requirements

Okidey

Clearly the OP has not been around when Oblivion modding was in its prime. While not to say it was 'worse' in a bad way, mods requiring 5 to 10 other mods were common place back then, but those requirements were almost always compatibility patches. If they make a single mod that edits something ANOTHER mod edits, you'll say you wont get it because it does to x that another mod touches.

Making compatibility patches are an inevitable thing in modding.. you may complain about other things and those will eventually disappear, but said patches aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

This reminds me of before LE came out and it was just all three DLC separate. Lots of folks complaining about mods requiring all three DLC. Mod authors just can't win with you people.

Edit: Just realized this is an ancient thread that was bumped..>_>

Edited by Rasikko

Exactly, I see so many mods that I would really want to try out too. First thing I do is scroll right down to the requirements section and a lot of the time it's just discouraging to see how many other mods are required to actually make them functional. If the mod is interesting enough I might try it anyway but then I find in the download section how many patches and compatibility patches are added, plus they are often very long lists of seperate and different downloads that I only find out that they are required compatibility patches if I scroll down the lists far enough to read them and find out that how many are required.

Constructing these mods is no simple thing I realise this and I am in no way skilled enough to really understand of how they are constructed, so I simply accept my limitations and leave it there. But somewhere I just hope that maybe I'm not the only one experiencing the growing complexity of getting them to work and maybe a solution may still be possible. Untill then I will have to restrict myself to using the ones that are practical enough for me to actually try out.

Any kind of uniform regulation of how CUSTOM MADE MODS should be posted would ruin modding forever. Modders would simply lose interest with new regulations placed on their creativity. The beauty of modding is the endless open road it provides along with the trial and error and customization.

If anyone and everyone cant upload any and every kind of mod they want, then the community as a whole is weaker.

I'm basically trying to tell you to suck it up. I have a 255 count mod list. Full. Very few crashes. It actually isn't that hard to get all this running perfectly smoothly. It just takes some effort.

Its their work. They have the right to release it any way they see fit.

Nexus has the right to remove it.

You have the right to download it, or not.

Edited by elenalejua

• 2 weeks later...

Thats true. Some mods require other mods to work, the most important and popular requirements are SKYUI and SKSE.

But some mods that list "Mods Requiring this mod", doesn't mean that those are actual requirements for that mod. Those are just mods listed that require the mod your looking at.

I seen new modders get confused by those lists.

Im not saying your one of those people, im just saying a see many new modders get confused by that.

This started as a fair post simply sharing a frustration and very quickly turned into a post for users to demand things of mod authors...

There's a number of reasons mods aren't inclusive of the required files.

Updating is a major one and probably the most valid.

There's also a lot of older mods where the authors are no longer active so seeking permission is impossible.

In the end it doesn't matter, it's the authors choice to do what they do.

You don't want to spend a feq.hours making patches or merging or just simply don't want to mess around with your load order?

Well too bad... if you think that takes long, try making mods. I can guarantee the time invested in making even simple mods GREATLY exceeds the time it takes to clean up a mod list.

We in no way owe you more of our time unnecessarily because you couldn't be bothered to learn to set up your own mod list.

Most of us are nice enough and will go out of our way to help you should you encounter problems, but we won't help someone who won't help themselves.

Dependencies are there for a reason, as are the mod description pages, so read them, follow them, and if you still have problems THEN come and ask for help.

Don't throw tantrums on forums because you want it your way, especially when you have no clue about the sort of restrictions we already face with mod creation.

* not directed at OP but to the follow on replies.

• 7 months later...

I see that nobody has responded in awhile, but I'd like to add something.

I administer several Red Hat Enterprise Linux servers. I *can* download source code and compile software, but usually I use the "yum' utility to download and install software packages. The infrastructure is such that software authors specify dependencies in xml files, and yum can work through the dependencies and download and install everything in one go.

Now, I've noticed that there's a dropdown box in the download section for "mods that depend on this mod" or somesuch. So, some work somewhere is happening to track what mods depend on what other mods. How hard would it be for NMM to add functionality to download all dependencies for a mod, similar to yum?

Thanks!

I see that nobody has responded in awhile, but I'd like to add something.

I administer several Red Hat Enterprise Linux servers. I *can* download source code and compile software, but usually I use the "yum' utility to download and install software packages. The infrastructure is such that software authors specify dependencies in xml files, and yum can work through the dependencies and download and install everything in one go.

Now, I've noticed that there's a dropdown box in the download section for "mods that depend on this mod" or somesuch. So, some work somewhere is happening to track what mods depend on what other mods. How hard would it be for NMM to add functionality to download all dependencies for a mod, similar to yum?

Thanks!

NMM won't get that feature because NMM is dead. Development has stopped. Team has moved on to Vortex now.

Also, bad idea. That's basically installing mods willy-nilly. You have no idea if the required mod breaks something in your current mod build because you wanted a mod that relied on it and it was just automatically downloaded without you reading the stuff.

Edited by chanchan05

My solution was to experiment with what I need and don't need. I've had to reinstall Skyrim several times but more and more I narrow down what I need/want and it becomes more stable each time. What bothers me is a mod requirement that itself has a mod requirement (a requirement chain so to speak). At that point it just looks to me like too much can go wrong from the get go.

• 2 months later...

This "issue" only exists on user's part, and it's not something that MAs have to worry about.

they can choose not to but it is an common standard to help people out, is it not? so just telling people that stuff like this is just our problem wont help anyone,

so why bother.

Edited by dinowars