enabling fallout 4 mods

MarcoWulf

ive opened the ini file but there is no launcher section to add the line to and I cant find the fallout4custom file either. I have a disc copy of the game and downloaded it through steam it plays fine but5 I need help getting to be able to use mods. help??????????

It can be a little hard to find them but these files are located in:

/documents/my documents/my games/fallout 4/

Also some of the older instructions say to use

"sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\"

However this information is out of date. You should now simply use:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

As the previous instructions cause extremely long loading times.

[Display]

iLocation X=0

iLocation X=0

that's the entire contents of the fallout 4 custom file which I did find thanks to you but the files are not showing what they should. there is absolutely no place to in the Prefs file to add a line under launcher because the launcher bit doesn't even exist

They aren't showing that, because YOU have to add it!

And forget about the launcher setting in Fallout4Prefs, you don't need that anymore either. Just open the Fallout4Custom.ini and add the three lines:

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

Save it and start adding mods. It's really not that hard (to understand and/or do).

Simple way - copy the lines directly from the post above, then paste them into the ini. Don't forget to save it after pasting. :thumbsup:

I started the game for initializing, but no "Custom.ini" was produced. Do I just install those 3 lines into the .ini file instead?

EDIT: Also, in the regular .ini file, there is already a section marked "[ARCHIVE]"

Do I just add the last two lines, or just paste the 3 lines into the folder, thus having two [ARCHIVE] sections?

I don't know why I having such a problem with this. I had them running fine before. Now I've forgotten how I did it.

EDIT 2: Just to be clear, I'm looking at the files from the Documents/my games/Fallout 4 side, not the C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam...etc.

The custom.ini is there if you started playing long ago. When I redid my .ini, by deleting them and let steam validate a new .ini it did not name it custom.ini.

So just add the two lines at the bottom of the [archive] line and everything should work fine. Do not make a new [archive]

your edit #2 is where you should be looking for the .ini file.

The custom.ini is there if you started playing long ago. When I redid my .ini, by deleting them and let steam validate a new .ini it did not name it custom.ini.

So just add the two lines at the bottom of the [archive] line and everything should work fine. Do not make a new [archive]

your edit #2 is where you should be looking for the .ini file.

Thanks. I'll try that now.

EDIT: There is already a line there, "sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\"

Is this okay? The first line of the two isn't there, however.

Perhaps this will help. This is what's under [ARCHIVE]

[Archive]
sResourceIndexFileList=Fallout4 - Textures1.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures2.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures3.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures4.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures5.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures6.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures7.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures8.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures9.ba2
sResourceStartUpArchiveList=Fallout4 - Startup.ba2, Fallout4 - Shaders.ba2, Fallout4 - Interface.ba2
SResourceArchiveList=Fallout4 - Voices.ba2, Fallout4 - Meshes.ba2, Fallout4 - MeshesExtra.ba2, Fallout4 - Misc.ba2, Fallout4 - Sounds.ba2, Fallout4 - Materials.ba2
SResourceArchiveList2=Fallout4 - Animations.ba2
sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\
SGeometryPackageList=Fallout4 - Geometry.csg
SCellResourceIndexFileList=Fallout4.cdx
SResourceArchiveMemoryCacheList= Fallout4 - Misc.ba2, Fallout4 - Shaders.ba2, Fallout4 - Interface.ba2, Fallout4 - Materials.ba2
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

Perhaps this will help. This is what's under [ARCHIVE]

[Archive]
sResourceIndexFileList=Fallout4 - Textures1.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures2.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures3.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures4.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures5.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures6.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures7.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures8.ba2, Fallout4 - Textures9.ba2
sResourceStartUpArchiveList=Fallout4 - Startup.ba2, Fallout4 - Shaders.ba2, Fallout4 - Interface.ba2
SResourceArchiveList=Fallout4 - Voices.ba2, Fallout4 - Meshes.ba2, Fallout4 - MeshesExtra.ba2, Fallout4 - Misc.ba2, Fallout4 - Sounds.ba2, Fallout4 - Materials.ba2
SResourceArchiveList2=Fallout4 - Animations.ba2
sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\
SGeometryPackageList=Fallout4 - Geometry.csg
SCellResourceIndexFileList=Fallout4.cdx
SResourceArchiveMemoryCacheList= Fallout4 - Misc.ba2, Fallout4 - Shaders.ba2, Fallout4 - Interface.ba2, Fallout4 - Materials.ba2
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

you have sResourceDataDirsFinal= twice. Remove the last line and you should be fine.

If my memory is correct, since I redid my .ini last night, the only line you should to add your self is

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

Edited by bill8872