New Texture mod WIP

xander2077

im a long time texture modder for morrowind, but i recently revisited some of my older stuff and im kinda disappointed in it, and i thought it needed a re-do. so here is a teaser of one of my latest additions going into what i call the great dwemer texture unification project. it will encompass ruins, armor, creatures, artifacts, and even some of the player made mods that i chose to retexture, some of which are already out there.

for this teaser im going to show you something i call the legacy armor retecture. basically it is an attempt to make real the vision the morrowind developers had when they made the game, but never did themselves.

this is what i call the legacy helm.

http://i.share.pho.to/4a4fcd5a_c.png

Edited by xander2077

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it still has a long way to go. but this is step two. before i had placeholders, just some rough concepts of what it should look like on the texture, and made sure it fit the model. then i replaced those with higher detail and more UV adjusting. the final step will be to add weathering and more detail to all the textures. it will include the modified bethesda meshes so the textures wont work on vanilla armor.

i would not say you are hopeless, those are basic buildings, and they look good enough for most games i guess you want them to pop, well that takes some bump maps etc. if you want them to pop even more then the timbers can be a bit rougher and a little crooked here and there along the length as long as they hold the walls up.

i would be doing that myself more, but i no longer have the ability to use Max to model and blender is really new to me. although i was able to import the boots and modify them a bit, they are still a long way off from what i want, and i encountered a problem exporting them back out, where the tree suddenly had more branches in nifskope than it started with and i had to do some smart editing to get the thing trimmed down and the textures to show in game, im still not quite happy with them, but its a start. once i get the hang of the program i will be able to do a lot more.

here is the full suit so far in game. problem areas are pauldrons, the boots, and the bracers, i still have to tackle.

i repplaced the pauldrons with a vivec style pauldron but i dont quite get that warm fuzzy feeling and it makes the boots look even more ridiculous.

http://i.share.pho.to/3e1165ea_o.png

some of these textures are just placeholders that need changing. i may also change the feet on the boots. we shall see.

Edited by xander2077

yeah, i can raise them in nifskope so they sit higher on the legs, but the real issue is the model itself is too bulky. it needs to be slimmed down even more. the problem is i dont really know how to build models in blender yet, just modify them. i tried making some basic polys to replace the model with but i failed miserably, and the nif models are converted to tris so they dont have the vertices welded together always. so it takes special intensive care to move them around to a more pleasing shape. what i did to the boots was slim them down and change the shape a bit, but it still needs to be less blocky. i can subdivide fine, and smooth, but i would rather build a model from scratch because trying to edit a nif model is horrendous. those boots are the edited model. the ankes are a lot less bulbous than vanilla. but they still dont quite have the correct shape for my taste.

i guess i will have to revisit that one in blender and try again.

well, i tried wings 3d, but the problem is for character nifs, cuirasses, and other things with skin weights, you cant export to an obj because it strips it of all nif data and then when you import it back into nifskope you have to know exactly how to rebuild the tree again. thats something i cant really be bothered with. if it is landscape or buildings with no animation, then thats fine to export them as an obj, because it is fairly simple, compared to animated files or skin weights, to set the nif up properly for landscape or a plain building. that is probably why most people modding for morrowind tend to shy away from new character models, or creature models, because it is touchy. even the new nixhound has bugs left over from the skeleton and animations of vanilla morrowind. its like a mystery that few have solved, so they usually dont mess with it and just use existing models and make new textures. some of which dont really live up to the potential of what it could be.

the understanding of nifs for oblivion and skyrim are a bit less messy, although the support in nifskope is still not up to par for either of those. its tricky business.

all i really want to do is edit the existing meshes, which i can do in blender. it is much easier than trying to change the format of the model and rebuilding everything.

thats fine. i guess you do what you love.

milkshape is almost like 3ds max or gmax, it is hard to get running right in linux. so i have to use what runs. its not that i want to mess with animations or skin weights, but the truth is if i want updated models or anything new, i have to mess with skin weights and animation. cant do that with anything but blender right now. i would use 3ds max, but it wont run in linux even in wine. i can import things, but cant do any editing. the windows and drop dows dont work. or they flash and go away. sucks because im most familiar with 3ds max, and it is so easy for me to use. after over 3000 star wars ships modeled in it i think i have a good idea fo how to use it. i was making about one every half hour at one point. i even had my own set of turrets i would import into the model from a selection i made based off of different pictures from games, video, and comics.

anyway, blender will do fine i just have to get used to it.

Rofl you sound as mad as me mate. I've done over 3k bloody models for the Sims 2 believe it or not haha!

Daughter started me off with that years ago when she wanted a T-shirt retexturing.....next thing I knew I was making her new furniture lol