New Texture mod WIP

xander2077

I have considered trying to use it again but I must be honest after almost 30 years of using CAD you sort of get used to the camera and actions. Blender just ignores it all and does it's own thing and I can't get my head around it lol

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i found a setting that helps that out a lot. instead of setting the orbit to trackball, if it is set to turntable, you have a lot more control over your view when you want to go around the thing. who had a trackball these days? also the keyboard shortcuts make things a lot faster once you get used to it, but the downside to it is once those behaviors set in, you tend to mirror them in other things, like right clicking instead of left clicking on the web...

i heard you can set it up to right click instead but then everything else is backwards. so there is no easy solution to using it. im not saying you have to, im just saying necessity makes me have to learn it.

I will stick to Wings its awesome. It saves perfect obj files and basically that is all any modeller needs.

There is also a new 64 bit beta version on its way so maybe that will be even better. Its only problem is the way it looks. It still does the job though so I'm happy with it.

You might be able to help me out with something mate???

I just meshed a shield and .......

Perfect in Nifskope!

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/Simon_Griffiths/shield.jpg

Back to front in game lol

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/Simon_Griffiths/backtofront.jpg

Rotated it a million times in all directions (in modelling program) and can't get it the right way

Is there something in Nifskope I'm missing?

Any help would be erm...helpful :D

well i think what you need to do is click on the main tree top 0ninode and then check in the block details below at the bottom of the window. try rotation matrix. if it is anything but all zeros then that is the issue. also check and try changing those values on the actual tri (branch below 0ninode) as well if that doesnt work. but look for rotation matrix, translation vector etc. they all have xyz values. do your self a favor and open two nifskope windows, one with a vanilla shield and one with yours and compare. try to copy all the settings of the vanilla one in the block details especially, but use it as a visual template. and if that doesnt work try replacing a vanilla shield with the imported OBJ file then deleting the original. then rename the mesh when you save it. and then rename it to whatever you need it to be outside in windows explorer. just be careful because deleting the original mesh can leave behind orphaned branches in the tree, so they have to be pruned manually, and then make sure they are in the correct outline structure so all the textures show up. you dont want your tris on the same level as 0ninode because that will make it invisible, it has to be indented from 0ninode, and textures have to be indented from the tri. but a good rule is to try and copy all the information in the tree and block details for each branch (parent and child) even the ones that have no information (just three dots or a huge blank but a branch is there) until you look below in block details are important.

it probably has to be rotated correctly before import to nifskope but somewhere along the way it got turned around or maybe the exporter to nif rotates it and it needed to be oriented a certainway before export instead of the way you think, but it depends on which way you brought it into nifskope that makes a difference too. also some models dont line up correctly in the modeling program, but work fine in the game, even if they are off axis in nifskope. every item behaves differently. the static items and clutter behave differently from buildings, but where it really gets tricky are the armor, bodies, and animations. shields are oriented differently than boots in the modeling program, and so are the pauldrons. etc etc...

im still pretty new to all of it myself, and some of it is too daunting for me to even try, but im working on a dwemer helm right now just to try out some new things i learned in blender, and it seems to be coming along well. im simply adding details that need to be there that are not. then i plan on revamping it all together to look more like a bridge between oblivion and skyrim helm but still look like it belongs in morrowind. my legacy helmet will have more detail than before.

nice shield by the way.

Thanks I shall try that in the morning mate. Can't believe I didn't think of it lol.

The riggers of having the wife come home from work in the middle of me meshing haha

This mod is bloody massive now I look at it. What started as a little idea over dinner with my son has become something equal to the main quest! Because of the plot its a hell of a lot of dialogue to which is hard to think of.

In one section (a murder) I have 18 different responses to the same bloody question lol so hard to think them all up and stay within the lore of things.

As for your armour. Ever though of using the textures from Skyrim?

im not going to go there. that would be a violation of copyright. i can try to get close to them, but they have to be original textures. i know some people skirt the line by converting parts of the textures to morrowind, but if i want something similar i have to make it from scratch. i did that for the dwemer ruins sort of. i made a bunch of swirls in a pattern with the pen in gimp and then overlayed them as a brush, and then made it seamless, then used that template to put in a layer over stone, and then colored the pattern white, and then used displacement to carve the swirls in the stone. nice effect similar but not identical to the texture in skyrim. im good enough at textures now to know a few tricks to making them look better, but it all starts with a good model and unwrap, otherwise you can run into problems with seams/tiling, and it shows.

You might be able to help me out with something mate???

I just meshed a shield and .......

Perfect in Nifskope!

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/Simon_Griffiths/shield.jpg

Back to front in game lol

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/Simon_Griffiths/backtofront.jpg

Rotated it a million times in all directions (in modelling program) and can't get it the right way

Is there something in Nifskope I'm missing?

Any help would be erm...helpful :D

I encountered a similar problem while creating my Less Bulky Pauldrons mod.

I am assuming you are right-clicking on NiNode>Transform>Edit and then changing rotation values. This doesn't work. You need to edit in NiTrishape instead of NiNode for it to show in-game.

Edited by hollaajith

:o thank Hol. I'll give it a go. Still on dialogue duty lol so the shields will have to stay in reverse for now :D

@Xander

There is no copyright on the SKyrim textures providing you don't sell the end product mate.

I've used them myself on numerous occasions as I'm so bad at making new ones lol Screw them!

It's bad enough we have to add/ re-write/ re-build a game without worrying about Bethesda.

well i probably still wont do it. im good enough at the texturing that i can whip up cool enough ones that fit into morrowind lore but look similar.

im still in the middle of texturing the armor, but some things i tried with those textures made me rethink my amuliculi(?) textures, you know, the steam centurions sheres and spiders? i just redid those, but what i learned in blender and doing the armor has taught me something new so im probably going to modify those again for greater detail. just not sure when.