Questions about the mod publishing process:

SteelRook

I've already published one mod and I found it to be a very awkward process. I know it's done through Tools -> Publish Mod but the process leaves me confused and asking questions. Questions like:

How do I upload display image for the mod? The first time I tried, it just picked up the image from ModPreview.jpg, but I'm trying to upload a second mod and it's not working - I get a black screen.

How do I set up an automatic Mod Description? It just pulls the one I gave when first making the mod which is no longer accurate but I can't change it.

How can I make ModBuddy remember my tags selection? It keeps defaulting to empty.

Assuming I've already mistakenly uploaded a mod with no image attached, no description and no tags, how can I change the display image, the description and the tags? Well, I did find a fairly simple way to change the description, but neither display image nor tags seems to have an easily-recognisable option to edit.

1) ModPreview.JPG is a file you must create externally and then use to replace the "Steam-Black" default in your project root folder. From there, the installer auto-picks the custom file.

2) WAD, i think. This would be to prevent collapsed references during the UpLoading phase as Steam needs string context to develop the source assets. AFAIC, we can always edit such descriptive gimmicks straight off our Side-Control panel.

3) I believe this isn't fully operational yet. But wGhost81 was able to use the correct process to insert (UI) in her Camera-Mod... so, she must have found the proper way. Maybe she'll chime here later to explain the method for us all. :wink:

Edited by Zyxpsilon

In general I tend to ignore ModBuddy except for the "build" and "publish" buttons. With ModBuddy closed, poke around in the files, and you will see where the description comes from. I think it is in the x2proj file but I am away from that computer right now.

The ModPreivew.jpg file is definitely the one that is used in the workshop main page. I am not sure how to edit it afterwards. Apparently the publish step fails completely if you have a png there, or a jpg above a certain size. I am surprised you had a mod publish, while ignoring your valid ModPreview.jpg.

I have seen quite a number of people asking how to add tags afterwards, for example 2-3 posts in /r/xcom2mods. But I have not seen anybody answer it. Regular google searches didn't find anything either. It *has* to be possible to edit tags afterwards. If you noticed the selection of tags in week 1, they were stupid ones, like "foo" and "toaster". I guess somebody at valve woke up and put real ones into the picklist, but there doesn't seem to be any way to edit. That's dumb, unless all of us missed it.

1) ModPreview.JPG is a file you must create externally and then use to replace the "Steam-Black" default in your project root folder. From there, the installer auto-picks the custom file.

Well, I already have an image file in that place, I can open it and look at it and it's really not that big - 105KB. It's not loading, however. Is it because it's larger than 100K? Or because my project is called "XCOM 2 Siege?"

I figured it out, and I should have known. ModBuddy is really really picky when you edit files outside the editor (as I'd need to, in order to put together the stupid pics I use for thumbnails). Turns out I needed to "Build Solution" for everything to take effect. Since I'm doing one of those "baby's first mod" attempts that's just changing six lines in two ini files, I forgot to do that. It's working OK now.

Preferably, these preview JPG's should be square (average 512x512 pixels) to circumvent the (quite ugly) re-sizing filter supplied by Steam-Workshop.

This is why i purposely gave my qUIck_RCP mod some 640x640 "Template", in fact.

• 2 years later...

How long does it take for Nexus to publish a mod? The Mod Publishing tutorial at Skyrim says "In a few seconds, you're gonna see your file in the latest files for all the world to see."

I submitted mine about 3 days ago and it still has not been published! I have continued to add images to it. Could that be why?

I found the problem. I had not said that I was ready to publish it. It is done now.