Favourite "old" game?

OblivionMajorMODDER

Colossal Cave Adventure (aka Advent), a text based game on the IBM mainframe from the 1970's. It was also the first game I modded. I was the sadist who randomized the "Twisty maze of rooms that all look alike". Check it out here.

Edited by RattleAndGrind

• 2 weeks later...

Myst. IMO it's a great story with close to no handholding, and what it lacks in graphics it more than makes up for in imagination. It remains one of the few games I've played where you weren't automatically routed to "correct" decisions, even the major one at the end.

Hoping for a VR edition of it someday, along with my two other favorite old games, Hydro Thunder and Silent Scope. :)

Edited by TheMastersSon

• 2 weeks later...

Hydro Thunder is at or near the top of my list. I first became a fan of its original arcade release, and the Dreamcast port was pretty much flawless. In fact we recently discovered there's such a thing as DC emulators and every one we've tried so far have run HT without a hitch. It's a kick to compare the DC/PC versions of this game side by side. The PC has a little more eye candy but the DC still easily beats it for immersion imo, both graphics and boat controls on the DC are much smoother. IMO it would make a pretty amazing VR port if Steven Ranck was interested.

If you want to try the game, the DC cdi file isn't hard to find online. Use a DC emulator like nullDC (good), Chankast (better) or demul (best we've found so far), all of which are free (I think).