Playing sounds in the CS

I hope someone has a solution to this. Whenever I double click on a sound icon to edit its properties, there is the option to play the sound so that you can hear what it sounds like, but when I click the play button nothing happens. Sound is fine in game. Is there something that I need to configure? It sure would be nice to be able to hear them inside the CS.

Thanks!

They have to be in their default location from where you unpack them. Unpack it to Data and it should be sorted from there.

Thanks, I was kind of afraid that would be the answer though. You have probably heard of the problem the engine has with extra data such as unused esp's and such in the data folder. Oh well, one can always keep them in a folder somewhere else and when needed, put them in the data folder and remove the folder when playing the game.

Thanks for helping a newbie modder!

They have to be in their default location from where you unpack them. Unpack it to Data and it should be sorted from there.

Thanks, I was kind of afraid that would be the answer though. You have probably heard of the problem the engine has with extra data such as unused esp's and such in the data folder. Oh well, one can always keep them in a folder somewhere else and when needed, put them in the data folder and remove the folder when playing the game.

Thanks for helping a newbie modder!

Actually if you want to seriously mod, you'd like to have your meshes decompress to be able to check what textures they use, which will make you want to decompress the textures so nifskope/3DS/Blender show them... So in other words, modder Oblivion is always f***ed up... On the other hand, simply copy your data folder and bring it back when you're done is not that hard... Just rename it.

You don't need to unpack them to play, Oblivion and to a certain extend thanks to the CSE the CS will be able to understand and preview correctly. Not Nifskope or Max (dunno if Blender can dig into BSAs, I doubt it).

So If you need to modify meshes or re-textures, you'll need to unpack.

You can unpack outside your Oblivion folder though, but not for CSE if you want the paths to be correct.

Thanks for all the input, I can't remember where I read it, but reportedly it does cause oblivions engine to 'thrash' when there is any kind of 'excess' data in the data folder , not just esp's. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, it's just something I read a few days ago. From what I remember, the article said that the engine seems to randomly search files and folders in the data folder, which as the article said, ...makes no sense. I'll try to find the original article and post a link.

Thanks for all the input, I can't remember where I read it, but reportedly it does cause oblivions engine to 'thrash' when there is any kind of 'excess' data in the data folder , not just esp's. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, it's just something I read a few days ago. From what I remember, the article said that the engine seems to randomly search files and folders in the data folder, which as the article said, ...makes no sense. I'll try to find the original article and post a link.

That could be interesting yes. I actually didn't followed my own advice and just try to work without textures in Nifskope, the BSAs are unpacked on another hard drive...