Skyrim Dinosaur Mod, Part 1: the Bare Basics

NecrisC

I was searching for a good dino mod, but couldn't one that was aesthetic, complete, and/or not bugged to crap. Then I came across this lovely Topic:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1672273-prehistoric-mod/page-3

Yes I know that there already is a dinosaur mod. But, no offence to the author, if you have ever seen it you probably understand why I don't exactly want to settle for it. It looks like new animations were probably planned. But much like the yet to be released Four-Legged/True Dragons mod (which I'm still waiting for, by the way), it has been left unfinished. And the raptors from Tropical Skyrim look too derpy for me, and are horribly unbalanced for a wolf replacer.

I would like to make a request, to the amazing creators of nexus, and beyond. For a functioning pseudo-immersive dinosaur mod. Much like my werebear idea I've allot of ideas I want to dump. But for the sake of shrinking attention spans, I'm cutting this idea of mine into two parts. This post will cover the bare basics of what I would like to see in this mod, I'm not going to infer that everybody wants this (even though they definitely do, they just don't know it yet). The second part is going to be about my loftier fantasies for the mod.

Pseudo-Immersive: The mammoths in-game are fantasy animals. Only based on real-world counter parts, while not breaking up the scene and feeling out of place. The dinosaurs in this mod, should have a similar "of Nirn, not Earth" theme. Being creatures of fantasy, with lore and world based names, that fit in to the areas that they inhabit, as if they were always there. While still looking much like actual dinosaurs.

And don't go telling me that they wouldn't fit into the skyrim setting. And balancing them would be hell, because they're too big. Unlike popular belief (according to science, as far as I know), dinosaurs actually inhabited a plethora of fair and harsh climates, yes even cold ones. They also came in many sizes, and sure they were big but they weren't BIG *cough*cough*JP*cough*. Also worthy of note, They also had proto-feathers, quills, and hair-like pycnofibres. (You may want to keep all these ideas in mind, for my third point)

Aesthetics: please avoid derpy models and animations. You only need to look at the raptors from Tropical Skyrim, to know what I mean. If at all possible, please use animations and models that fit the dino.

I know, new models are time consuming, and new animations can be terribly difficult (and time consuming). But this mod might require a fair bit of those, as not many in-game assets are very dino-like, although there are probably ways around this. There might be a couple of other monster and animal mods, that have their own original and tweaked animations that could be improved and/or built-off of. And there are many great dinosaur games and models out at the moment. (i.e. You may want to be prepared to scratch some backs, collaborate with other mods/modders, and site some external sources)

Originality: not just a rehash, of the same dinosaurs we've seen a hundred times. These are fantasy creatures and monsters, so the big theropod doesn't have to be another hulking "Not Technically a T-Rex". This isn't really an issue, I love Rexy and Velociraptor, but it'd be nice to see something interesting and different....Seriously, GO WILD!!!

Behaviour (Combat and AI): I Don't expect these dinos to be uber realistic and scientifically accurate, just that they look and vaguely act and feel, like fantasy dinosaurs.

The dragons have always been rather sadly underwhelming, and Alduin is a poor excuse for a boss. I forgave Bethesda for this, and got over long ago. But after all these years of chopping up "I'm-a-dragon" wannabe's in a state of boredom, it'd actually be quite satisfying to encounter something big, loud, and/or intimidating enough to actually send me running in the opposite direction. If any of you have ever played primal carnage on the human team, or were jumped by a Devilsaur, in the "Ye Olden Days" of WOW. You probably know what I'm talking about.

Now my fifth and final point, and I can't stress this enough....

Ease of Use: pretty self explanatory. Though I have my reasons to doubt this will be anything but easy to install. But at least make it NMM downloadable (maybe with an installer).

To all who read this, please comment down below, I'd very much like to hear your thoughts, opinions, and ideas about this. I really want to see this become a reality and not just another abandoned mod, forever alone on the workshop shelf. If I had the skill, time, or know how to make this mod, I wouldn't be posting this idea on the forums. I would be working my rear off to make it a happen. So please don't make a bunch of "Mayk it yer self" posts. I'm sure we've got enough boob physics, to last us till the second coming. It wouldn't hurt the Skyrim Jack-Off Economy, if at least one talented and amazing person started working on this mod.

If you feel like my previous insanity was just not "MAD" enough for you. Then perchance you'd like to see Part 2, here:

*Place holder*

You can also checkout my (updated) werebear idea, here (I'd still like to hear some ideas and opinions on this, as there are currently none):

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3750905-werebear-mod-ideas-possible-overhaulexpansion-mod

Edited by NecrisC

Hm, you are probably unaware, but the problem with new animations isn't that they are "just" hard to do (good luck finding anyone who would be capable of that) but there are serious engine limitations regarding their implementation.

edit: btw. the "derpy" raptor you are referring to is rigged to the werewolf skeleton, meaning it uses bethesda's animations. Just to give you an idea of what you are asking for: a multi million dollar studio with a dedicated animations department and whatever native tools they were using for implementation (which we do not have) came up with an animation you describe as "derpy". So, don't get your hopes up.

Edited by BigBizkit

You correct, I don't really don't know much about this, so I'm probably just ignorant. But there are many mods out there, that already add new animations and physics. Using vanilla skeletons, as well as new skeletons added by other mods. But most of these mods deal with humanoids, and already existing models. But there also many monster, dragon, and animal mods that add new models, that use existing skeletons and animations. There are also a few mods out on nexus, like the Sabre Cat Animation Fix Mod, that modify and tweak already existing animations. Knowing all of this. You can understand why I'd find it hard to believe, that someone couldn't possibly pull this off, because they didn't have the proper tools for the job. The only real issue (that someone else hasn't already overcome) that I can see being a problem; is having the know how, the time, and the interest/momentum to do it. But in that light, I'd like to bring attention back to the second part of my aesthetics point, particularly the last bit. For this mod, and any mod like this in the future (four-legged dragons, etc.), it maybe necessary for multiple modders to collaborate their efforts and experience (Passing the torch, or sharing the load, as it were). As well as use and tweak already existing assets, both in and out of Nexus and Skyrim (just remember to site the original sources. And give a brief synopsis of what was used, and any changes made. #legalbullcrap).

And, I don't see how money is an issue. Many great and talented modders, put forth their time of day to make and post multiple mods on nexus, sometimes a dozen or more. And as far as I know, they don't see to much compensation for their hard work (unless the mod becomes insanely popular). Or is that not the point, of mod sites like Nexus.

I also didn't mean any offense, in terms of the raptor. And it's not the werewolf animations themselves, that I described as "derpy". It is more or less the combination of the unfitting animations, soundfx, the model used, and the overall delivery (being left helpless, and constantly getting knocked over and flung around, by what is supposed to be a wolf) of that specific npc (not the mod itself, as Tropical Skyrim is actually a gorgeous mod) that "kicks the kitten" (#scornbeupontheinhumanmonsterthatactuallydoesthis!!!! #IRL). They don't exactly scream "Raptor" to me.

Edited by NecrisC

You could also say: "We can fly from one end of the world to the other in a matter of hours, we have been to the moon, and people have circumvented the earth in orbit, so it should be possible to fly a manned spaceship to venus, right?"

Well, no, not at the time.

Anyway, I am not here trying to crap on people's dreams, but your request ranks among the least likely to happen I have read and I wanted to tell you why. You were respectful in your phrasing, but too often I read similar requests phrased along the lines of "why haven't modders thought of this yet??". Truth of the matter is: the nexus would be crawling with new creature models and custom skeletons + animations if it was as easy as people think it was.

• 7 months later...