Fallout New Vegas: Character turns invisible

eLucifer

Open loading a save, on third person view, my character turns invisible. I'm not talking about the stealth field, it turns COMPLETELY invisible, like NOTHING is in there. Only the shadow remains. NPC do see me and act according to my actions.In first person view, everything works fine.

I tried changing the apparel I wear, but that did not affect anything at all. The only way to be visible again is to die and let the game load the latest save.

Here's my load order:

[X] FalloutNV.esm

[X] DeadMoney.esm

[X] HonestHearts.esm

[X] PipboyRemover.esm

[X] CompanionInfAmmo.esm

[X] RH_IRONSIGHTS_NV.esm

[X] RH_IronSights_NV_Vanilla.esp

[X] PerkEveryLevel.esp

[X] nomorerespawn.esp

[X] FreeplayafterMQNVv1_6.esp

[X] SpecialEveryFiveLevels.esp

[X] Starke's Seperate Chinese Stealth Armor Helmet NV (OA Version).esp

[X] VaultTecPowerArmor.esp

[X] return_deadmoney.esp

[X] Ammo Use 1 & Quest Tag Remover.esp

[X] Murdelizer.esp

[ ] SaveCass.esp

Also, I think the problem is with one of the save files, not all. Because you see, I have three characters. One of the characters wear the Legate Armor(that I tagged as playable using the GECK), and the problem occurs if I load that save first. If I load another save after that one, the character of the second save turns invisible too.

PS: I never encountered this problem in Fallout 3 before, which is strange, I think.

Update: The problem is with the save file mentioned in the previous post. I'm sure of it(doesn't happen if I load other saves first).

This happens to me fairly regularly where my character becomes invisible bu tusually it is short lived. Sometimes it comes back on its own shortly, sometimes it comes back semi-transparent like an ethereal figure you can see right through. If it doesn't fully restore itself within 5 to 10 seconds I have found that doing a full save and then reloading seems to clear it up. I run with basically no mods except the ones I'm testing, so basically one or two very small mods.

I've never had the character remain invisible after reloading the game though, if that happened I'd try to go back to an earlier save.

Somehow I don't think its your mods, this started happening to me a lot more after 1.3 came out ... prior to that it happened, but was extremely rare. Now its almost a daily occurence, thought as I said most of the time it fixes itself pretty fast. Come to think of it, I havent defragged my HD in quite awhile maybe its time again.

• 3 years later...

I've had this problem on one of my toons for quite a long time and have never been able to fix it permanently. It started around the time I played a continue after ending mod (not CAGE) from a long time ago. Removing that mod had no effect other than making my game unplayable. It has nothing to do with missing meshes/textures, I know what those look like. She has a shadow and sometimes, briefly you can see her body when switching back and forth from 1rst to 3rd person while jumping around but it fades away entirely very quickly. Can still see hands and weapons in 1rst person. Can't see the first person body (have a mod that lets you see your chest, legs & feet. The only way to get the body to show up after I start up the game is to go to 3rd person, save and then load the save I just made. Got in the habit of just typing in console save showme followed by load showme. Also, if I forget to go to 3rd person first the body will not show up so it has to be in 3rd person. When I quit out of the game or load another save not made while in 3rd person she will be invisible again and I will have to do the save/load trick again.

• 3 months later...

I started having this problem with a few saves and couldn't find a solution that worked online... creating new saves and reloading from them didn't fix it for me. I played around with the console and did manage to find a couple of commands that seems to have things back to normal.

First, I scrolled into first person view and used the console command 'player.resurrect'. It brought back my body, though if I switched into third person view the body immediately sank into the ground. Using my hotkeys to equip another weapon and running a little seemed to fix this. Pulling up the pipboy at this point worked but had all blank screens so I couldn't do anything with the pipboy. I managed to fix this using the console command 'resetpipboymanager'.

In a nutshell, try:

1) Go to first person view (I use the scroll wheel on the mouse)

2) type player.resurrect in the console (then close it)

3) Equip a weapon using your hotkeys and move around a few steps

4) open the console and type 'resetpipboymanager'

5) test third person view and pipboy and if both are working, save it in a new save spot :smile:

*WARNING* As a disclaimer, resurrect messes up things when used on the player... it may wipe out any perks you have or mess with quests. I used it as an alternative to losing the save completely as the past few manual saves I had for this were all affected somehow. I readded the perks I had chosen earlier manually using the console but I'm not sure what other long term effects resurrecting will have on this game. It may be that using 'player.resurrect 1' is a better option, but maybe not.

Edited by borgenhaust

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

wen i went on today my character was glitched in the ground and completely invisible int 1st and 3rd person :sad: any ideas on how to fixx it?

Did you manage to solve this problem? Just having it myself.

Are you using a custom race? if so check the mod that contains it is active, that sounds like what happens when the race you're playing doesn't exist any more.

• 3 months later...