Help with psionic feedback animation

Ghostlines

So, I'm working on a custom reaction ability, Psi Feedback. It's meant to trigger when the unit with the ability is directly attacked by a hostile psionic ability, and can happen once per turn. It's meant to do guaranteed psionic damage (using Soulfire damage right now), and I want it to use the psi_fuse perk archetype/animation

Here's what I have working:

* Triggering when attacked by a hostile psionic ability

* Applying Soulfire psionic damage when triggered

There are two pieces that just aren't working yet, and thus this call for help:

1. My copied psi_fuse perk (now associated with my Psi_Feedback_Pulse triggered ability) never shows. I can set the custom fire animation fine, they do the psionic windup with the amplifier, but the fuse animation never triggers. I've been able to get custom perks to show fine in the past (a custom energy shield effect), but there's something new in play here thwarting me that I don't understand.

2. Once I can get 1 working, I want to have the (copied Fuse) perk animation to happen without the windup cast animation. The idea of this power is that it isn't "fired" by the soldier, the feedback pulse just happens. I'd like to know what the approach is for separating the custom fuse animation from the psi amplifier firing animation.

Too tired to post code right now, so I'll get to that tomorrow. In the meantime, hoping there are a few veterans here who have worked with the fuse perk, or happen to know how to divorce the ability animation from the firing animation.