⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Can I run New Vegas without running Steam?

eLucifer

I know the choice is mine and that I don't have to buy games that need Steam. I'm simply letting Bethesda know that I love their games but hate their involvement with Steam.

what makes you think that Bethesda reads this independent forum

Well, if they do then they know how I feel, and if they don't, it's only my time I've been wasting.

Well i really doubt they do read these forums. But even on their own forums they don't read the postings only Admin and Moderators. I have the DLC's on a Disk that came with the Game for FO3, i had to just go to their Site or one of many others to download the patches for FO3. Steam auto patches the game which i don't like. Some patches have been know to break the game of Fall Out New Vegas. And then not all mods are compatible with patches either. I have shut everything down with Steam as far as i can. And if i Shut Steam Down it's self, it tells me to shut my game off, or it does it for me. And they wonder why some people try to hack Steam out of their gaming. Me i believe in being Legal. Though with this type of system that they decided to use for the game....well i have not bought any other Steam related game since and i won't. And i know of many many others that are doing the same thing. So who does this hurt, me, the gaming company , the Dev's? I think gaming in general.

What I was trying to get across though was the fact that even in Offline mode you are Still connected to Steam, to play and Off-line perfectly Legally Purchased Game. And whether it's in the Eula or not matters not to me, those change all the time even after you have bought the game and are playing it. If you are playing in Offline Mode then once Steam has seen that your copy of the game is a Legal copy and the DRM checks out, it should shut down but doesn't, it continues to run in the background, even after you have left the game. Having watch the Processes going on my system, Steam still shows activity Hours after I quit playing. So I wonder what they could possibly be getting from my Gaming system? When i shut down my system i have to force shut the system down as it tells me it's waiting for Steam to quit.

I don't use their Friends Software or their Store or even want any achievements logged. I don't play with anyone else, except on Team Speak. I will put this on their Forums to, but as i said i doubt any Company official would read it, so it wouldn't go anywhere. I have been in forums and dealt with Dev's and done extensive Beta Testing on several games and been Modding a couple of games for many many years. And i to had to use Steam with the later version of HF2 the Orange Box, Boy was that a headache. Steam was always giving some sort of problem. DRM is whats killing Gaming. I still remember when you bought a game and loaded it up and it didn't even have a code you just played it. Now you have to have and online connection no matter what.

And it's nice to know others feel this way, it is what makes gamers, and the gaming community stronger. By being able to discuss these errant problems that Company's put on gaming and the community's that game different games. It's really the only way to voice it and for people to understand they aren't alone. When Gamers can take problems to the Company's that produce these games, and you get enough voices then Dev's and Publishers might take a look at what they are doing. As it's all about Money and Ratings. And this is a large forum dedicated to this game, and many other games that uses company's like Steam and these Forums are well known to. So who knows maybe some of their people read these postings sometimes , you never know.

Hi YellowEagle, that's a lengthy post so I won't quote you for the sake of space...

Firstly, whether Bethesda watch this forum or not can only be a matter for speculation unless they actually post. I run a cruising forum (that's ships, not the other kind!) and I know for a fact that although no one from a cruise line ever posts, they certainly have us on their 'watch lists'.

Like you, I've watched the Steam's process busily doing something while I've closed down everything except the tray icon and I've also wondered what it's up to. I use a program de-activator that shuts down processes automatically when they've been idle for a certain time, but it isn't able to shut down Steam.

Would I buy games in future if they use Steam? My answer is yes, reluctantly - I'd buy anything in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series because I'm hooked on those. I don't want Steam, but it's a price I'm prepared to pay to get these games. But if I'm browsing for other games and I see the '...requires Steam account to activate' message on the box, I'll say 'no thanks!'

i agree i want a way that comepleay disables steam i found it causes my game to crash the most or makes my game unable to load sayinf some excuse to the point i have to restart steam inorder to play it.. its 1 of the worst (in my book ALL DRMs are illegal f*** the makers) they go agesnt ur rights by spying on u they way i see it.

my copy it a lagel copy since i bought it threw steam because my store did not carry it anymore..

i always fine my steam going 100,000KP so i no its doing something its not so-post to.. >_>

I had a few months ago sent in a support ticket on the offline thing, it to was a bit lengthy so sorry about the long postings but i try to clarify anything i discuss so as to not give the wrong impression on a discussion. One of the things i did ask them was: What is the information that they were getting from my system. Among many other things, funny all i got was instructions to remove Steam except 2 files. Which reloaded Steam back on my system, and no answers to any of my questions. Though it did send several Beta games to my account to try. Though none of them are the types of games that I would even want to test much less play.

The account I have shows them just the type of games I do play, though I keep as many of my games off of the Steam account as I can. And when I find one of my games that isn't directly Steam related on that account I remove it. Yeah it has been know to put fallout 3 ( the version I have is not Steam related ) on my Steam account, and it wouldn't start without Steam. I removed the game from my system and reloaded it and a friend set it up so It wouldn't be locked to Steam. Don't know what she did but it worked. Though the sad thing is I have to check the account once in a while to make sure nothing but Fallout NV is the only one on the account.

They should have a place like some of the other DRM sites for opting out when you load a game like Game Spy does. You need it to play some games online. But for Offline you don't need it and can opt out of it even loading to your system.

I do a lot of mods for friends that are Physically Challenged so they can play games. Fallout New Vegas is one of these games. When I have the Mods finished I will take New Vegas off my systems. And close out the Steam account. Will be sticking to Fallout 3 I guess. It's to bad as I really do like Fallout New Vegas to, it'll just go into my Library of " Has Beens Games ". unless they come up with a way to make Steam as not needed to play. You see being this is and " Offline " game and I find it Petty of Bethesda to force you into a Online contract to play and Offline Single Player Game. I will never recommend these type of games, and i belong to a lot of gaming Sites and do Articles and reporting on Gaming in general on some of these Sites.

If I was Rating Fallout New Vegas I would give it a 10 out of 10, even with it's problems, but since it's done the way it's done with having Steam, I would only give it a 2.

Now to see if i can find my forum account stuff for their forums, might as well post the meat of this over there though won't make much difference, they already have made what they wanted on the game. Steam is the only one benefiting from Gamers on this game now. Just like to know what they are getting from my system. Other gamers would probably be very surprised.

And as for getting the Game you can order it direct from Amazon or many other Sites. Having a Disk on any game is better in my book then just a Download. Ok Ok i give up the soapbox to someone else now hehehe.

I've enjoyed reading YellowEagle's posts. I really don't care for Steam and I miss the old days when we had a simple CD/DVD check. As far as I'm concerned I don't care about the stuff Steam offers, I don't buy games from Steam and I don't see the point in chatting with "friends" when I'm playing a single player game.

The problem is that not only do we have to run Steam to get to activate and play the game but we have to keep it running at all time to play the game...

Well on another Note, other then the bad point of Steam:

I do have to admit that this game does have a huge following, what with the amount of mod files that are uploaded to the Nexus. And to the Nexus you guys ROCK, and to all the Modders out there that have spent all your time making new ways and content for these games you ROCK to. I don't know of any other system that would make it possible to be able to load as many mods as a person wants to play in a game, as these games do. I'm remodding FO-3, though it's really a compilation for a friend of many mods. Just the things that he likes to play. Though i won't be uploading this, I may make something in the future to be uploaded, once I really get into the Geck. I generally Mod games like Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl and UT2004 and some minor things for Crysis.

Having played many of the mods in the games of Fallout I am impressed. It is a very immersive set of games. Many of the mods make it even more immersive. I did notice a couple of Stalker Modders had made a mod or 2 for fallout 3 to. I thought of doing one later to upload, but after looking through the huge data base of mods on the Site, don't know if it would be worth it, as so much of the games of Fallout have been covered in almost every aspect of the game. Hope this game never dies but keeps on. This is the one Great golden spot on these games is it's community of Modders and it's Huge community of people that play the Game. Steam is it's only downside. Would hope that they do come out with another edition of the game, only without Steam, especially with this great community of Gamers.

I feel like I should mention piracy is not permitted on this forum. Users who suggest piracy or are found to have pirated versions of the game will most likely be banned. Certain copies of New Vegas intended for international sale in countries with more internet access/bandwidth issues were released. these versions did not require steam. That is the only way I know of to run New Vegas without Steam.