Porting Request

Unlimitedrevolver

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you want it for I suppose.

Does it come with clothes, and you want those?

Or you like the face and you want that?

If it needs head edit, that's pretty hard to do and I wouldn't touch it personally.

There's no clothing, however I believe the creator used the HGEC body mod. I think the head mesh was changed as the face is slightly rounded. The mod has eye, ear, mouth, eyelash, hair, and body textures/meshes. I personally don't care about the body, however it's probably needed to make sure the body color is the same as the face. The mouth probably isn't needed(not lips), since it's probably possible to use FNV's mouth. Everything else I would like to keep. By the way, shouldn't I only have to change the meshes and .esp files to be compatible, or do the textures need to be converted as well?

FYI - You can mod your game however you want. If you have Halo and you want to rip assets out of that game and stick it in Fallout, you can do that. You just cannot distribute those assets...not even when asking others for help to convert it.

The problem with porting tutorials is that once you post it, people will invariably need help and as soon as you upload it for distribution to anyone, you are going to get busted by us...assuming you are posting download links on the Nexus for the end-result or as just assets for help fixing something.

LHammonds (File Admin)

The problem with porting tutorials is that once you post it, people will invariably need help and as soon as you upload it for distribution to anyone, you are going to get busted by us...assuming you are posting download links on the Nexus for the end-result or as just assets for help fixing something.

LHammonds (File Admin)

So what you're saying is, I can't get a tutorial for porting the mod, because it's technically the same as converting and releasing the mod publicly? So basically it's indirect stealing...?

...so can people direct me to guides that would aid in converting this? By that I mean separate guides that don't necessarily teach you how to convert mods.

Well. I'll help you out a little here. If I'm remembering correctly about what Invalidfate said about Head Meshes when he ported the Moonshadow or whatever race it was... You can basically pass the headmesh through the Blender and export as a Fallout file assuming you know what you are doing. Conversion tutorials already exist and it's pretty simple Blender work. The .egm and .tri files, also should be interchangeable between Oblivion and Fallout so no conversion work is necessary, as that would essentially be the most complex part of all this if you actually had to do it. Textures are interchangeable. The HGEC body has already been converted to Fallout. You really only have to pass all the meshes through Blender and basically port them to Fallout form, which isn't very hard. As for the Hair Meshes, there is a tutorial on Fallout 3 Nexus article sections. Quetzlsacatanango has a tutorials that could assist you too.

Basically, you just need to learn how to use Blender, NifSkope, and GECK. There are tutorials for all three of these tools. Once you do that, you can probably use the bit of information I posted above to successfully port the race over.

Well. I'll help you out a little here. If I'm remembering correctly about what Invalidfate said about Head Meshes when he ported the Moonshadow or whatever race it was... You can basically pass the headmesh through the Blender and export as a Fallout file assuming you know what you are doing. Conversion tutorials already exist and it's pretty simple Blender work. The .egm and .tri files, also should be interchangeable between Oblivion and Fallout so no conversion work is necessary, as that would essentially be the most complex part of all this if you actually had to do it. Textures are interchangeable. The HGEC body has already been converted to Fallout. You really only have to pass all the meshes through Blender and basically port them to Fallout form, which isn't very hard. As for the Hair Meshes, there is a tutorial on Fallout 3 Nexus article sections. Quetzlsacatanango has a tutorials that could assist you too.

If you could post a link to the conversion tutorials, I would be very grateful. When you say pass it through Blender, are you saying I can just open the file in Blender, click on "save as" and save it as a Fallout 3 formatted mesh? Sorry if this is easier than I'm making it, I'm new to modding/mesh-texture creating. Also do you know what the HGEC mod's name is? I searched not too long ago and couldn't find it.

The only actual assets from that mod are hair meshes which mostly are from Coolsims mods from the game The Sims 2. So what it basicly does is borrow some parts an assemble them into a working race. Then there was work to get rid of seams. You see some of the same meshes that have already been ported to FO3 an even FNV already. So it's not exactly a question of if that modder will let you use that mod. Even if it does say not to ever re-hash this content. You can always ask the creator with a PM.

I've had to ask a person 3 seperate times over a years time, which they declined letting me use the content untill that last time. In fact most of the time if you write a nice PM to them they will let you use it pending credits or a link. However you still don't know what it is about that race that you like the most, you like the whole thing, I get it, but you have nothing to focus on an therefore no glue to hold the project together when it becomes this huge blown way out of proportion 200 Mb monster beast race.

Reverced bump!

If you could post a link to the conversion tutorials, I would be very grateful. When you say pass it through Blender, are you saying I can just open the file in Blender, click on "save as" and save it as a Fallout 3 formatted mesh? Sorry if this is easier than I'm making it, I'm new to modding/mesh-texture creating. Also do you know what the HGEC mod's name is? I searched not too long ago and couldn't find it.

Edited by GrindedStone

The only actual assets from that mod are hair meshes which mostly are from Coolsims mods from the game The Sims 2. So what it basicly does is borrow some parts an assemble them into a working race. Then there was work to get rid of seams. You see some of the same meshes that have already been ported to FO3 an even FNV already. So it's not exactly a question of if that modder will let you use that mod. Even if it does say not to ever re-hash this content. You can always ask the creator with a PM.

I've had to ask a person 3 seperate times over a years time, which they declined letting me use the content untill that last time. In fact most of the time if you write a nice PM to them they will let you use it pending credits or a link. However you still don't know what it is about that race that you like the most, you like the whole thing, I get it, but you have nothing to focus on an therefore no glue to hold the project together when it becomes this huge blown way out of proportion 200 Mb monster beast race.

Reverced bump!

Well, I got permission from the author to convert it for personal use. So now I just need some tutorials to get me going. Also since I'm a "noob" in modding, I basically need tutorials that hold my hand as I convert this.

Also thanks for all the replies so far, and sorry for me probably being a pain in the neck.

Edit: Really the hairs don't matter too much, it's more of the face I'm wanting to convert as well as the faces' shape.

Edited by Unlimitedrevolver

You actually need to learn how to use Blender before it gets easy. Anyway, here are the links to the Fallout 3 and New Vegas Nexus Article Wikis. Blender won't inherently open .nif files, you will need to install the Python scripts and all that. LHammonds kindly packed everything you will need together a long time ago, here. Follow the instructions. It isn't as all a daunting task as it really seems. The file size primarily comes from the Coolsims conversions as well as the massive textures. Since you are converting this for your own usage, you don't really have to ask for permission... Although if you did want to release this, Anto is a cool guy and would let you use his Hair Meshes if you ask, as for the textures and other things, you would have to ask the original author of the Synx race, etc. What I suggest doing, is well, read up on the various tutorials and get a feel for the tools of the trade before you do anything. Once you gain some actual knowledge in what does what, you can apply it to other things. For instance, you can apply the basics of Quetzlsacatanango's Armor Mashups Article to the conversion of meshes from Oblivion and etc. As for that HGEC body, looks like the author removed it. Lastly, you might want to take a run through Blender Noob to Pro. You don't have to finish the entire tutorial, just follow it enough to know how to navigate the tool.