Porting Request

Unlimitedrevolver

You actually need to learn how to use Blender before it gets easy. Anyway, here are the links to the Fallout 3 and New Vegas Nexus Article Wikis. Blender won't inherently open .nif files, you will need to install the Python scripts and all that. LHammonds kindly packed everything you will need together a long time ago, here. Follow the instructions. It isn't as all a daunting task as it really seems. The file size primarily comes from the Coolsims conversions as well as the massive textures. Since you are converting this for your own usage, you don't really have to ask for permission... Although if you did want to release this, Anto is a cool guy and would let you use his Hair Meshes if you ask, as for the textures and other things, you would have to ask the original author of the Synx race, etc. What I suggest doing, is well, read up on the various tutorials and get a feel for the tools of the trade before you do anything. Once you gain some actual knowledge in what does what, you can apply it to other things. For instance, you can apply the basics of Quetzlsacatanango's Armor Mashups Article to the conversion of meshes from Oblivion and etc. As for that HGEC body, looks like the author removed it. Lastly, you might want to take a run through Blender Noob to Pro. You don't have to finish the entire tutorial, just follow it enough to know how to navigate the tool.

Thanks for the links to the tutorials and such. I don't plan on releasing anything, but if I do in the future I'll make sure to get permission first. I guess it's time to start reading...

Also do you know if there's any hairstyle for male characters like the one in my picture?

Edited by Unlimitedrevolver

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the Male Sim Hairs look like that actually. They are not converted to Fallout though besides the small bundle of Coolsims and Room meshes in Mikoto's or Makoto's or whatever, and in Lings that SydneyB converted for Fallout 3. Once you figure how Blender works, you could probably do a tweak of the short hair Coolsims mesh to get it to look a lot more like the one in your picture.

You need a custom race first. It's more easy to work with race type data in FO3 edit.

1. Launch FO3 edit, hit okay to load the whole load order you have installed. Watch the screen an wait for it to say finished or go get a coffee.

2. Click the + button next to Fallout.esm to open up that tree, Find race, find the race you want to start with, probably white, but you can add the others in later which would be really cool.

3. Right click the race, you can do this in the left window, or if you just left click that it will display in the right window, showing the entire entry which you can right click on the top of that (the name of the mod)

4. What you are looking for is the "Copy as new record into" rather than Copy as override, once you click "Copy as new record into" it will prompt the silly timer that makes you think a bomb is going to go off, ignore that for 3 seconds an hit yes I'm sure.

5. Now It prompts you to change the form ID, To make things easy change Caucasian to zzzCaucasianSynxPort You added the zzz at the start because later you will have to find this in a list an it just makes it more easy, also by using a custom prefix that is in all your content you make it globaly easy to find, as well as unique from other modders for example I put my area code at the end of most of the stuff I make out of habit, that is if I don't name it some thing totally stupid just to keep things fun. Hit okay.

6. Now it will ask you what file you want to copy this entry into, at the bottom is "new file" check that box an hit okay, now you need to figure out a name for your mod (you can rename it later if needed) Name it something fun like MUCKABUCKPLAUSH_2.0Beta67 hit okay

7. It will prompt you that such an such needs to be added to this file as a master. You see this in both ways you can copy, which it's a judgement call if it's okay to add that mod as a master. In this case we are adding Fallout3.esm as a master which mostly all mods use as a master. What that means is that anything that is inside Fallout3.esm can be used inside MUCKABUCKPLAUSH_2.0Beta67.esp. Hit okay

8. Now in the left window scroll down to the bottom an you will see the MUCKABUCKPLAUSH_2.0Beta67.esp listed as a mod in dark bold, the bold means it hasn't been saved yet, if you wana learn how to do that just press Ctrl S which will prompt to save, anytime you are about to do something you are not sure about, just save it before hand an if you mess up you can just exit an not save, then reload.

9. Go back up to fallout.esm an find NPC, this is listed as Non player character an is kind of hard to find, once you find it open it up, you will need to adjust the windows size an collum size so that you can see the names of all the NPC's, Then you wana left click the top of the collum named editor ID this will put that list into order by editor ID rather than by form ID. This way you can find all the race presets NPC.

10. Go down to CGPresetCaucasianF01 an you see that there are 20 of them, 10 female an 10 male, these are the faces you see in game when you create a character. Hold Ctrl an left click each of them until you have all of them highlighted, note you can also use the marque select, drag out a box over them to select, once they are selected right click, and "Copy as new record into"

11. This will prompt you to remove a prefix from these entries if needed, in this case if you wanted to you could remove CGPresetCaucasian from these entries, then add your own in the next step, I picked to add the prefix SynxPort, which seemed okay, but you don't have to pick anything really, though it's a good idea to change them from what it is in case a script refrences it, but it's not likely here, anywho...

12. However you want to name them, just keep the FO1 FO2 an MO1 MO2 at the end, this will make it easy to set up faces in these slots later on, Now though go down to your mod at the bottom, an close the + then open it again, as you paste stuff in it doesn't automaticly update trees that are already opened, so it's good practice to manually refresh it. You should see that there are now 20 new NPC's that you pasted in.

13. You can close the + sign for the Fallout.esm because it's large an in the way, you won't need it for a while. You know what, hit Ctrl S an save the mod, then hit X in the window to close it, then load it up again, don't forget to checkmark your mod, so it loads too.

14. Now it's not dark bold in the NPC's you pasted in, so it will be easy for you to tell as you work your way down the list of all 20, don't worry it's not that hard but a trick that might come in handy laters, go to the first NPC, which should be the FO1, left click that so that the entry is displayed in the right window.

15. You should see the part of this entry that says RNAM - Race Caucasian "Caucasian" [RACE:00000019], left click the box with Caucasian "Caucasian" [RACE:00000019] in it, wait a second or two, then left click it again, this will open the autobox as I call it, you see the dark arrow to the right, click that an it will open up a window with every possible selection for this type of form. Scroll all the way to the bottom an you see that zzzCaucasianSynxPort is all the way down at the bottom, easy to find, select that hit enter.

16. Now you see that your custom race is listed for this NPC, Right click that box an pick edit, this will open up a box where you can manually input the name, but also you can Ctrl C to copy that, which will make it more easy to switch than using the autobox to select the race for the remaining 20 entries.

17. This part isn't that hard, you just left click the next one, then right click the race box, pick edit, then Ctrl V to paste in your race into all 20.

18. Save it

Now the important parts of the Race entry. Go to the Race in your mod, click it so that it's displayed in the right window.

**In FO3 it needs to have a older an younger race, younger in particular because you start the game as a child, so if you have a custom race then you need a custom child race two with the two races linked in these spots.

** move the collum in the right window so that you can see the names of the body models, this starts with head data for male, then female, then male body, then female body. It's actually more easy to select the models an textures in the GECK, which shouldn't mess this race up at this point, the geck can mess up things sometimes though. so you can always input stuff here. Though all you would need to ever change is the Model path to your custom meshes, the other part that is listed as ICON - Large Icon filename is actually the defuse (base) texture for the mesh, (you should set them in the .nif as well with nifscope)

** move down a little further an you see Hair an Eyes, find the top block that is empty next to the name HNAM - Hairs, right click it an select Add which will add a empty block in there that says NULL - Null Reference [00000000] If you have hairs or eyes you have created, then it's just a matter of using the autobox or copy paste the name into this part you added. Eyes and Hair has it's own form type just like Race or NPC so you have to add those in an I'm not sure you can even do that with GECK as far as creating new ones, you can here though.

** Down at the very bottom is the FACGEN data for this Race, it controls the basic changes on the meshes for the character before it gets to the actual NPC part, All the edits inside the different NPC facegen presets (which is a flag that can be set on any NPC btw if you wana create more than 10 of each) is all Facegen data which is based on the Races base facegen data you see here. this is why when you port FO3 characters to the FNV game under the same race, they look like trash, it's because this data is different between the two games, just like for TES races. This is all based off the meshes for the human head an textures, so you have mesh, race facegen, NPC facegen which yeilds the final shape.

** To access Facegen data you use the long form editor, hold shift an double click the box for the facegen data you want, an it opens a long editor because facegen is a long string of hex looking code.

** Now go to NPC, doesn't matter which preset you pick, click one so it will display in the right window, scroll to the bottom an you see the facegen data here, just above that is a little box called Head Parts PNAM - Head Part, right click that empty box an pick add, an now you can add eyelashes if you have a mesh which is just like hair, it has it's own form type, so you would need to create one point it to your mesh then point the NPC facegen to use that on it's head, just like eyebrows (which is another part that needs editing) Eyebrows, sheesh...

** The types of Facegen are simple, you have the shape, at the top, FGGS facgen geo symetrical, below that is Asymmetrical which isn't really used, an below that is the texture data, this is applied on top of the base textures, an servers to really only ruin them, At least for most of my Player character I will zero out this texture facegen data, this way whatever is displayed in the actual textures is what you see in game, which yields more control when it comes to necklines and wristlines. You can either create a new race in GECK an don't touch anything else, save it in a file you throw away later an get the exact amount of zeros or you can just guess.

** If I see a character in the game that is good looking, then I steal the facegen data from that character, put it in a custom race thru a new record for that NPC, then I will enter the game an create a new face using that characters face as a base, make edits to make them look nice, an then I'll steal that facegen data from a save game from the Facegen ripper tool or Facegen extractor, then I paste that over what I started with, so it's always there. 10 presets in FO3, 10 in FNV which are also good bases to use to create from.

Edited by GrindedStone

Yah it's the same thing basicly across them. The only real thing that is different is the Facegen data for the race itself which is different from one game to the next making it impossible to use FO3 characters in FNV without that data input into a race, but once you figure that out it's kind of cool cross mixing them. I added pretty much the general idea when I work with races, it can be pretty hard when you first try it. Dang it's still pretty long, I should make videos huh. Edited by GrindedStone

Anyone know where that red dress is above?

I started with the New Vegas Hispanic race (because sunny is this race)

Adding eyelashes now. Then maybe HGEC is what it's called, which ever one matches the dress I reckon.

Didn't find the hair inside that Synx mod either. There's a similar an one that's up, I wouldn't call it desert wear, LOL.