a script that affects all npcs

- There is a mod by Fliggerty that does exactly what you ask. Improved Hand to Hand

- Sneak skill on NPCs is rather pointless don't you think. Who are they sneak onto?

- This is possible, but requires MWSE scripting to detect when NPC is equipscrossbow and apply the fortification.

Morrowind scripting doesn't have a function to affect NPCs without specific ID. You need MWSE.

PS: I guess you are new to modding morrowind. Check out couple of guides, to understand how things work. Indigo's Morrowind Guide and Scripting for dummies v9. Those help to understand the limits of the CS, what can and can't be done.

Also, if you have time check these numerous tutorials -- CLICK

the NPC's sneak skill determines their chance to SPOT THE PLAYER, I have tested this and NPC's chance to spot you gets lowered dramatically as their sneak skill goes down. lowered sneak skill = less likely to spot you.

and the improved hand to hand mod, I didn't like it because it will kill most enemies before they get knocked out, and I want hand to hand to still stay "non-fatal".

I'll look and see what I can learn about scripting with MWSE, hopefully it won't get too complicated.