Black Desert Online

Tuco404

Having a ton of fun in BDO. There is so much depth to this game and while the quests aren't gear the graphics and world are amazing.

Black Desert Online is a sandbox MMO

It was out in KR in 2014, but is releasing this week.

http://nichegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/black-desert-online-10-14-15-1.jpg

Is anyone else playing?

My guild, PRX ( www.prx-guild.com ) is on Edan. I'm playing a Sorcereress. I'm most excited for the siege and castle PvP. In our last game, ArcheAge, we've held a castle on Kyrios from the time they're available to now (15 months!) and had a lot of fun defending it.
Edited by Tuco404

I was interested when it was Free-to-Play. I lost interest when I found out that North American and EU members would be paying to help keep the game free for Japanese, Korean and Russian players. That sort of inconsistency isn't really appreciated by me, it should have been F2P OR B2P. Not both. Just my opinion. Shame though, it looks amazing (graphically).

like most eastern rpgs, it would be grind, bad gameplay but pretty to look at. PASS.

It depends on how you define a grind... Most MMOs in general are a grind in some way... either by means of equipment grind or level grind.

From what I've seen of this game, most the usual grinding has been solved for. Quests auto-complete if you've done them with a character previously. Crafting and gathering can be managed by means of hired workers. The game has automatic pathing so in most cases you can set a destination, go make yourself a snack, and come back to find yourself at the location. The leveling progression still requires about 20-30 hours spent killing things and doing quests, so that isn't even close to being unreasonable. The equipment progression isn't very bad either since large enemies out in the desert can drop higher tier equipment and everything else can be crafted or gained from quests or random killing.

The only real grind I've seen with this game is in relation to the top-tier pvp grind... Where you are looking at months spent for BiS equipment, meanwhile dealing with the alignment and bounty system. Which, in my opinion, is a fair requirement so that people who want to be a badass pker have to actually work for that kind of thing instead of buying all their equipment outright, buying their levels outright, and just using their statistical advantage to steamroll through everyone else. There's no person to person trading, there's no buyable wealth, and everything sold through the auction house has a minimum price associated with it.

Ultimately, things are only a grind if they are a repeatable action that you don't enjoy for the promise of some end state that you might enjoy. It's not for everyone, not everyone has the same definition of a grind, but MMOs in general have become much more friendly to casual players who don't want to invest 3 hours a day completing dailies over a course of 3-4 months in order to unlock their next tier of equipment. And understandably so, since casual gamers pay the same amount or more into a game on average while utilizing fewer system resources (due to being logged off) on average.

• 3 months later...

Valencia is releasing tomorrow. Anyone still playing BDO?
My guild, PRX, is doing well. We were one of four groups to take a region in the first round of sieges and are totally pumped for the Valencia content.

Nope, quit a few months ago. They screwed up the point of PvP and forced random, consequence free PK down everyone's throat for the benefit of nobody but trolls. After the guild I was in was set with months of continual war from a number of larger guilds... As in a single guild declared war once and maintained that war for months... Multiplied by 3 other guilds... Solely for the purpose of being able to PK members of the guild freely (nevermind the open verbal harassment of GMs and officers), it became clear that the management of the game was broken. Guild wars cost nothing beyond the initial cost of declaring, so people abused it. Instead of guild wars being an intended goldsink and limiting factor among larger guilds, people became stupidly rich in a short span of time and threw off the rate of equipment progression. Instead of random PK having the risk of dealing with Karma, being open to attack by anyone if you murdered someone recently, and having the risk of equipment loss on death... It became a slap in the wrist and a 15 minute karma grind to recover from even large amounts of negative karma. With a number of level 55 characters getting bored from being fully geared, they just started camping level 50-54 areas for fun. With a number of large guilds having no meaningful reason to fight eachother, they just started fighting and griefing smaller guilds to ensure their place at the top.

Has probably improved since then... But the damage is already done in my opinion. After spending a week solid of doing little more than fishing due to being camped the moment I stepped out of town, having people follow around my alts just to run around killing everything to prevent me leveling... I saw no point in continuing. GMs did nothing but cater to the toxic part of the community.