Do You Think the Delayed Creation Kit Will Have a Long Term Negative Effect on Modding?

mmaniacBG

As I see it Bethesda prioritized testing base game patches, finilizing first DLCs (which will bring profit, unlike the release of CK) and preparing Bethesda.net, while their original team already got divided and assigned to new projects. April might have had been the preliminary CK release date from the very beginning and everything seems neatly orginized. Bethesda most likely didn't reveal any CK info to not encourage potential customers to wait for modding tools.

In the long run impact on modding will be minimal. We will just experience slower start untill more FO4 owners get back to playing and modding the game again. Don't forget autors got the hang of new way textures and meshes are edited not too long ago. If anything we will be more well equiped and experienced when it comes to creating new assets for CK based mods like quests. Modders who are serious about this already started recruiting voice actors and recording new dialogue lines.

Edited by BlackRoseOfThorns

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most time consuming things with GECK and the likes, is the authorizing from companies that have parts of their systems incorporated.

Like for instance AutoDesk.

It's basically all just bureaucracy thak makes things take forever.

One would think, that in our day in age, things would go much smoother through use of computers, but no: paperwork and corporate/governmental crap still take forever, computers or not.
As if they REFUSE to upgrade to our age, and live in the dark ages.

Of course not. It's not like there is a lack of mods for this game without it. Besides, it's coming out like next month isn't it? There is no reason to worry about the state of modding just because the CK is "late".

Overall I don't think it'll have a big impact.

While some people have lost interest for now (for example my housemate's completely stopped playing and I only play now to test mods), I think once the DLC and CK come out most of those people will start coming back.

The sort of person who sticks with a game longterm and continuously mods it isn't the sort of person likely to leave the game forever because the hype died down. We might have a quiet month or two after the CK is released while modders slowly drift back from whatever other projects drew their attention but I really can't imagine it destroying the mod community.

Overall I don't think it'll have a big impact.

While some people have lost interest for now (for example my housemate's completely stopped playing and I only play now to test mods), I think once the DLC and CK come out most of those people will start coming back.

The sort of person who sticks with a game longterm and continuously mods it isn't the sort of person likely to leave the game forever because the hype died down. We might have a quiet month or two after the CK is released while modders slowly drift back from whatever other projects drew their attention but I really can't imagine it destroying the mod community.

The Creation Kit will be released, everyone's YouTube feed will be filled with Fallout 4 this and Fallout 4 that, and then people will come running just like they did with Skyrim.

YouTube is responsible for Skyrim's modding revolution.

People like MXR have well over a million subscribers that are being emailed every time he posts a new video of Mods Weekly. These kind of YouTube personalities are what brought modding out of the basement and got people who would normally never visit or browse a site like the Nexus excited about the things they saw.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is supposed to be released around the same time as the FO4 CK and initial dlcs.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is set to release in early 2017. Fallout 4's modding tools will be released in April of this year (2016).

Edited by DaddyDirection

The Creation Kit will be released, everyone's YouTube feed will be filled with Fallout 4 this and Fallout 4 that, and then people will come running just like they did with Skyrim.

YouTube is responsible for Skyrim's modding revolution.

People like MXR have well over a million subscribers that are being emailed every time he posts a new video of Mods Weekly. These kind of YouTube personalities are what brought modding out of the basement and got people who would normally never visit or browse a site like the Nexus excited about the things they saw.

Can't disagree with that. I'd never modded before and completely stopped playing Skyrim until a friend of mine sent me one of Gopher's videos.

I bought the PC version of Skyrim (I had been playing it on X-box) purely so I could start modding the game and since I was a bit late to start modding Skyrim promised myself that when the next game came out I'd take up writing mods... that's why I'm here now modding Fallout 4.

Can't disagree with that. I'd never modded before and completely stopped playing Skyrim until a friend of mine sent me one of Gopher's videos.
I bought the PC version of Skyrim (I had been playing it on X-box) purely so I could start modding the game and since I was a bit late to start modding Skyrim promised myself that when the next game came out I'd take up writing mods... that's why I'm here now modding Fallout 4.

There are still people who mod fallout 3 and oblivion, you can mod skyrim.