DDS to XBM converter

For everyone having the same problem with the guy on top here is my solution, hope it works for you :)

Open w2_dds2xbm.bms with notepad++ and scroll down to the bottom you should see string name += .xbm. Now all you do is remove the = sign from it and get "string name + .xbm" hopefully, this will solve your problem since it solved mine :)

• 4 months later...

anyone know what this means?

error in src\quickbms.c line 590: myfopen()

error: no such file or directory

yet there is a file and directory so im not sure why im getting that error.

im completely new to modding and am trying to learn but i cannot even find a full guide on how to do this, if anyone knows of one they could point me to id much appreciate that. i am trying to replace certain armor skins with others and am having a hard time, i followed that one small guide listed here but am still confused but i did manage to i THINK edit a tga file, turn it back into a dds but when i try to turn it back into a xbm again i get that error, any clues?

alright, thanks a lot, got it figured out, can at least make whatever armor i have now look like any other in the game, now if i could figure out some more with the coloring ill be doing really good!

There's an easier way to do that, without changing the XBM files.

Just edit /items/def_item_armor.xml with a text editor. Find the armor you're wearing, and change the value of equip_template to match the one you want it to look like.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, I'm trying to retexture the Raven's armor (imported from TW1) and I'm having trouble getting the results to show in the game.

First, what I did:

- used quickbms to unpack pack0.dzip

- downloaded an existing Raven's armor retexture mod to figure out which texture files I need to edit

- got the conversion tools from the link in the tutorial posted in this thread

- successfully got the .tga file after following the tutorial (used the .xbm from the folder where I unpacked pack0.dzip)

- edited the .tga file with Photoshop CS4

- successfully converted the edited file back into an .xbm file after following the tutorial (renaming the .dds and .bin files, etc.)

- put the new .xbm in ...\CookedPC\characters\player\model\trunk\leather_armor (geralt__b16.xbm) and ...\CookedPC\characters\player\model\trunk\heavy_armour (geralt__b32.xbm)

I've had the impression that after all this I would be able to see the results in the game, however that didn't happen. I've converted the new .xbm files back into .tga files to make sure everything was converted properly in the previous iteration and it was. Does anyone have an idea about what I'm doing wrong? Is there something I missed?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• 3 years later...

Sorry for the necro posting, guys.... well.... who am I kidding! I'm not sorry at all.... I love necro posting! the older the better! :p

Anyways, I want to edit Witcher 2 xbms but I can't find witcher2_texture_converter.zip anywhere and the http://filesmelt.com/dl/witcher2_texture_converter.zip link is unsurprisingly dead after 5 years. Anyone has a copy of the scripts or another way I can edit Witcher 2 xbms? I got Red Kit already installed but I honestly can't make heads or tails of it... :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the necro posting, guys.... well.... who am I kidding! I'm not sorry at all.... I love necro posting! the older the better! :tongue:

Anyways, I want to edit Witcher 2 xbms but I can't find witcher2_texture_converter.zip anywhere and the http://filesmelt.com/dl/witcher2_texture_converter.zip link is unsurprisingly dead after 5 years. Anyone has a copy of the scripts or another way I can edit Witcher 2 xbms? I got Red Kit already installed but I honestly can't make heads or tails of it... :smile:

In case you still care, here you go:

http://ul.to/0pxee8q4

Alternatively:

http://www.playground.ru/files/dds_to_xbm_converter-48741/

Edited by YoungZer0

• 3 years later...

I'm still having trouble getting the .dds and .bin back into an xbm.

I have tried falatajionn's method of removing the = sign from the script, and with the script as it comes.

I've tried with both quickbms.exe and quickbms64_test.exe (both run as administrator)

To eliminate the prospect of using the wrong compression in gimp, I even tried just converting back an unaltered geralt_c1.dds, after just removing the DXT1, and I still get the same error.

- select the BMS script or plugin to use
- select the input archives/files to extract, type "" for whole folder and subfolders
- select the output folder where extracting the files
- open input file C:\test\geralt__c1.dds
- open script C:\test\w2_dds2xbm.bms
- set output folder C:\test

offset filesize filename
------------------------------
- enter in folder C:\test
- open input file C:\test\geralt__c1.BIN
- enter in folder C:\test
- open input file C:\test\geralt__c1.DDS

Error: incomplete input file number 1, can't read 131072 bytes.
anyway don't worry, it's possible that the BMS script has been written
to exit in this way if it's reached the end of the archive so check it
or contact its author or verify that all the files have been extracted

Press RETURN to quit