Upgrading GPU - GTX 960?

intothewest74

Hello everyone. I've currently got a pretty decent rig (as far as I know), but my graphics card is really lacking. I have a GeForce GTX 650 1GB which can pretty much run maxed out vanilla Skyrim and I get good fps under most circumstances, but when it gets graphically intense, it may drop to an annoying 15-20fps for a couple seconds. Thing is, I'd also like to mod the game freely, which is obviously not possible with my current GPU. Skyrim certainly isn't the only reason for wanting to upgrade, but it's probably the main one.

So, what would be a good choice to upgrade with a budget of $200? The GeForce GTX 960 has peaked my interest as it delivers a lot of performance for a reasonable price, but is this a good choice? If so, how much VRAM would be necessary? The 4GB option (~$210) pushes the budget a bit, but if it really is that much better than the 2GB (~$180), I'd be willing to opt for that.

Not sure if it matters, but my specs are:

• Mobo: ASUS P8H61-M
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • RAM: 12GB 1600Mhz DDR3
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 650 1GB
  • HDD: 1.65 TB
  • Case: ASUS M51AC Case
  • PSU: 500W

Thanks in advance!

I would say that the 4GB version is the way to go (especially when it comes to texture mods). However, you might want to wait. There are reports that Nvidia is working on a Ti variation of the GTX 960, so if you wait for that to be announced prices may drop.

Edit: Also, make sure your case is all set for a GPU upgrade. Always sucks when stuff like that creeps up on you last minute, and buyers remorse sets in. The GTX 960 can be a little bit bigger than the 650, so beware. Your PSU should be fine though, so that's good.

Edited by DaddyDirection

I would say that the 4GB version is the way to go (especially when it comes to texture mods). However, you might want to wait. There are reports that Nvidia is working on a Ti variation of the GTX 960, so if you wait for that to be announced prices may drop.

Edit: Also, make sure your case is all set for a GPU upgrade. Always sucks when stuff like that creeps up on you last minute, and buyers remorse sets in. The GTX 960 can be a little bit bigger than the 650, so beware. Your PSU should be fine though, so that's good.

Thanks for the insight - I probably won't wait for the GTX 960 Ti to be announced though. Anyway, will the GTX 960 4GB be enough as a graphics card? I assume it'll handle most graphics mods without problems, but what about running an ENB mod, for example? Should I consider buying an overclocked card for that or will I simply have to forgo those performance killers?

Depending on the ENB, and your expectations for framerate, it should be acceptable. You can watch this video for some more clarification (fps counter at top left). Pretty impressive in my opinion.

Skyrim Modded Ultra Graphics! by TheSavageBros:

Edited by DaddyDirection

Do you use ENBoost? if not, you must get it (i dont use it for the ENB graphics that's turned off) just the ENBoost part that makes a world of difference, then i run my textures folder through Optimizer Textures mod (on nexus) which also makes a huge difference, do those things you might not need an upgrade my card has a paltry 512mb RAM Geforce 9800gt :D

How much vram you need depends on the mods you plan on running. 2GB should be okay with 1-2k textures and a performance ENB. 4GB is more for people who want 2-4k textures, a mid-level ENB, Skyrim Flora Overhaul and maybe a grass mod. With an i5 4590S CPU, 10GB RAM, a GTX 960 4GB, and an SSD I can run the latter at 45-60 fps. I also optimize wherever I could in the texture packs I use, and in my skyrim, skyrimprefs and ENB-related ini files. I have SKSE memory patch and ENBoost set up so I won't CTD with my setup.

Edited by Laereal