Questions for anyone who creates Fallout 4 re-textures.

TippingChair

I've been enjoying using Photoshop to edit the textures on game assets, but it's annoying that I have to open and re-open Fallout 4 constantly to see what the texture will look like. For anyone who regularly creates and edits textures in Fallout 4, how do you check and see what your textures look like? There has to be a quicker and easier way to see them. NifSkope has been suggested a few times, but it doesn't render specular maps or normal maps at all.

I forgot which one I was using that can use dds files directly, but it's either Keyshot or Marmoset Toolbag2. Otherwise, from the presumption of the question, I bet your problem is with your material file. Ppl that have problems with their "specular map" are really choosing or setting up their material file wrong. Pick an in game asset of similar type and look how they set up their file. Then copy and rename it to your asset changing all the texture file references to your asset and touching nothing else. OR if you're using a metal/rough workflow when FO4 is spec/gloss. That's your problem. OR you're putting the gloss map in the green channel instead of the specular map there, and/or not making the blue channel black...

I thought it was my specular map for a month, until I spent 2 hrs going thru all the material file types and saw how it affected the same texture set in game.

Nifskope is very very unforgiving. You have to set your paths correctly and in the right order for it to update. Also, if you only reference your bgsm file and don't add the files to the BSShaderTextureSet it won't show up. Just like if you only put your files in the BSShaderTextureSet and not reference the bgsm file on the BSLightingShaderProperty, it won't show up in game.

Edited by jeffglobal