Alternate modloading method WITHOUT launcher

Diabolik707

Hi! I found a new, as of yet undocumented as far as I know, way to load mods without using the launcher. I found it while trying to bypass the launcher method for technical reasons.

In the Xcom2/XComGame Folder, there's a DLC folder, if its not there, create it.

1- Copy the mod root folder ( the one with the .XComMod file in it ) of the mods you want to use in the DLC folder.

2- In the root folders of the mods, rename the extension of example: ShowHealthValues.XComMod to ShowHealthValues.XComDLC

3- Go into the Config folder of each mod, open XComEngine.INI in Notepad or Notepad++ ( I use N++ so I'm sure it works with this one ).

4- Add this below the [Engine.ScriptPackages] section:

[unrealEd.EditorEngine]
+EditPackages="Nameofthemod" ( as displayed on the renamed XcomDLC file )

So in this case:

[unrealEd.EditorEngine]
+EditPackages=ShowHealthValues

The result should look something like this:

[Engine.ScriptPackages]
+NonNativePackages=ShowHealthValues
[unrealEd.EditorEngine]
+EditPackages=ShowHealthValues

5- Save file, exit. Launch the game without the launcher. Voilà!

You just basically tricked the game into thinking that the mods are DLCs instead.

Try at your own risks and backup your stuff in case something goes wrong, as usual.

• 3 weeks later...

Like the idea, I have wondered what the Launcher is good for.

I won't use Steam Workshop, due to auto Updates. Any steam only mods I use, are archived and used as normal mods, I stay subscribed only to download and archive, then GTFO,

We all love updates, but all my may mods need some time to catch up before everything is updated together.

one question that arises, is what technical reason did you have for not using the launcher?

Another

What exactly do you need a launcher for at all? (selecting mods I know).

What I mean is, if you're using NMM, you've already done that, so what does the launcher actually do, that NMM does not?

Your technique works which is a good start, but if DLC don't need it, why do mods, and can we get the same results without touching the mods.

Maybe SymLinks would work< doesn't seem they would (Not in a way that isn't renaming all the files anyway)?

I don't expect you have all the answers, but maybe some of them.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do yourself a favour and use this: Alternative Mod Launcher Continued

While it's certainly useful for managing mods, I suspect that Ricken actually just wants to start the game, without using a mod launcher.

While not a good idea while changing mods, when AMLC or NMM are both better options than the Workshop/Launcher setup.

Once a settled mod list is established, simply launching the game is all that's needed.

Could you please explain how to do this for the new long war 2 mod?

Also is the reverse possible. Could i change DLC into a mod?

First, answering the question asked.

Opening post explains how to do it for any mod, LW2 is just another mod. So you do the same thing, but as Dragon32 says, it's not the best option.

Reverse is likely possible, but also not a good idea, as most mods will expect them as DLC, so loading before any mod.

Apart from checking the Nexus for updates, AMLC is superior to NMM, giving File override details, similar to what Skyrim's Mod Organizer, or Witcher 3 Script Merger do.

That alone makes it better, without mentioning other features.

If you only want to start the game, to play it, without starting any mod launcher first, simply make your own shortcut.

Steam actually runs with these default commands, when the Mod Launcher starts it

"D:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\Binaries\Win64\XCom2.exe" -FROMLAUNCHER -noRedScreens -review -crashdumpwatcher -LANGUAGE=INT

The path must point to your games location, of course, this usess mine, as an example.

These commands can also be set in Steams Launch Options setting, but that also opens the Mod Launcher, only starting the game direct, bypasses the launcher.

The Launch Options, I know are as follows

Player Setup, removing takes you to the Developer startup screen

-review

Skip Startup Movies, and Logos

-nostartupmovies

Developer Console full devs setup

-allowconsole -log -autodebug

Developer Console User setup

-allowconsole

Turn off Developers. stop on Error screen

-noRedScreens

Report crashes popup window

-crashdumpwatcher

Game Started from launcher, doesn't fool steam, still starts the mod Launcher.

-FROMLAUNCHER

Default Language settings, replace with the 3 letter Localization folder name to change this

-LANGUAGE=INT

Just Start the Damn Game AKA When just playing, I usually use, this in my shortcut to start the game ready to play, with no delays.

"D:\Steam\SteamApps\Common\XCOM 2\Binaries\Win64\XCom2.exe" -review -noRedScreens -nostartupmovies

All Steam games

Desktop Shortcuts using SteamID of game, works for any Steam game

The Desktop shortcuts Steam makes are actually "Internet Shortcuts", or to be exact, URL Protocols, and using XCOM2 as an example, look like this

steam://rungameid/268500

A bug in Windows 10, that affected me, turned all the Steam shortcuts, into browser URL's, even though no settings were changed, and the protocol registry settings, match my W7, where they still open Steam..

I could open the shortcut in Notepad++, and read the contents as text, but not open the game.

This has resulted in my having to use, normal Desktop Shortcuts, as not all Steam games will open from the direct file links, as XCOM 2 does.

I found two methods that work. using the Steam GameID number, and to be clear the quotes are vital, but only if the path has a space character, as my path has no spaces, I can leave quotes out, but it always works with quotes.

Standard Launch Option Format

"D:\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 268500

Steam Protocol Format

"D:\Steam\Steam.exe" steam://rungameid/268500

Both of these work with, or without added launch options, but for XCOM 2, this always starts the launcher, so the game must be directlty launched.