Fallout 4 Beginners Guide

gromulos

I don't provide support for any version of Mod Organizer simply because I don't use it and I am not familiar with it

My suggestion, use the last official release of NMM, it's what I use and it works perfectly fine

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/896029-nexus-mod-manager-release-notes-and-download-links/

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wyre flash doesn't support NMM community edition...

why all the hate? I love NMM

I have no clue where you are getting your information from, I am almost positive that I have never once stated that I hate or even dislike NMM, heck I use it myself. Now, I HAVE stated that Vortex is crap "in my own personal opinion", I don't recommend anyone using Vortex for any of the Fallout games or Skyrim simply because I have tried it myself and it was a HUGE mess and caused more problems than NMM ever did, for me anyway.

One thing I will point out about Wrye Flash / Smash / Bash and NMM is, they are the only 2 programs that I know of that work together and "remember" any change you do in either. If you make a change in one, the other program knows about it and remembers it. No other programs work together as seamlessly as these 2 together.

So, once again, where are you getting your information from.

• 7 months later...

1 - "Missing Plugins: 1. AAF_Violate.esp" means you are missing a file that came with that mod, OR, you need another mod that is actually the master for that file

2 - how to change the mod load order - open Wrye and look in the bottom left corner, see the blue ? click it and that opens the help file, everything you need to know is in there

• 1 month later...

"2 - how to change the mod load order - open Wrye and look in the bottom left corner, see the blue ? click it and that opens the help file, everything you need to know is in there"

Where do I go if it isn't? I've honestly no idea what I'm doing, even after reading this and following it to the best of my ability. Almost all of the guides have the same attitude that "everything you need to know is right here."

For example, you said:

"When you run Wrye Flash if any checkmarks are not green, those mods are causing problems in your game, you make them turn green by dragging them up or down in your load order in wrye flash till they do turn green."

Do we drag the mods up and down, or their masters? Your guide has referenced moving the mods themselves, as above, and twice referenced the masters, but regardless, doing either didn't do anything. The only time they turned green was by the FO4Edit to "Resort Masters." Because you say lower down, here:

"Clicking on the orange/red mods will show you what masters they have, and what order they want them in. From here on in, it becomes like a puzzle: you need to manually drag and drop the various masters in your load order until their order is harmonious ( IE:. you've managed to provide the desired order of master files for every single ESP in your list simultaneously ) and all of your oranges have disappeared."

So that makes it sound like the masters need to be moved. Which is it?
How do I know where to move them? Do I just drag each and every orange mod to every single possible slot one at a time until it turns green?
What if they never turn green no matter their placement, as I had happen?
What if their masters ARE in the order it says to have them in and they're still orange?
What do you do if you've turned them all green and your game still crashes?

In reference to FO4Edit, you said:

"3) FO4EDIT is used to do 2 things, (A) verify that your load order is not missing any files that your mods need and (B) verify that no primary files are being loaded after secondary files. When you run FO4EDIT it will throw up an error box and the error will be displayed at the bottom of the right pane / panel. All you have to do is read what it says and it will tell you exactly how to fix the problem in Wrye Flash. Yes, you can open Wrye Flash while FO4EDIT is open so you don't even have to write down what the error is"

Except it doesn't? How? How do I verify it's not missing any files? How do I verify that no primary files are being loaded after secondary files? You said that it does this, but not how we would execute such a procedure. "When you run FO4Edit..." The program doesn't just open with an error. Do I load all of my mods into it? Because most guides tell me to only ever load one mod at a time in FO4Edit. Do I just load one mod at a time, say an orange one? How do I get it to tell me if there is an error? When you load things into it, all it says on the right is "Background Loader Finished." What do I do to get an error report?

"All you have to do is read what it says and it will tell you exactly how to fix the problem in Wrye Flash."

Except... it doesn't.

I read a few other guides, loaded all of my mods into FO4Edit, and chose the button to find conflicts. Expanded a bunch of the drop-down menus on the mods themselves and a whole bunch of stuff is red and orange inside. I've done manual reinstall. I've tried redownloading. I went back and verified with this guide and several others that I followed all the steps correctly.

If I download mods with NMM and just use LOOT, my game works, I can play, and after maybe 80-100 hours my game stops working, which was fine.

If I clean my DLCs, mods, make a Bashed Patch and try to use FO4Edit, I get constant crashes even trying to test with just 5 mods at a time.

In a stream of tears and frustration this morning, I deleted everything and I'm starting from scratch for the third time this year. PLEASE, is there anything out there simpler to explain all this to me?

1)

"When you run Wrye Flash if any checkmarks are not green, those mods are causing problems in your game, you make them turn green by dragging them up or down in your load order in wrye flash till they do turn green."

Do we drag the mods up and down, or their masters? Your guide has referenced moving the mods themselves, as above, and twice referenced the masters, but regardless, doing either didn't do anything. The only time they turned green was by the FO4Edit to "Resort Masters." Because you say lower down, here:

You move the mods up or down in the load order WITHIN Wrye.

2)

"Clicking on the orange/red mods will show you what masters they have, and what order they want them in. From here on in, it becomes like a puzzle: you need to manually drag and drop the various masters in your load order until their order is harmonious ( IE:. you've managed to provide the desired order of master files for every single ESP in your list simultaneously ) and all of your oranges have disappeared."

So that makes it sound like the masters need to be moved. Which is it?
How do I know where to move them? Do I just drag each and every orange mod to every single possible slot one at a time until it turns green?
What if they never turn green no matter their placement, as I had happen?
What if their masters ARE in the order it says to have them in and they're still orange?
What do you do if you've turned them all green and your game still crashes?

On the right side of Wrye there will be a box that can be expanded , that box will tell you what the load order is, and what the CORRECT load order should be

3)

"3) FO4EDIT is used to do 2 things, (A) verify that your load order is not missing any files that your mods need and (B) verify that no primary files are being loaded after secondary files. When you run FO4EDIT it will throw up an error box and the error will be displayed at the bottom of the right pane / panel. All you have to do is read what it says and it will tell you exactly how to fix the problem in Wrye Flash. Yes, you can open Wrye Flash while FO4EDIT is open so you don't even have to write down what the error is"

Except it doesn't? How? How do I verify it's not missing any files? How do I verify that no primary files are being loaded after secondary files? You said that it does this, but not how we would execute such a procedure. "When you run FO4Edit..." The program doesn't just open with an error. Do I load all of my mods into it? Because most guides tell me to only ever load one mod at a time in FO4Edit. Do I just load one mod at a time, say an orange one? How do I get it to tell me if there is an error? When you load things into it, all it says on the right is "Background Loader Finished." What do I do to get an error report?

Once again a mod will be a different color if it's not in the correct order. Also, most times, if the load order is wrong, FO4Edit will crash or throw up a ton of error messages in the message history.

4)

If I clean my DLCs, mods, make a Bashed Patch and try to use FO4Edit, I get constant crashes even trying to test with just 5 mods at a time.

I am betting you are trying to use a MERGED patch from FO4Edit like some of the other guides may have suggested and this is why your game is crashing after using FO4Edit. If I am wrong about this please let me know. For more information about this read the quoted dialogue from alt3rn1ty & Sharlikran

1) Yes, in Wyre. I did understand that, but moving them around didn't turn them green. When I clicked on an orange mod and clicked "Show Masters" or "List Masters" I think it is, the files were already in the order shown in the box. The only thing that turned them green was using "Resort Masters" from the bottom of your guide. I got everything in Wyre to turn green that way, but the game was still crashing.

2) I didn't see this box, but I'll have to re-download everything and try again.

3) I did have a few mods that were orange in Wyre, and I resolved them as stated above. When the game continued to crash, though, I opened FO4Edit with all mods selected, and just as in Wyre, they were all green. I tried "Apply Filter for Conflicts" by following another guide, as I thought it might tell me what was wrong. Again, none of them were showing orange or red, but there was orange and red inside of their records. That really confused me because my understanding had been that the steps I had just performed were for the purpose of resolving those, but I'm also a novice at this so I couldn't be sure. I didn't know what to do there and didn't want to mess anything up further, so I just closed it without doing anything else.

4) I don't know how to make a MERGED patch. I went to the bottom, clicked on Bashed Patch 0.esp, and selected Rebuild Patch. Afterwards I opened NMM just to make sure it was on the bottom and check marked, and it was.

I also posted about this here with a step-by-step of what I did and my load order. BTW, I really don't mean for all these questions to come off as ungrateful. I really appreciate that you responded, thank you! I'm going to try again... from scratch. I understand that it's a bit hard to help someone fix their car if they disassembled it in frustration.

Which would bring me to my last question since I'm going back to square one, and I've seen a lot of conflicting information on this. Do I clean the FO4 DLCs? Some people say yes you must, others said no don't. I've cleaned Skyrim's DLCs before, but I know if you clean NV's DLCs, you'll bork everything. Last time around, I used QAC on the FO4 DLCs. Was that correct?

1) Yes, in Wyre. I did understand that, but moving them around didn't turn them green. When I clicked on an orange mod and clicked "Show Masters" or "List Masters" I think it is, the files were already in the order shown in the box. The only thing that turned them green was using "Resort Masters" from the bottom of your guide. I got everything in Wyre to turn green that way, but the game was still crashing.

2) I didn't see this box, but I'll have to re-download everything and try again.

3) I did have a few mods that were orange in Wyre, and I resolved them as stated above. When the game continued to crash, though, I opened FO4Edit with all mods selected, and just as in Wyre, they were all green. I tried "Apply Filter for Conflicts" by following another guide, as I thought it might tell me what was wrong. Again, none of them were showing orange or red, but there was orange and red inside of their records. That really confused me because my understanding had been that the steps I had just performed were for the purpose of resolving those, but I'm also a novice at this so I couldn't be sure. I didn't know what to do there and didn't want to mess anything up further, so I just closed it without doing anything else.

4) I don't know how to make a MERGED patch. I went to the bottom, clicked on Bashed Patch 0.esp, and selected Rebuild Patch. Afterwards I opened NMM just to make sure it was on the bottom and check marked, and it was.

I also posted about this here with a step-by-step of what I did and my load order. BTW, I really don't mean for all these questions to come off as ungrateful. I really appreciate that you responded, thank you! I'm going to try again... from scratch. I understand that it's a bit hard to help someone fix their car if they disassembled it in frustration.

Which would bring me to my last question since I'm going back to square one, and I've seen a lot of conflicting information on this. Do I clean the FO4 DLCs? Some people say yes you must, others said no don't. I've cleaned Skyrim's DLCs before, but I know if you clean NV's DLCs, you'll bork everything. Last time around, I used QAC on the FO4 DLCs. Was that correct?

I will tell you this, EVERY time I have personally cleaned the DLC's, my game did not run or work correctly

Edited by gromulos

• 2 weeks later...

I've restarted the task of putting everything back. I've run into an incident that seems to be relevant to the issue before.

I just installed True Storms, sorted with LOOT, and this is what Wyre is showing me.

If I move "TrueStormsFO4-NukaWorld-FH-Compat.esp anywhere else-- up or down-- it goes from Yellow to Orange/Red. It won't let me move DLCCoast.esm under TrueStormsFO4.esm.

I see the box on the right that says "LO", but I don't understand what "MI" stands for and I also couldn't find it in the Wyre wiki... my best guess would be "Master Index"? And unless that's the box you're talking about, I don't see the box you were referencing that should tell me the correct load order. I have to admit to being suspect of "MI" being the correct order anyway, as it's telling me to put a mod ABOVE an official DLC.

However, if I load it all into FO4Edit, I don't get any error, just "Background Loader: finished" like I was seeing before.