Fallout 4: Newbie Concept Artist Questions

Zarchell

So I recently have taken an interest in making custom items from scratch to put into and use in the game using Maya 2016. My father recently made a few mods that he would like some unique item models for (e.g. his Choice Chopped mod), and I was wanting to try and make some of the unique poster adverts that he was wanting for various food items (e.g. Diamond City Chili Dog, Dandelion Wine, etc.) and also some unique item models for some of his food (he currently has to use an ear of corn for his Chili Dog and I was wanting to make an actual hot dog for his Chili Dog in Maya).

However, the issue I'm running into is that I'm COMPLETELY new to this sort of thing. I've tried looking on the internet for various tutorials on making posters, items, etc. in Maya and haven't found a whole lot. I found some stuff that will kind of help for the actual item design of some of his foods, but as far as things like drawing, painting, etc., I haven't found a single thing on Google.

Does anyone out there with any experience mind giving a few tips to a newbie to this sort of this? I really appreciate any advice and tips from anyone. Thanks!

Best,

Zarchell

If I understand correctly you'r asking for advice on how to become a 3D artist. Don't focus on niche bound tutorials for something that's perfectly general, you'll only corner yourself.

If you're new to 3D modeling go for tutorials that teach you the program's UI, and teach you how to model, it doesn't mater what, trust me, any practice is good practice at this point.

Texturing. Pick up photoshop as its the universal tool ,or GIMP ,just as long as they have the DDS plugin, google tutorials for beginners and learn how to use it. Do some basic photo manip tutorials to get a grip on the most used tools to get working with textures. For small food items you shouldn't need more than a good 2D editing program.

A poster is 99% a painting/image and 1% 3D, you're way better of looking for art tutorials. Unless you want to make them out of existing images then that would be the step above where I mentioned ,photo manipulation. Because importing is going to be least of your time and worries if you've never hold a pencil, or tablet pen, by mater of speech.

' but as far as things like drawing, painting, etc., I haven't found a single thing on Google.'

A quick search will drown you in Photoshop tutorials, Maya and Max tutorials, Blender, how to draw, paint ,ecetra ... Best of all, a ton of them are on Youtube, and a ton of them are free. Don't stare blind on the 'fallout' tag, you'll get more and better results searching for tutorials, especially 'beginner tutorial' will get you places. Oh, and please PLEASE stay far away from DragoArt or other sites that learn art by having you follow a line ,you'll learn noting by following a line. If you want to learn how to draw/paint, then do it properly and listen to advice from people like Mat ; http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

I can't help out with Nifscope, but from what I'v seen it looks like you'd be better of concentrating on learning how to make 3D items for now and worry with importing later.

Hope that helps out, and puts you on your way.