XCOM EW stops working when loading a save game

gax2011

It just endlessly tries to load w/o success. I´m on win7 64, LW 1.0 mid campaign, cloud saves disabled. I never had any issues before. Checking integrity and reinstalling the mod didn´t help, neither did starting in offline mode. The problems started about the same day i got a driver update for my GTX 970. Maybe its connected. Btw., the first days after the problems begun i could still load my savegames. It just took alot of time and the game was laggy as hell(even older savegames of different missions). But now even that doesn´t work anymore.

That part of the XComEngine.ini is automatically built when you install DLC. EW counts as one IIRC, even though it installs itself as if a separate game. Are you sure you looked in the XEW subfolders, which are where the EW files are located?

Another possibility is that updating the video driver caused a "hardware" change in your game INI file.

Those are the obvious potential reasons, especially if you haven't changed or update any mods. Therefore, now I would look at the video driver itself. Sometimes the latest ones have either dropped support for older games, or broken it unintentionally. Once you have a video driver that supports your current game, don't upgrade it until you find a compelling reason to do so. The latest is not always the greatest.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Yes, it can be confusing. They weren't consistent in their folder naming and we tend to merely distinguish between the EU and EW paths (i.e. "XEW" as a shorthand in the latter case) in comments. Please check out the "Loose Files" section of the "Basic Guide". It covers these locations in more detail.

The INI file we are concerned with will be in a "Config" subfolder, which will be under the base game EW install path, and the "C:\Users\<your account name>\My Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Within\XComGame\Config" path. And I am not guaranteeing that you will find that issue in the INI in the latter path. Just that if it is an issue, that is where it will be.

-Dubious-