Skywind is coming to Nexus Mods

SirSalami

Great to read this! Skywind is an awesome project. I've interacted with various people there and they are all very passionate about what they are doing, even if that might sometimes lead to a few tantrums along the way. I hope, I really do, that this project ends up as a ''whole'' at some point, a complete thing. And I hope Bethesda will have a few nice words to the people that made it happen. Seeing the Nexus have such nice words is definitely a great thing already!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #35668982. #35669217, #35669442 are all replies on the same post.

gx240 wrote: Yet another mod that's going to be ruined by terrible amateur voice acting. There are few things that can kill immersion in an otherwise sublime RPG like finding yourself suddenly listening to stilted and overacted lines recorded by some guy in his basement. (And it's even worse when they try to do accents.)

I'm really disappointed because I was looking forward to playing this until now. For the life of me I have never been able to figure out how this happens, but for some reason a lot of modders and mod teams really can't listen to their own voice acting objectively and realize how atrocious it is.
SikSikSikki wrote: It's not easy finding professional voice actors that will work for free. Skywind does still have a certain standard for quality, though, that you seemed to have overlooked. Sure, not every single voice is going to win an award, but most of it sounds pretty damn good regardless.

Besides, it's not like the TESRenewal team woke up one day and thought to themselves "Man, we better make this perfect for gx240", and it's stupid to say this entire thing sucks because of one comparatively small aspect that isn't perfect.
Rhyme17 wrote: ruined huh

guess you couldn't possibly turn off the voices or replace the files with blanks yourself

"Besides, it's not like the TESRenewal team woke up one day and thought to themselves "Man, we better make this perfect for gx240"

Wow, SikSikSikki, you sure raised a great point there! I guess no one should ever be allowed to critique any work under any circumstances, because if anyone ever criticizes anything you can say "Hey, they didn't make it just for you."

What a genius you are! You should go write letters to everyone who reviews restaurants and tell them "They didn't create that recipe just for you, therefore you're not allowed to evaluate the quality of the food." You should demand a stop to movie reviews as well. Why don't you go over to IMDB and RottenTomatoes and tell everyone that they shouldn't be allowed to review anything. It'll keep you busy at least.

"It's not easy finding professional voice actors that will work for free."

Obviously. I never said it was.

"Skywind does still have a certain standard for quality, though, that you seemed to have overlooked."

And that is the exact same thing that every modder says right before delivering the aforementioned cringe-inducing experience. Find me a mod creator who says "I have no standard for quality."
Edited by gx240

In response to post #35668982. #35669217, #35669442, #35669712 are all replies on the same post.

gx240 wrote: Yet another mod that's going to be ruined by terrible amateur voice acting. There are few things that can kill immersion in an otherwise sublime RPG like finding yourself suddenly listening to stilted and overacted lines recorded by some guy in his basement. (And it's even worse when they try to do accents.)

I'm really disappointed because I was looking forward to playing this until now. For the life of me I have never been able to figure out how this happens, but for some reason a lot of modders and mod teams really can't listen to their own voice acting objectively and realize how atrocious it is.
SikSikSikki wrote: It's not easy finding professional voice actors that will work for free. Skywind does still have a certain standard for quality, though, that you seemed to have overlooked. Sure, not every single voice is going to win an award, but most of it sounds pretty damn good regardless.

Besides, it's not like the TESRenewal team woke up one day and thought to themselves "Man, we better make this perfect for gx240", and it's stupid to say this entire thing sucks because of one comparatively small aspect that isn't perfect.

guess you couldn't possibly turn off the voices or replace the files with blanks yourself
gx240 wrote: "Besides, it's not like the TESRenewal team woke up one day and thought to themselves "Man, we better make this perfect for gx240"

Wow, SikSikSikki, you sure raised a great point there! I guess no one should ever be allowed to critique any work under any circumstances, because if anyone ever criticizes anything you can say "Hey, they didn't make it just for you."

What a genius you are! You should go write letters to everyone who reviews restaurants and tell them "They didn't create that recipe just for you, therefore you're not allowed to evaluate the quality of the food." You should demand a stop to movie reviews as well. Why don't you go over to IMDB and RottenTomatoes and tell everyone that they shouldn't be allowed to review anything. It'll keep you busy at least.

"Skywind does still have a certain standard for quality, though, that you seemed to have overlooked."

And that is the exact same thing that every modder says right before delivering the aforementioned cringe-inducing experience. Find me a mod creator who says "I have no standard for quality."

I do know what you mean though...the voice for Patsy the Messenger in the Skyrim Helgen Rebuilt mod is awful...the worst Scottish accent since groundkeeper Willie, and although it is only a small part to kickstart the modit really did detract for me.

In response to post #35664806. #35669132 is also a reply to the same post.

SkyTaylor21 wrote:

Does this mean skyblivion will be coming to the nexus any time soon?

DinckelMan wrote: Skyblivion in nowhere near done, especially since the team that was responsible for it is currently working on Skywind

Skywind dev here, Skyblivion is a seperate team and the projects are unrelated. The only thing in common is the forums we use

In response to post #35668982. #35669217, #35669442, #35669712, #35670282 are all replies on the same post.

gx240 wrote: "Besides, it's not like the TESRenewal team woke up one day and thought to themselves "Man, we better make this perfect for gx240"

Stiubhard wrote: I do know what you mean though...the voice for Patsy the Messenger in the Skyrim Helgen Rebuilt mod is awful...the worst Scottish accent since groundkeeper Willie, and although it is only a small part to kickstart the modit really did detract for me.

I understand your point, but still, it's a great goal they set for themselves even with all the limitations set upon them. I bet some of the volunteers even donated some of their own money to see this come to life. At least give them the credit they deserve. You can't s#*! on hard work because of one fault. Anyways, I'm excited for this, looks better than TES:O tbh, lmao.

In response to post #35668982. #35669217, #35669442, #35669712, #35670282, #35671002 are all replies on the same post.

Stiubhard wrote: I do know what you mean though...the voice for Patsy the Messenger in the Skyrim Helgen Rebuilt mod is awful...the worst Scottish accent since groundkeeper Willie, and although it is only a small part to kickstart the modit really did detract for me.
Elagabalaus wrote: I understand your point, but still, it's a great goal they set for themselves even with all the limitations set upon them. I bet some of the volunteers even donated some of their own money to see this come to life. At least give them the credit they deserve. You can't s#*! on hard work because of one fault. Anyways, I'm excited for this, looks better than TES:O tbh, lmao.

Are you volunteering for some great professional voice acting? I never knew that free mods carried the expectation of paid work behind them.

Any kind of voice acting will be an upgrade to Morrowind regardless, all I remember from that game is reading through walls of text. Which you can achieve by muting voice sound.

It would be too much to ask to just wait and see how the product will actually turn out, though, so I completely understand your point...

Bah