X-COM EU additional inventory slots

AxlDave

So I can increase the number of items my guys can carry with the ismallitems thing, but I run into a problem that I cannot see past the third item, and I'm not sure if it actually has any effect. I can't swap it out or anything either.

Could somebody make a mod that allows me to see more then three inventory items, say like six?

• 3 weeks later...

As I recall the limitation is inherent in the game UI design. At the very least it would require Flash SWF ActionScript editing to display. See the wiki articles "XCOM Third Item Mod" and "Flash SWF Editing".

Especially with the release of XCOM 2, it is necessary to clarify just which version of the game (and even patch level) you are using, and any "overhaul" mods (such as "Long War") in use. These all affect the exact nature of the reply. Even though I end up responding to most questions these days because this particular community has shrunk, we generally don't make any effort to remember the details of each individual's game environment. We just look back through the thread for those details. You always need to bear in mind that we only know what you tell us. Things that are obvious to you are not to us.

When in doubt, more detail is always better.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Yeah I used the code alteration mentioned in the third item mod to get three visible items. I'm hoping there's a way to get more, other than just squashing everything up. I'll look into that flash link though, thanks.

I did make it quite clear by putting "X-COM EU" in the topic title. I do not run any mods but my own, so further detail cannot really be included.

So you did put "EU" into the title. Not clear how I interpreted that into being an XCOM2 query. (The mind is the first to go. No, wait. It's the second. Or is it ...?) Probably because the three item limit has not been breached in all this time.

Even "I do not run any mods but my own" is useful information when trying to figure out a problem.

If you decide to try your hand at Flash ActionScripts, you might want to look into turning that section of the display into a listbox with scroll bars. The article 'Understanding UPK side UI coding - XCOM:EU 2012' should also be helpful.

-Dubious-

• 9 months later...

Reviving this thread, because I want the same and have problems doing it :(

I am running XCOM:EW on probably the newest patch (everything handled by Steam, so...)

I haven't yet modified the ini to actually grant +1 more inventory space for small items, as I'm failing trying to implement http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/XCOM_Third_Small_Item_Mod#ToolBoks_Custom_Mod

The code that's shown there, doesn't work in ToolBoks (1.6.4 Beta) and throws a "Invalid hex characters in [MODDED_HEX]" error.

I don't really know anything about modding besides changing some values in the ini-file, but i'd love to have a working solution (either for ToolBoks or for PatcherGUI) that just changes the padding as mentioned on the size. I don't need "even more slots", so no scrollbar required.... Just a working +1 solution would be nice.

Any help? :/

[Edit: Added mod page links.]

That is a really old mod. There are a number of reasons why it doesn't work:

1. It's written in a format for ToolBoks: which is outdated, unsupported, and the last version was a "work in progress" that was never completed. The "invalid hex characters" error is almost certainly from a change in format between versions of ToolBoks.

2. PatcherGUI can read and process most ToolBoks mods, but the format of that one is so old (using offsets) that it would need to be reformatted.

3. That mod is specific to "Patch level 4 of EU". The latest version is "Patch level 6." Patches change the offset locations of code, so to fix it requires rediscovering the correct offset location of the hex code in question in "Patch level 6".

4. Due to the above, this will require rewriting the mod in order to get it to work with PatcherGUI and Patch level 6, which is not that difficult as it goes, but quite a bit more than a simple INI file change of a single value. If you are interested I can point you to some wiki articles to get you started, but be advised it is a time consuming process in a hex editor.

Other than reworking the mod, your only option would be to install the "Downgrade EU to patch 4 changelist" mod, and then use the older "ToolBoks EU 1_5_2" which is specific to Patch 4.

FYI: Around this time, EW came out and mod creators attention switched to that game and "Long War", and never did get around to "retro-fitting" older mods. And now they are all over on the XCOM2 forum.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent