Lessons learned: Aggro NPC behavior

seekingthesun

I was trying to build my mod(out now) that allows for the quest "human error" to be completed without invoking hostility in CovHQ or Covenant proper. But I had one problem remaining, I couldn't kill Chambers without one specific person getting aggro at the player. Furthermore, this also triggered aggro in covenant. Well I figured it out and I'll share because maybe it will save someone some time. The solution solves both problems.

So don't bother with settings like aggression or courage. Those only come into effect once combat starts. What you need to do to prevent hostility from spreading is to find each unique NPC and the base ID for any generics and delete all of their shared faction data. You don't need to delete from "genericNPCfaction" or others that are really broad, just those that would be angered. Then, just to be safe, set their behavior to "Helps no one" which is the boolean number 0. Also delete crime faction data.

Finally find the faction bases and edit those to allied with you.

So since I missed editing one NPC to not be aggroed to be from killing chambers, it was able to spread to all generic covenant NPCs. So that's how the game works, at least with the tools that we have now. That's not how *I* would code it, but it is what it is.

From this knowledge you could theoretically turn the raiders at Hangman's Alley into allies, even settlers.
Since there's so many factionIDs for everything one could potentially create an alternative start mod where you are a synth working for the institute and synths wouldn't be hostile from the game start.

Just trying to pass this along

Hunnhhh. Found this thread while looking up how to add player to Drumlin Diner faction (so items cleaned up aren't stolen). Wondering if this would solve my Friendly Easy City Downs failure. There's a ton of aggro scripting to strip out, but this might help. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hunnhhh. Found this thread while looking up how to add player to Drumlin Diner faction (so items cleaned up aren't stolen). Wondering if this would solve my Friendly Easy City Downs failure. There's a ton of aggro scripting to strip out, but this might help. Thanks.

Ahh those items simultaneously exist as part of the corresponding crime faction and that area's ownership faction.

There are also some really confounding entries under the objects themselves but the faction thing should clear it up.

Edited by seekingthesun