Call Sign for Friendlies nearby to avoid Friendly Fire?

54yeggan

Hey guys, kinda new to the Nexus here, but during my travels of the Commonwealth I found something kind of disturbing.

While sneaking around in the darkness and in the heat of battle, it's impossible to tell who will turn and attack you, and who will defend you (or simply not bat an eye to your presence.)

I figured out a way that could possibly make this better.

When sneaking, You can risk your cover by calling out to nearby NPCs, your character will shout something at them like 'Hey!' or 'Yo!'

Friendly NPCs will:

• look in your direction
  • may reply back with affirmation
  • wave in your direction / the direction of the ongoing fighting

However, Hostile NPCs will...

• Immediately become hostile to you
  • Shoot in the direction they last heard you coming from
  • Alert others nearby of your presence.

I think too many a times when in battle, I've accidentally shot at Settlers, Guards and friendly fighters way too many times for this to be happening. Even in the Brotherhood, this should be the case.

Now you may be thinking; "Why not just use VATS?" Well, depending on your perception, you may not be close enough to be able to target them, or are lazy and just don't want to waste time going into vats to see who's who.

On the plus side, this can offer many tactical advantages as well, such as...

• Luring enemies to you kill them with traps or sneak attacks.
  • Bring nearby friendly NPCs to join you in a fight.

Your thoughts? It may not be much, but it was something I was thinking about after I had too many a times accidentally lobbed a grenade at some BoS soldiers from afar after mistaking them for a group of raiders.

As somebody whose typical playstyle involves a whole lot of sneaking, the tactical aspect sounds very useful. Personally, I almost always carry a sniper on me, so I look through the scope to identify enemies from relatively large distances, but on the other hand, I've found myself shooting at random walls in order to lure enemies in a minefield way too many times, with the AI's stupidity taking them in the opposite direction "searching for me". Something more consistent would be nice, and this sounds like a pretty realistic/immersive mechanic. Reminds me of whistling in Assassin's Creed.

As somebody whose typical playstyle involves a whole lot of sneaking, the tactical aspect sounds very useful. Personally, I almost always carry a sniper on me, so I look through the scope to identify enemies from relatively large distances, but on the other hand, I've found myself shooting at random walls in order to lure enemies in a minefield way too many times, with the AI's stupidity taking them in the opposite direction "searching for me". Something more consistent would be nice, and this sounds like a pretty realistic/immersive mechanic. Reminds me of whistling in Assassin's Creed.

Exactly my thoughts! :) Tho mostly for me shooting at walls hasn't been too tactically efficient, to say the least, would be pleasing to see a more... useful mechanic implemented ;)