What ever happened to Cybernetic Implants?

CyrusAmell

Just as the title says, for the Fallout 4 player at least there are none in sight. And yet, such implants were actually available in Fallout 1 and 2 with the aid of specialized doctors (one from the Brotherhood of Steel). In Fallout 3 if the player works for Dr. Zimmer to reclaim Harkness you get the Wired Reflexes perk which is basically a cybernetic implant. A notable cyborg in Fallout 3 is Star Paladin Cross who was technologically enhanced so that she no longer needs to eat or sleep, due to an occurrence several years ago when she was critically injured defending Elder Lyons.

In New Vegas, which might not count for Bethesda games going forward, Dr. Usanagi of the Followers of the Apocalypse will sell numerous implants that each increase your SPECIAL points - and all out of her rather unimpressive clinic. We can also get some advanced cybernetic implants (or rather overhauls) in the Old World Blues DLC at Big MT that are rather forced on us than asked for.

And in Fallout 4? We meet Kellogg, who is perhaps the most advanced Cyborg in the series to date. Not only is he stronger and tougher, his cybernetics also somehow stopped him from aging. The man is around 108 years of age when the Sole Survivor kills him.

Which all begs the question of why the player, especially if they side with either the Institute or even the Brotherhood, does not also have access to such upgrades? I can definitely see Bethesda holding off on such features until they can introduce it in a more science-fiction premised DLC later.

If such upgrades become available through the Institute later I can definitely see two reasons for a self-interested player joining the Institute.

1) They have actual toilet paper.

2) The closest thing to Immortality outside the evil Cabot House Quest option.

Although....

But to the topic at hand - shouldn't we have access to cybernetic implants in this game?

Edited by CyrusAmell

It's stated in Father's terminal that he shut down the cybernetics project Kellogg was a subject of, because he was against the idea of transhumanism. The specific terminal entry:

"I'm told Kellogg has gone offline. Strangely, I find myself thinking of Dr. Walker. He had such high hopes for Kellogg. Such faith in the implants, and what they could mean. I still regret eliminating that project, but I know where it would have led us. Walker was never shy about his goals, and too many others were starting to listen. In the end, I believe I was justified. The Institute is about preserving humanity, not some bizarre amalgamation of biology and technology."

It's stated in Father's terminal that he shut down the cybernetics project Kellogg was a subject of, because he was against the idea of transhumanism. The specific terminal entry:

"I'm told Kellogg has gone offline. Strangely, I find myself thinking of Dr. Walker. He had such high hopes for Kellogg. Such faith in the implants, and what they could mean. I still regret eliminating that project, but I know where it would have led us. Walker was never shy about his goals, and too many others were starting to listen. In the end, I believe I was justified. The Institute is about preserving humanity, not some bizarre amalgamation of biology and technology."

Huh, I never saw this. Interesting, it appears Shaun was against the creation of advanced cyborgs. Which is odd as I always thought the Institute was moving closer to such goals considering the use of advanced synths. As machines had become more human, why could humans not become more machine? But I suppose it is something to consider. I would never have thought Shaun would hold one's personal humanity sacred considering how little respect the Institute shows to the human lives on the surface.

Well, with this in mind it appears that immediate access to such implants will need to be found elsewhere. However, I remember speaking to Allie Filmore, a Chief Engineer in the Institute, about future scientific breakthroughs the Institute might accomplish and she seemed to insinuate that she may be able to live long enough to see such lofty goals reached. And of course, the implants that Kellogg received could help with that.

Actually, this Dr. Walker sounds interesting. He is not in the Institute, and unless Shaun had him killed then he could still be alive even if the place went kaboom. It would make sense if finding him on the surface would give us access to these implants though it is unlikely that two Institute scientists, if you include Virgil, would be on the run at same time.

Edited by CyrusAmell

A notable cyborg in Fallout 3 is Star Paladin Cross who was technologically enhanced so that she no longer needs to eat or sleep, due to an occurrence several years ago when she was critically injured defending Elder Lyons.

Consider, the player themselves doesn't actually need to eat or sleep. They have the option to, but they suffer no ill effects from going weeks or months without a meal or any rest. You ARE the cyborgs, John.

But no, in all seriousness, I have a feeling it was originally planned but cut. Having an NPC like Kellog flaunting those cybernetics but not giving the player access to them, especially considering the existence of the Cyborg perk in previous games, seems a little jarring. Then there's those literally useless items you can loot off him - why are they even there, apart from the brain piece for the MQ? Cybernetics are in the same place as the rest of the Kellog in Nick's head subplot, the cutting room floor. Wouldn't be surprised if that terminal entry is more then a little meta.

Edited by Zetsumi_Nihilus

A notable cyborg in Fallout 3 is Star Paladin Cross who was technologically enhanced so that she no longer needs to eat or sleep, due to an occurrence several years ago when she was critically injured defending Elder Lyons.

Consider, the player themselves doesn't actually need to eat or sleep. They have the option to, but they suffer no ill effects from going weeks or months without a meal or any rest. You ARE the cyborgs, John.

But no, in all seriousness, I have a feeling it was originally planned but cut. Having an NPC like Kellog flaunting those cybernetics but not giving the player access to them, especially considering the existence of the Cyborg perk in previous games, seems a little jarring. Then there's those literally useless items you can loot off him - why are they even there, apart from the brain piece for the MQ? Cybernetics are in the same place as the rest of the Kellog in Nick's head subplot, the cutting room floor. Wouldn't be surprised if that terminal entry is more then a little meta.

That does make a bit more sense, come to think of it. I would certainly bet money that Bethesda is saving such a feature for a new DLC down the line (not likely Far Harbor unless the Synth Colony is quite advanced).