Skyrim's Core Engagement Factors [Game Design Theory]

Cryoshakespeare

Hello there, and welcome.

I'll start off by stating that this topic is quite heavily about game design theory, and it more relates to the fundamentals of what modders can do to enhance the core-gameplay factors that make up Skyrim. For a long while I've endeavored in tinkering with Skyrim's various mechanics through a variety of different mods. But in the end, I've always felt a certain lackluster experience - the core game still feels like it doesn't play to its strengths, and so while many mods add a ton of high quality sparkle, flair, and revision or revitalization of many of the game's features, in the end, I feel that the fundamental way that Skyrim was constructed makes it addictive, but not necessarily that meaningful or rewarding.

So to talk about what the core engagement factors of Skyrim are, we first need a more defined vocabulary, so we can come at this with clear terms.

Here is a short video, by the fantastic game-design channel Extra Credits, that discusses what are called the Aesthetics of Play, breaking down the approximate experiential engagement factors that games can deliver into 9 distinct parts, such as Discovery, Expression, Challenge, Fantasy, etc.

[/line]

So, with that video in mind, let's discuss what the core aesthetics or engagement factors of Skyrim are. Personally, my list is as follows:

1. Fantasy

A staple of most RPGs, the Fantasy element of Skyrim can be found in our role as the Dragonborn, or in the various roles we can choose as members of different guilds, or in the characters we play who are made up of their specific skillsets (eg. the division between warrior, mage, and thief). Fantasy can also be brought about through specific roleplay and character-choice experiences. Immersion is a key component of Fantasy.

2. Discovery

In the wide choices and open world that Skyrim presents, Discovery can be found largely through geographical exploration of the various locations in the world, or in coming to know the greater lore of Tamriel. Discovery can be one of the driving factors of multiple playthroughs, to try playing an assassin in the Dark Brotherhood compared to the warrior who joined the Companions. Discovery is also present in the process of understanding the mechanics of Skyrim (eg. the combat system).

3. Expression

Another staple of many RPGs, Expression is found in our personal choices about who we want our character to be, and what choices we want to make in the game through them. Our choice of weapons, armour, spells, appearance, faction-sympathies, home, roleplay factors, and more, can all be tied to elements of player Expression.

Skyrim also has the capacity to deliver on; Challenge, Sensation, and Narrative, but to a somewhat lesser extent in my opinion.

In terms of Challenge, while some mods raise the difficulty of, for instance, combat, it still remains only that - a difficulty increase. The combat in Skyrim is hardcoded to be fairly simplistic, with minimal emphasis on space, timing, and strategic awareness. Even with heavily scripted mods, it is hard to pull out of this state. The reason for this is that most of the core combat mechanics of the game can't be combined into enough categorically different Dynamics that the player can tackle and think through. While some Dynamics are different in scale - enemies may be tougher to beat than one another - there still is a fundamental similarity in the minimally-diverse way you overcome their toughness with combat. Challenge may be improved significantly out of combat by modders, but at its current state, Skyrim does fairly little to engage players meaningfully on the level of Challenge.

Sensation does have significant space for improvement, as the modding community has already shown to a stellar level. But the game is large and resource intensive even with moderate graphics settings. While Skyrim delivers decently on Sensation, for many who are interested in the game as an open-world RPG, it's more the gravy than the meat.

Narrative too has been developed quite wonderfully with some mods, but for those most part these were overhauls that completely changed the setting and lore of the world. Skyrim itself is of moderate Narrative merit, but it hardly has a complex and intricate storyline with complex and intricate characters. This could be improved on, no doubt, but vanilla Skyrim doesn't seem to have this as one of its core engagement factors.

[/line]

Well, that's all I'm writing for now. I might come back to this later, but it's a lot of work to finish all this in one go and I'd rather see what any of you have to say on the matter before I continue.

My intent was to discuss the current groups of Dynamics that Skyrim offers (such as exploration, dialogue, storyline, character-creation, inventory). My feeling so far is that a lot of the Dynamics don't really hone in on the core Aesthetics of Skyrim, and so the game experience feels diluted (largely due to the expansive but minimally intricate way in how Skyrim's content was made).

The thing about the Creation Kit (which is a mechanic) is that it can be combined with the other mechanics into an incredible scope of different Dynamics, as you're probably all well aware. This topic is mostly meant as food for thought for modders thinking of what could be meaningful additions to (or revisions of) the game. That's all for now, hope some of you have found this interesting.

Edited by Cryoshakespeare

I play a different Skyrim than you.

The limitations you speak of are not in my game.

My game is a wonder.

Fantasy: I view Skyrim as a fantasy simulator. The engine on which it runs has simulator characteristics. Not necessarily game characteristics. The only 2 games/sims that have more mods created than Skyrim are MS Flight Simulator & MS Train Simulator. Both these simulators have editors to create scenarios/quests & it is up to you to chose the content that defines your game/sim.

Since I don't care much Dragonborn scenario I ignore it with the help of mods that are designed to do this (Alternative Start, instant Dragons). I do play the game usually with a mage, warrior, rouge & healer.

Discovery: After thousand of hours spent in this game geographical exploration isn't part of the lure. This is your neighborhood, your home. It is like your favorite long running tv program that has the same sets but a different story every time you tune in. The combat system it basically what you make through the mods you chose to use. I use 9 mods to add enemies & 4 mods to modify their behavior. A bandit raid on Whiterun is site to see with most of the armed citizens battling the bandits at the gates. My high level enemies dodge projectiles, heal themselves, use cover & can easily defeat my party of 4.

Expression: My game dictates how my characters evolve. It may be that they find a powerful weapon or spell or who they meet. I use Alternative Start live another life to put my character into the game at a random location. The environment is so hostile that there is little chance that they will survive unless luck intervenes. That is how real adventure stories start.

The graphic intensity is up to you. I play at 4k with enb with over 250 mods installed so it is intense & beautiful.

This game is literally what you make it.

As I said my game is a wonder.

Later

I play a different Skyrim than you.

The limitations you speak of are not in my game.

My game is a wonder.

Fantasy: I view Skyrim as a fantasy simulator. The engine on which it runs has simulator characteristics. Not necessarily game characteristics. The only 2 games/sims that have more mods created than Skyrim are MS Flight Simulator & MS Train Simulator. Both these simulators have editors to create scenarios/quests & it is up to you to chose the content that defines your game/sim.

Since I don't care much Dragonborn scenario I ignore it with the help of mods that are designed to do this (Alternative Start, instant Dragons). I do play the game usually with a mage, warrior, rouge & healer.

Discovery: After thousand of hours spent in this game geographical exploration isn't part of the lure. This is your neighborhood, your home. It is like your favorite long running tv program that has the same sets but a different story every time you tune in. The combat system it basically what you make through the mods you chose to use. I use 9 mods to add enemies & 4 mods to modify their behavior. A bandit raid on Whiterun is site to see with most of the armed citizens battling the bandits at the gates. My high level enemies dodge projectiles, heal themselves, use cover & can easily defeat my party of 4.

Expression: My game dictates how my characters evolve. It may be that they find a powerful weapon or spell or who they meet. I use Alternative Start live another life to put my character into the game at a random location. The environment is so hostile that there is little chance that they will survive unless luck intervenes. That is how real adventure stories start.

The graphic intensity is up to you. I play at 4k with enb with over 250 mods installed so it is intense & beautiful.

This game is literally what you make it.

As I said my game is a wonder.

Later

I respect that you've turned Skyrim into more of a fantasy simulator than a player-focused game in itself, and it's an interesting facet of the game's possibilities that you can do that with the degree of success you have had. From what you've described, however, your experience of the game is very largely coming from your approach towards it - you've made it sound that you don't gravitate towards the most optimal solution in many in-game circumstances, and you've also made it sound that you're most interested in the experience of a character in a world, like a TV series, rather than being interested in being a player who is playing a game for various reasons (including but not limited to your own reason of enjoying the Fantasy).

And at least from the perspective of myself, many of my own friends, and certain portions of the demographic who play Skyrim that I've seen on the internet, your particular version of what you want out of the game is different to what we want, and, I'd argue, what has generally been advertised as the game experience that Bethesda is offering. You may have your opinions on whether we are "playing the game right or not", but that is simply the experience that I'm describing.

In any case, it's true that your Skyrim is different to mine. That's because you've modded it. And you've managed to mod it in such a way that it finally provides you with the experience you were looking for. But you've made it out that you aren't looking for so much a game as a fantasy-simulator, and what I'm trying to talk about in this thread is revising Skyrim at its core *as a game*.

As a game, Skyrim has been diluted in its core Aesthetics, and I believe that the discussion needs to be made on how to bring back the core of *the game*.

I hope this makes sense, I'm glad you're enjoying your experience, but this thread is about quite a different topic it seems.