Survival discussion

minngarm

So let's talk about the new BETA features, pros and cons, and various experiences.

For me I loaded a game I had just recently started after the automatron release, so was at lvl 12 loaded down with a few thousand rounds, a dozen weapons, full metal armor and some meds while hunting down Kellog.

Which of course left me over encumbered without food or water and without having done any of the settlement unlocks. Suffice it to say my first reaction was not favorable as I struggled to head north bleeding out from weight down on my way to the Red Rocket settlement.

After about an hour with a couple of deaths from inability to out maneuver various attacks due to weight down I had made up to RR and sorted through my equipment.

I can tell thus far that the settlement system is going to be hugely important with survival as you will need them setup to store and process gear as you move about.

Next with the disabled fast travel it has a bit of a double edged sword effect where it makes the connection with the BoS far more important for moving between bases with large amounts of gear and really adds to the immersion and need to plan out before moving on a quest as well as what to haul back. But it also means cutting off your supplies from one base to another (center map settlements will become far more important now.) Which makes resupply a pain for higher end equipment if you initially started out from Sanctuary or any of the other extreme out lying settlements.

An added bonus' to it is that power armor while plenty full is harder to use constantly due to the high power usage from simply carrying it around as you move (actually had my suite run out mid mission because I did not bring enough cores for the operation.)

Now the thirst, hunger, and tiredness are quite cleverly done. Having them drain AP (which is finally universally needed regardless of play style.) and only HP at severe levels is great. The only real problem I have with it is if I stop to drink from a pool of water or river it takes ages of clicking to lower the level even one when it clearly needs to be an E to enter constantly like with the water pump and E to exit again.

I think it needs many modification.

I also have plan to make mod for survival mode like you.

At this time, survival mode doesn't change game a lot.

I think it just add some penalty that make game play time long.

It doesn't mean it give you new game experience.

How so? What was your experience with it?

The needs should be toned down a bit. Other than that, they should keep Josh Hamrick and Jon Paul Duvall (the dudes who code it in game jam.) Love their ideas and they are taking them from the right places (dark souls.) hope they stay and have a bigger effect on the next games.

I really wanted to try a second playthrough on Survival Mode but I could not wait so long and started one up anyways. Now by the time Survival Mode arrives I will have the power base of a small Warlord from which the draw upon.

Did anyone else have this problem?

I would have, but decided to just wait until the construction kit comes out to start a new game. I am concerned about the direction the recent beta took things.

For example, the moderators saying that mods were not actually disabled for the beta. I am forced to wonder if the mods I do use now will be compatible? Or if I can fix them once the kit comes out. Yes,I am aware of the current workaround. However it is not without its flaws.

Then there are the side issues, of the console being disabled as a "feature". Or save only on sleep. I would resent like hell to lose progress because I got stuck in a wall.