Proper Permission and Credit

Hatemiser

From the Nexus Mods Terms of Service:

Nexus sites have quite a liberal content policy on what files are acceptable on the site but there are still rules all uploaders must adhere to. Failure to adhere to these rules will result in the file being removed from the site, the uploader's account being banned and if necessary all the details of the uploader being passed on to relevant authorities:

• Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws.
  • All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. Such permission must be indicated in the Readme text attached to the file and/or on the Description page (or in the Description field for images), and must be obtained in advance, before uploading the file. If you cannot provide proof of consent then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.
  • Always provide appropriate credit to authors who have given you permission to use their content in your files both within the file description and within your file readme, even if said content was published as free to use.

I believe that the file uploader interface states:

ALWAYS CREDIT WORK THAT ISN'T YOURS
If you have received permission to use someone elses assets in your files you should always credit them. If you don't credit assets you've used from other users you will be considered a thief and you're likely to

be banned; so it's very important you credit the work of others that you have used.
Note: crediting other people's work does not entitle you to use their work. You must always get permission from the creator of the work first before you upload it to the site.

The uploader also currently features a checkbox that reads:

"I testify that all the content in the files I am going to upload are my own or are used with the express permission of the original creators of the files I have used and I have properly credited the original creators in my ReadMe, and in the mod description or in the "Credits" text area of the "Distribution permission" section of this page. I understand and accept that I will be banned from this site if I am found to be lieing about this."

You can check for existing file permissions on Nexus file pages, by clicking on the "PERMS" tab, in the "ACTIONS:" section of the file page. Or, sometimes the permissions will be stated in the mod description, or for older files, information on usage may be found in the readme file.

It is the responsibility of the modder that wishes to use the assets of another modder, to seek permission. Not, the obligation of the original author to "police" the use of their files, or to request that an unauthorized edit be "taken down".

I realize that this sort of misuse has become commonplace on the Steam Workshop and Moddb, but I can't help but feel that it is important that proper "mod etiquette", along with the sense of integrity possessed by this site, be maintained.

-Thank You

Edited by Hatemiser