Snapping then rotating items on a "hinge".

striker75

I've searched but haven't been able to find a mod that does this. Is there a mod out there that will allow players to "snap" an object to the desired area (primarily walls) and then rotate that object along the snapped axis?

For instance, I place down my wall, I prepare another wall by snapping it to the first, however before "final placement" it allows me to then rotate that wall to say... a 45 degree angle from the first wall (barring any illegal placement issues) while staying "snapped" to the first wall. Upon pressing the confirmation button again I would then have a nice angled turn. it would allow me to create more "rounded" areas.

I know there are several convoluted ways of currently achieving this but they are ridiculously time consuming and frustratingly maddening sometimes.

Is there a mod out there that does this? or will I have to wait for the GECK?

Surely I'll be able to modify the behavior of the nodes once the GECK is released. Unless this is outside what the GECK is capable of. Perhaps we need something like the script extender if I want to change the nodes behavior. IDK, it's been years since I played around with the GECK or any modding since early Fallout 3.

Surely I'll be able to modify the behavior of the nodes once the GECK is released. Unless this is outside what the GECK is capable of. Perhaps we need something like the script extender if I want to change the nodes behavior. IDK, it's been years since I played around with the GECK or any modding since early Fallout 3.

This has literally 0 to do with GECK. Pretty sure the node behaviour is hardcoded in the engine.

What seems 'OBVIOUS' is sometimes completely wrong- anyone who first lays down walls/fences thinks such an option is 'obvious' but later when more sophisticated building has been attempted, the reason that this would not make sense becomes obvious.

'Snapping' is a POSITIONAL thing NOT an axis thing. the best you could do is add a level of META hinting data to a buildable object- in the case of a 'wall' the meta definition of a number of axis lines that could be toggle selected and used to rotate the wall about the axis REGARDLESS of its 'snapped' status.

But conceptually, in the FO4 engine, there is snap-to-build and free place, and that is how Beth artists have constructed the world.

A little practice with the FREE PLACE mods allows the functionality you seek, and so much more!

Edited by zanity

What seems 'OBVIOUS' is sometimes completely wrong- anyone who first lays down walls/fences thinks such an option is 'obvious' but later when more sophisticated building has been attempted, the reason that this would not make sense becomes obvious.

'Snapping' is a POSITIONAL thing NOT an axis thing. the best you could do is add a level of META hinting data to a buildable object- in the case of a 'wall' the meta definition of a number of axis lines that could be toggle selected and used to rotate the wall about the axis REGARDLESS of its 'snapped' status.

But conceptually, in the FO4 engine, there is snap-to-build and free place, and that is how Beth artists have constructed the world.

A little practice with the FREE PLACE mods allows the functionality you seek, and so much more!

Actually there is a way to make items snap and then rotate around that point. BUT! If that's the only point to which it can snap at this position. So basically I can make walls that acts like he requested, using a bit of magics :wink:

Edited by ad3d0