CelsiuZ

Hello!

I am not new to modding in Bethesda games, however, I cannot for the life of me understand how Combat Armor is modified.

All I am seeking to do is, to find out the secret knowledge behind how to create replacing combat armor as well as stand alone combat armor.

I understand that Fallout 4 uses a palette system when it comes to colors. But how that works, I honestly don't understand, I've tried to rip apart the structure and make up of many mods from people on here, but it still hasn't given me any insight on how to do it.

Could someone link a tutorial (if there is one, and I have in that case missed it) or explain in laymans terms how the two things I am trying to do was done.

Thanks a lot,

CelsiuZ

Fallout 4, unlike previous Bethesda games, uses material files. These are either .bgsm or .bgem files which provide a lot of information for the game to visually create the object. This is where the textures are specified and it also determines whether a colour palette is used for that particular texture or not. Only some objects use colour palettes.

You can edit material files using the Material Editor by Ousnius.

Perhaps this video tutorial would be a good starting point. It might cover some things you already know from other games, but it's from purely a fallout 4 perspective so you can at least establish where things are the same.

Hey!

Thanks for your reply!

I understand how that works, as I have made stand alone outfits before, however, the BGSM/JSON files for combat armor's don't exactly make sense to me.

For example, the combat armor chest JSON/BGSM file does not state anywhere what colour it uses from the palette.. if I read the file correctly, which confuses me.

That is kind of where I need clarification I suppose,

Once again, thanks for your reply

CelsiuZ