Should I buy a premium account?

Flopsies

I'm a normal member now, and I really hate the 500kb download rate, and is it worth the price and is it safe? There's so many scams, and with all the hackers that take down the site for an hour or two doing it every week, should I pay for it?

Yes it is safe. I've made two payments, one for a year and then one extending it to lifetime. I've not been robbed, have anything suspicious happen or develop a nasty rash. As for "Is it worth it?" only you can decide that, the lack of ads and increased speeds are certainly worth it for me, anyway it's also about giving something back.

I was once a premium member, I decided to try it out for a month.

I left a feedback topic on the forums and that basically went into detail about my experience.

You get a lot for your money.

If you're complaining about your max 500kb/s speed, spare a thought for me, I can only download at max 170kb/s because of my slow internet, but despite this it definitely improved my downloads here on the nexus.

Because most people download from the free servers your speed will most of the time be moderately slow. I myself have seen it drop to about 40/kbs on very populated servers.

So even though it may not have sped up my downloads, it was nice to know I'd always be download at MY max speed.

So bare that in mind.

I quite enjoyed having large space in my inbox because even now I'm struggling to decide which messages to delete and which to keep.

So if you use the messaging part of the nexus I'd recommend getting it.

Having a nice "Premium" Tag on your posts also looks very nice and can bring you a sense of pride to be on the nexus too as your contributing to its upkeep.

You get no ads either which is literally the best feature of Premium Members.

I'd always recommend getting Premium membership, check out its features in more detail and decide what you want it for and whether you will benefit in the long run.

If you decide not to, I'd recommend getting a Supporter Membership.

1) It funds the site... even if it is a little.

2) More space in your inbox to Message people (woo)

3) "Supporter" in your member area to separate you from the normal members

4) Supporter Imageshare

So you may not get your faster downloads and you'll still get ads but in the long run it's always best.

In my personal Opinion I suggest you try it out for a month first (It's very cheap)

If you like it, buy a year... or two... or three... or lifetime? :P

Jim_UK expressed my sentiments exactly and KD gave you some of the great reasons for going premium. I started with one month, then went to 6, now I'm up to a year. I do one year at a time so that I can continue to give back to the community in some small way over and over again.

Another perk is that you can see all of the files you have ever downloaded. That's very helpful for me in keeping track of certain ones. My tracking centre is filled with too many "wants" whereas the files I've downloaded show me what I actually have and when I got them.

No scam or problems, just benefits. As I always say, this is the first and only site that gets my hard earned money in the form of a paid membership. I'd do it as KD said and start wtih a month. If you like it, and it fits your needs, then there you go :thumbsup:

• 9 years later...

I use Wabbajack and it was definitely worth it until I ran into the API limit. I did not experience it for the first month of paying premium, but now I get stopped half-way through a mod-list and am given a message that I can't download anymore until 24 hours have passed. I was unable to download the full Elysuim modlist in a single run. This kind of defeats the purpose. I can just try to finish my modlist download tomorrow night after 3 AM, but damn.

I use Wabbajack and it was definitely worth it until I ran into the API limit. I did not experience it for the first month of paying premium, but now I get stopped half-way through a mod-list and am given a message that I can't download anymore until 24 hours have passed. I was unable to download the full Elysuim modlist in a single run. This kind of defeats the purpose. I can just try to finish my modlist download tomorrow night after 3 AM, but damn.

Do you happen to know how many mods that collection has? I was able to download Keizaal without hitting the limit (with around 700 mods) the other day.

As for the OP - it's from 2011 but if anyone is still wondering the same:

It's definitely safe as over the years we've had many thousands of users purchasing Premium membership and we have a "15 days 15 mods" refund policy - so if you request a refund within 15 days and if you've only downloaded 15 or fewer mods since then we're happy to refund you.

If it's worth it is for you to decide. The other posters here have already laid out the key benefits.

• Uncapped download speeds
  • Access to the supporter image share
  • More PM space
  • Ability to choose a preferred server from our global network

And in addition to that it is a way of supporting the site. Part of your contribution helps us fund our mod rewards system for mod authors as well.

One thing to consider: If you're getting 500KB/s now it means you're not maxing your current limit which, if you're using adblock should be 1 MB/s, if you're not using adblock it should be 2 MB/s.

See all our download speed caps for a precise breakdown. However, you can always try if it's better with Premium membership and if not, we can refund you (see the abovementioned regarding our refund policy).