Fallout 4 ini files missing error

NaviOnRoids

• 2 weeks later...

Hey NavionRiods, you need to change the text file to a ini file. And heres how http://www.mediacollege.com/microsoft/windows/extension-change.html You need to make it so you can see the file format, then change it to an ini file. If you don't do this you are just making a textfile called Fallout4Custom.ini .

YES! I was fighting this but I figured this out too and came here to post the same thing! My file LOOKED like an ini file but it was secretly a .ini.txt file! you have to show those file extensions. Darn you, new install of windows 10!

• 5 weeks later...

It's a bug, all you need to do is create a file (even if it's empty) and save it as Fallout4Custom.ini in you documents folder along with Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Prefs.ini

THAT"S the ini file that NMM is looking for that it can't find.

I did this and it still didn't fix it. Am I maybe doing it wrong?

Where have you installed FO4Edit? Is it in the Fallout 4 directory? I was having the same problem as above, and tried the same thing with no success, but I had FO4Edit in a separate folder, like I do for skyrim which normally allows TES5Edit to work fine, but I tried installing it directly into the folder where the fallout4.exe is and now it works fine.

Edited by JazWillz

The ini file is created the first time you run the game through the steam launcher. If you jumped straight into NMM or using F4SE to launch without using Steam first, you are not only missing a fallout4custom.ini, but very likely some game content that needs to be downloaded as well. Then after starting with the steam launcher - make a save to lock in the ini file.

One of the reason is the game needs to know something about your specific computer hardware, and uses that info to set up some of the ini entries. And that routine is only available using the steam launcher.

• 4 months later...

Hey NavionRiods, you need to change the text file to a ini file. And heres how http://www.mediacollege.com/microsoft/windows/extension-change.html You need to make it so you can see the file format, then change it to an ini file. If you don't do this you are just making a textfile called Fallout4Custom.ini .

omg lol ty fixed it for me my problem was it was Fallout4Prefs.ini.txt :P oops xD so thanks again

• 2 months later...

Had the same problem and found an easy fix. Since it is the Customs.ini that was missing I started FO4 opened the custom option and changed a few items then started the game and went to options and changed a few items also, then saved and exited. Tada the Customs.ini is created.

Hope this helps!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...