[LE] Do NPCs have the PowerMod AVs?

I'm changing the Fortify School enchantments to something a little more balanced. They now increase the power of spells instead of reducing their costs. This was done using the PowerMod values instead of the normal Mod values. The side effect is the enchantments no longer work on NPCs. I could alter the SkillBoost perk, but I'm trying to avoid that for better compatibility. The best fix would be to make those enchantments add AlchemySkillBoosts too, but of course this won't work if those NPCs don't have the PowerMod values.

I see. It really would be more useful to increase the power instead of reducing the costs of spells, you had a great idea in my opinion.

What I meant is that you should not be concerned about alchemy in NPCs, since the player is the only one who crafts potions in the game (alchemy is about potions only). If it works for the player, no further change is need.

Btw, since you are changing things related to magic, I did some tests some time ago, and I could notice that NPCs may cast spells even if they don't have enough magicka to casts those spell, I hope this information may be useful for you in your work.

After logging off I looked through the ck hoping to find something easy to test that can be assigned to a PowerMod, and I did, mod incoming damage! This was my test:

I made a perk that used AlchemyPowerMod to reduce incoming damage.

I changed the alchemy enchantment to use that PowerMod instead of the regular Mod.

I made it equip the new perk.

Finally I changed its 06 enchant, peerless, to 100.

(I find it easier to test things by editing what's already there.)

Then I loaded the game and found a merc named Jenasa.

I hired here and gave her a helmet of Peerless Alchemy (aka helm of invulnerability), and she equipped it.

I raised my 2 hand skill to 100 and gave myself a Dragonbone Warhammer. (80 something damage.)

I hit her repeatedly, and she took large amounts of damage. Luckily, she didn't fight back.

I took back my helmet and equipped it.

Then I "fired" her and attacked.

She fought back, but I took no damage.

Then I unequipped my helmet, and I received damage from the attacks.

This proves that NPCs either don't have Powermod Values or can't have new perks equipped. Either way, it looks like I'm stuck editing the SkillBoost perk. :sad:

PS:

I ran more test to see which of the two problems it was. It's more shocking then I expected.

First I tried a regular Mod value. That didn't work.

Then I tried using a PowerMod in the PerkSkillBoost perk. That also didn't work.

Then I tried using a regular Mod in the PerkSkillBoost perk. Surprisingly, that didn't work too.

Then I did some digging, and I discovered PerkSkillBoosts is used by the player and all presets except the beast races, but not by any NPCs. Therefore, only the player has the perk. After manually adding the perk the enchantment worked. This means the NPCs were never programed to use fortify skill enchantments.

Also, I can't get an enchantment or ability to add perks to an NPC, but they can add perks to the player. I guess Bethesda really doesn't want us upgrading our followers.

Edited by GaigeTheMechromancer

• 4 years later...
In this case it is complicated, I also tested this in NPC's:

normal: usually designated to fortify, but in my case I usually prefer the powermod.

+ mod: enchantment

+ powermod: fortify potion

In fact most of these effects are incompatible with NPCS, and also the perk application area seems to be assigned to the player only, it is better to add perks directly to the NPC, however it is still possible to add some effects to the NPCS through Magic Effect / Assoc. Item 1:

Melee Damage: Melee 1H/2H

Archery: Missile

Resist Damage

Speed: Movement

Weapon Speed

Unarmed Damage

Fortify Resist Potions spells works

Fortify Potions: Health/Magicka/Stamina

Regarding magic, the resist potions help, but you can create a perk of "mod incoming spell magnitude" and add it directly to the npc.

I'm doing a personal mode, so I've been studying these things, far from knowing everything about it, but it helps to strengthen some npcs differently.

------

Edit.

Holy @$%! OMG

I added this perk "AlchemySkillBoosts" for my follower as GaigeTheMechromancer mentioned and now the powermodav "all fortify potions" works. :laugh:

I didn't think it would work that simple, I thought it was something internal.

Although I don't intend to use this on all npcs, but in follower and boss it is very useful.