Wanted: NMM Testers and Focus Group

TheTokenGeek

We’re currently in the process of adding new features into Nexus Mod Manager, Robin covered it briefly in a previous news post, so I’ll try and expand a little more.

What we are aiming for with NMM is a piece of software that will make the installation, management and visibility of mods incredibly easy and open. You see a mod you like on our site, you click ‘Download with NMM’ and have it seamlessly downloaded, unpacked and placed in the right location with minimal fuss. Don’t like the file, then click to uninstall and NMM will go through and ensure that all remnants of that file are removed and your game functions exactly as it did previously. We’ve not really scratched the surface of advanced modding techniques yet, but we’ll get there once we’ve sussed out the simple stuff!

The thing is, with a bare-bones team behind the scenes here at the Nexus, testing and bug finding is a very long and tedious process, and we often miss things that an extended team might pick up on. So we are looking to find some current users of the NMM to join Robin, myself and the team in testing the future builds and helping us develop a concise and user-friendly bit of software.

You will be added to a closed focus group that will be dedicated to the NMM platform and be able to try out new test builds before we publish the new version to the masses. It’ll be your job to try and break the test builds and inform us of the problem so we can fix it.

If you fancy joining in then either drop me a PM through the site or an email to [email protected] and I will send you an invite through a piece of software called ‘Slack’ We have once again had such a huge response that this group is now full... Thank you so much to everyone that has volunteered!

Here we will have a number of channels where you can discuss bugs you find for a particular build, ideas you have for improving the software or even just to chat about the weather. Within the group you will have direct access to Robin, Tom, Dave and Myself along with the NMM developers and with all of us working together we’ll move the NMM platform onwards and upwards.

Our current tests involve the new ‘Profile backup and sharing’ functionality. Here a user can save their mod profile and have it backed up on the Nexus Mods site. This profile can either be kept as a personal backup, available only to yourself, or it can be shared with other users, allowing them to download any mods they’re missing from your profile and have it setup exactly how you have it (including scripted installer options, installation order and load order). The result being they can play their game with the exact same mods and options as yourself.

In addition, we'd like to invite those of you interested in directly helping us with the development of NMM to the new repo we've opened on Github. Though NMM has always been open-source, we're hoping that the well-known Github interface and functionality will inspire even more collaboration. We're always on the lookout for new and better ways of doing things as well as expanding NMM's feature-set. So, if you're familiar with modding and software development, your contributions will undoubtedly go a long way in helping us offer a better modding experience for everyone.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance

Kind regards

http://s16.postimg.org/aitykfgyp/signature_xsmall_yellow.png

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #36886230.

BlindJudge wrote: We’re currently in the process of adding new features into Nexus Mod Manager, Robin covered it briefly in a previous news post, so I’ll try and expand a little more.

What we are aiming for with NMM is a piece of software that will make the installation, management and visibility of mods incredibly easy and open. You see a mod you like on our site, you click ‘Download with NMM’ and have it seamlessly downloaded, unpacked and placed in the right location with minimal fuss. Don’t like the file, then click to uninstall and NMM will go through and ensure that all remnants of that file are removed and your game functions exactly as it did previously. We’ve not really scratched the surface of advanced modding techniques yet, but we’ll get there once we’ve sussed out the simple stuff!

The thing is, with a bare-bones team behind the scenes here at the Nexus, testing and bug finding is a very long and tedious process, and we often miss things that an extended team might pick up on. So we are looking to find some current users of the NMM to join Robin, myself and the team in testing the future builds and helping us develop a concise and user-friendly bit of software.

You will be added to a closed focus group that will be dedicated to the NMM platform and be able to try out new test builds before we publish the new version to the masses. It’ll be your job to try and break the test builds and inform us of the problem so we can fix it.

If you fancy joining in then either drop me a PM through the site or an email to [email protected] and I will send you an invite through a piece of software called ‘Slack’. Here we will have a number of channels where you can discuss bugs you find for a particular build, ideas you have for improving the software or even just to chat about the weather. Within the group you will have direct access to Robin, Tom, Dave and Myself along with the NMM developers and with all of us working together we’ll move the NMM platform onwards and upwards.

Our current tests involve the new ‘Profile backup and sharing’ functionality. Here a user can save their mod profile and have it backed up on the Nexus Mods site. This profile can either be kept as a personal backup, available only to yourself, or it can be shared with other users, allowing them to download any mods they’re missing from your profile and have it setup exactly how you have it (including scripted installer options, installation order and load order). The result being they can play their game with the exact same mods and options as yourself.

In addition, we'd like to invite those of you interested in directly helping us with the development of NMM to the new repo we've opened on Github. Though NMM has always been open-source, we're hoping that the well-known Github interface and functionality will inspire even more collaboration. We're always on the lookout for new and better ways of doing things as well as expanding NMM's feature-set. So, if you're familiar with modding and software development, your contributions will undoubtedly go a long way in helping us offer a better modding experience for everyone.

Kind regards

I was a scepitic and I am no more so I will keep at that way.
Good luck with building a testing company - I guess that will not become a big problem :-)

In response to post #36886230. #36886405 is also a reply to the same post.

BlindJudge wrote: We’re currently in the process of adding new features into Nexus Mod Manager, Robin covered it briefly in a previous news post, so I’ll try and expand a little more.

If you fancy joining in then either drop me a PM through the site or an email to [email protected] and I will send you an invite through a piece of software called ‘Slack’. Here we will have a number of channels where you can discuss bugs you find for a particular build, ideas you have for improving the software or even just to chat about the weather. Within the group you will have direct access to Robin, Tom, Dave and Myself along with the NMM developers and with all of us working together we’ll move the NMM platform onwards and upwards.

Kind regards

fredlaus wrote: I was a scepitic and I am no more so I will keep at that way.
Good luck with building a testing company - I guess that will not become a big problem :-)

Love this idea and will shoot a message. :D

I would just like to say, I can't stand the feature that when I "double click" on a mod, intending to uninstall it, it instead gets "disabled". Having to manually right click and uninstall gets agitating. Small gripe, but just something that has been bugging me.

It would be really cool if you would cjust contact the author of Mod Organizer and create a mix. Most features like UI, Archive-Handling are simply better than NMMs, so why should you invest work, when you already have an advanced Organizer to built on?

I would LOVE to help, but im not familiar neither software development or modding (know only how to use them).

at least for me when i look at software development, for me it looks like you need at least ONE doctorate lol.

Would absolutely love to help, I've been on nexus for a LONG LONG LONG time now, from around 2007

when Oblivion was "the game". But im afraid that i lack the requirement to join the team. Anyway good job all these years, and keep up the good work, the nexus have come a long way since then :D

Back then my English was so bad i didn't even understand Oblivion. Guess I've come a long way too :D

Anyway it was a long, but fun and nice 9 years and i look forward to a even better future ;P

Sounds good if mods were software made by professionals but most are not & some can be harmful to the game. Uninstalling some types for mods will trash your game if a save is made with them. You would need to have more control of the mods being uploaded for your scheme to work & that would stifle creativity.

FYI. People not only mod the games but mod mods as well & like a lot of people NMM has left me behind because of it.

I have gone back to modding games manually like I did with Oblivion because I basically don't want a dependency on any mod manager. I want more control not less.

I think going for a "NMM lite" that is configured as a tool would be better for the community than more complex software. I know it would be better for me.

Later