Wanted: NMM Testers and Focus Group

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #36895620.

Lukong1515 wrote: One think I always wondered is that Modders while emulate where the files go, but if I copy and paste to manual install, Windows will overwrite the Folders Rather than Merge and on top of that if I want uninstall...I would have to find each file myself.

If Modders say Put these ffiles in the DATA Folder, here and here, really there just needs to be a program that follows the Modder's Folder Structure set out for us (Data > Mesh/Texture > character, etc) , knows which files belong to which Mod (For Uninstalling & Updating) and from there detect optional files that can be switched out (Keep All, but don't remove or overwrite), detect un Program from Mod Manager) and last have the Validation Activation reactivate itself every time you install a mod.

And from there back when I use to mod GTA:SA, people make 2 Types of Mods, Replacers and Adders if it where possible to choose easily between the two and as well if you can choose to make an Add Mod a Replace Mod and versa.

What? Windows will overwrite folders? What are you using, Windows 98?

I sent you a pretty terse DM saying I will join the group if you need or want me. I have downloaded Slack and can proceed at any time.

I have some small experience running NMM and at this moment I have a solid 0.61.16 installation managing FO4. I am also using FO4Edit to manage my load order.

In response to post #36895620. #36900030 is also a reply to the same post.

Lukong1515 wrote: One think I always wondered is that Modders while emulate where the files go, but if I copy and paste to manual install, Windows will overwrite the Folders Rather than Merge and on top of that if I want uninstall...I would have to find each file myself.

If Modders say Put these ffiles in the DATA Folder, here and here, really there just needs to be a program that follows the Modder's Folder Structure set out for us (Data > Mesh/Texture > character, etc) , knows which files belong to which Mod (For Uninstalling & Updating) and from there detect optional files that can be switched out (Keep All, but don't remove or overwrite), detect un Program from Mod Manager) and last have the Validation Activation reactivate itself every time you install a mod.

And from there back when I use to mod GTA:SA, people make 2 Types of Mods, Replacers and Adders if it where possible to choose easily between the two and as well if you can choose to make an Add Mod a Replace Mod and versa.
Loxus wrote: What? Windows will overwrite folders? What are you using, Windows 98?

There's already "replacers" and "add-on" mods the latter are referred to as "stand-alone" mods) but an option to switch between them is extremely difficult (in my opinion) because that would imply that there's a whole string of actions involved that keep this replacement mod from overwriting existing files, and also find a way to at the same time switch-off existing files in a game to use the new files instead of the old ones...

@Loxus:

Errrm... I'm using Win7 and it "over-writes" folders, yes. Since an OS only overwrites files that are named the same, one can also call it "merging".

In response to post #36897420. #36899000 is also a reply to the same post.

frogsot wrote: What about having our mod profiles backed up to the server, so we can download all mods on the profile at once? This way if we have to reinstall the game or use another pc re-downloading all the mods would be less of a hassle.
Dark0ne wrote: That's one of the main parts of the Profile functionality we're currently testing.

This is fantastic. If I were better at coding, I'd help you guys in an instant. This is god's work you do.

I'd like to see the mod update mechanic improved. The whole manual uninstall thing sometimes annoys me, although I understand why - a certain level of control is wanted - but updating a single mod with a right click or something should not be too hard.

In response to post #36907610.

SternbergMD wrote: What do you think about removing restrictions on download speed for average users? I think that this shouldn't be limited to paid users, honestly.

The demands they get is too high to remove this restriction while this is a feature open to premium members. Premium exist so that those you actually use/visit nexus frequently can benefit without restrictions and support nexus. The servers they have to get and maintain cost a lot; with how many people come to this site even outside just downloading mods. This is a community not necessarily just a file hosting site. Edited by crisdavid7341