Wanted: NMM Testers and Focus Group

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #36910965. #36911220, #36923925 are all replies on the same post.

prinyo wrote:

In response to post #36893740.

Jinxxed0 wrote: I dont want to share my profiles because I modify just about every single mod i download and at least 60% of the mods i use come from somehwere else or are my personal mods. I dont want to download other people's profiles either. so please don't ruin the experience for those of us who don;'t want that stuff. Don't be windows 8/10

Then don't share your profile or download other people's profiles, then...

I read this reply as a promise that the new profile uploading features will be implemented as truly optional with no impact on the people who don't want to use them. That's good news!

Such a reassurance is needed, because only several months ago the profiles themselves were added as an obligatory to use feature with far reaching consequences for people who don't want to use them but have no way to switch them of.

(You can't "not use the profiles", by design you are always using some default profile. Even if you never create a profile you are using the one the software created for you with all the consequences of the virtual install logic)

jinxxed0 was simply expressing the concern that I also (an other users) have that the new features will not be entirely optional and will create additional problems for the users who don't want to use them. So it is really nice the have the assurance of the site owner that this is not going to be the case.

Dark0ne wrote: It would be a huge breach of privacy if all the mods you use in NMM were automatically shared with everyone on the internet. So, naturally, this is going to be completely opt-in and can safely be ignored if you have no interest in it.
phantompally76 wrote: Would it have killed you to word it like this initially rather than to go out of your way to try to make Jinxxed0 feel stupid? He's a supporter for God's sake. Why would you do that?

I wasn't aware it was going to be an opt-in, either. I don't think most people are. Everything about it has felt invasive, unnecessary and overcomplicated. I haven't forgotten how upset people were when they installed 0.61 in good faith, had to reinstall their entire mod stack (which may have taken years to collect, tweak and get to play nice with each other) and when expressing their disappointment were essentially met with "Well, you should have read the agreement more carefully. It was right there in big red letters, you contemptible morons". This is why I'm still using 0.56.1, and I asked two pages back whether this still happens when you upgrade. I didn't receive a response, so I have no intentions of upgrading, simple as that.

Are you going to condescend me and try to make me feel stupid as well? I suppose you have a better claim to do so than you did for Jinxxed0, because I'm not a supporter or premium member (and this is a prime example of why I am not), but come on, man. I understand it's your site, your rules, your little kingdom where your word is law, and I get that. I just don't understand why you would go out of your way to make people who have given you money feel stupid because they don't know as much about the software as you do. Ignorance does not equal stupidity, and misinformation does not warrant such condescension.

I like this site, and I like being a part of this community, and I appreciate the webspace. And I understand this is a business and source of income for you. But sometimes, man, sometimes I have to really bite my tongue when I read your correspondences with the community. And I don't think I'm alone.

If you don't want to use the new functionality, just ignore the new tab, NMM won't force you into it.

If you just want to backup your profile for you and only you to access, so you and only you can download it using your Nexus credentials on a another pc or after a complete system reboot, you can just have an online backup.

If you want to share it you can click on the button to share it, if at any time you want to hide it from public you'll be free to do that by simply pressing a button.

In response to post #36910965. #36911220, #36923925 are all replies on the same post.

prinyo wrote:

Jinxxed0 wrote: I dont want to share my profiles because I modify just about every single mod i download and at least 60% of the mods i use come from somehwere else or are my personal mods. I dont want to download other people's profiles either. so please don't ruin the experience for those of us who don;'t want that stuff. Don't be windows 8/10

I read this reply as a promise that the new profile uploading features will be implemented as truly optional with no impact on the people who don't want to use them. That's good news!

Such a reassurance is needed, because only several months ago the profiles themselves were added as an obligatory to use feature with far reaching consequences for people who don't want to use them but have no way to switch them of.

(You can't "not use the profiles", by design you are always using some default profile. Even if you never create a profile you are using the one the software created for you with all the consequences of the virtual install logic)

jinxxed0 was simply expressing the concern that I also (an other users) have that the new features will not be entirely optional and will create additional problems for the users who don't want to use them. So it is really nice the have the assurance of the site owner that this is not going to be the case.

Dark0ne wrote: It would be a huge breach of privacy if all the mods you use in NMM were automatically shared with everyone on the internet. So, naturally, this is going to be completely opt-in and can safely be ignored if you have no interest in it.
phantompally76 wrote: Would it have killed you to word it like this initially rather than to go out of your way to try to make Jinxxed0 feel stupid? He's a supporter for God's sake. Why would you do that?

I wasn't aware it was going to be an opt-in, either. I don't think most people are. Everything about it has felt invasive, unnecessary and overcomplicated. I haven't forgotten how upset people were when they installed 0.61 in good faith, had to reinstall their entire mod stack (which may have taken years to collect, tweak and get to play nice with each other) and when expressing their disappointment were essentially met with "Well, you should have read the agreement more carefully. It was right there in big red letters, you contemptible morons". This is why I'm still using 0.56.1, and I asked two pages back whether this still happens when you upgrade. I didn't receive a response, so I have no intentions of upgrading, simple as that.

Are you going to condescend me and try to make me feel stupid as well? I suppose you have a better claim to do so than you did for Jinxxed0, because I'm not a supporter or premium member (and this is a prime example of why I am not), but come on, man. I understand it's your site, your rules, your little kingdom where your word is law, and I get that. I just don't understand why you would go out of your way to make people who have given you money feel stupid because they don't know as much about the software as you do. Ignorance does not equal stupidity, and misinformation does not warrant such condescension.

I like this site, and I like being a part of this community, and I appreciate the webspace. And I understand this is a business and source of income for you. But sometimes, man, sometimes I have to really bite my tongue when I read your correspondences with the community. And I don't think I'm alone.

If you don't want to use the new functionality, just ignore the new tab, NMM won't force you into it.

If you just want to backup your profile for you and only you to access, so you and only you can download it using your Nexus credentials on a another pc or after a complete system reboot, you can just have an online backup.

If you want to share it you can click on the button to share it, if at any time you want to hide it from public you'll be free to do that by simply pressing a button.

This answer is quite reassuring, thank you for clearing that up!

The only thing your post doesn't explain is what will happen if I have even one mod that is not on Nexus added to a profile I want to backup/share?

Or what will happen if even one of the mods in my profile, hosted on Nexus, is hidden or deleted by it's author?

Also doing all this on a profile level defeats it's own purpose. What you actually need is "bundles" or "mod packs".

The real life situation will be that user A shares a profile that has weapons mods collected and setup the way I want. User B shares a profile with body replacers and clothes conversions that I like. User C shares a profile that has really good tweaks of the world objects. Sharing on the level "profiles" will not help me in this situation.

I can appreciate what you try to achieve, but doing it on the level of the profiles is simply unusable, even for the main target group you have in mind.

I'm really curious to see what real life use cases you have in mind for the profile sharing feature and what % of users you expect to use it. Because I can't imagine how you are going to justify the time and the manpower invested in a feature that is flawed by design and un-helpful for most of your users.

In response to post #36889375. #36892095 is also a reply to the same post.

Argelos wrote: It would be really cool if you would cjust contact the author of Mod Organizer and create a mix. Most features like UI, Archive-Handling are simply better than NMMs, so why should you invest work, when you already have an advanced Organizer to built on?
b737 wrote: +1 .... best thing about mod organizer is that u can pack it on usb without a game and take it use it leater... Also no changes in "core" game... mmmm..

+1

In response to post #36910965. #36911220, #36923925, #36926780 are all replies on the same post.

prinyo wrote:

DuskDweller wrote: If you don't want to use the new functionality, just ignore the new tab, NMM won't force you into it.

Indeed, it seems like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about something.

I wasn't aware it was going to be an opt-in, either. I don't think most people are. Everything about it has felt invasive, unnecessary and overcomplicated.

Are you claiming to speak for the majority here? And you talk about my audacity...

Considering that using profiles in the new build of NMM (0.60 onwards) is completely optional, it would be very hard to force people to share profiles they may or may not even be using! As you've said you don't even use any versions of NMM 0.60+ onwards, I understand why you might be confused. But don't try and claim you talk for the majority in your post because of your own confusion on the matter.

"Well, you should have read the agreement more carefully. It was right there in big red letters, you contemptible morons"

Indeed, at the time of the 0.60 release of NMM and the subsequent issues, I admonished the people sending us death threats, thanked those very small amount of users who'd given us meaningful bug reports, and I expressed a shock that so many people blindly install updates of beta software that's well known and documented to have regular buggy releases. I also encouraged people to read the release notes and any warnings prior to clicking "next" continuously on future updates until the update process is finished without reading anything.

I still stand by that. Sorry if that some how insults you.

Are you going to condescend me and try to make me feel stupid as well?

I'm going to talk to you the same way I have talked to everyone for the past 15 years on this site. If you feel like this is condescension then...er....ok!?

I just don't understand why you would go out of your way to make people who have given you money feel stupid because they don't know as much about the software as you do. Ignorance does not equal stupidity, and misinformation does not warrant such condescension.

Personally, I don't understand where you got the idea that I was treating Prinyo like an idiot in my response. Or indeed, why you felt the need to come in and White Knight him like this. Perhaps I'm just blind to it, or perhaps it's that seeming(ly obvious) chip on your shoulder again? I answered his question, and gave him a good reason why we would never do such a thing to boot as well. If you think that's rude or insulting then...er...ok?

I am, and always have been, blunt, direct, to the point, and openly lacking in every PR skill going. I'm bloody sure you're not alone in your distaste for how I interact with certain situations. Do you think I really mind that? Of course I don't. I've been doing this for 15 years now. The way I talk hasn't changed, and likely won't change. Some people like the blunt approach I have, others despise it and say I have a (misplaced) superiority complex. Frankly, I don't really give a rats. This is just who I am and how I do things.

I feel like you've blown up over the most ridiculous thing. Re-reading my original response, I really don't get why you got your knickers in a twist over it. I can only assume that you have that chip on your shoulder from the 0.60 release, which you didn't appreciate, and as such it's manifesting itself now over the silliest of things so you can get your point across to me about how you dislike how I talk to people in certain situations.

Thanks for letting me know you dislike how I talk to people. Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #36910965. #36911220, #36923925, #36926780, #36929315 are all replies on the same post.

prinyo wrote:

DuskDweller wrote: If you don't want to use the new functionality, just ignore the new tab, NMM won't force you into it.

Dark0ne wrote:
In response to post #36910965. #36911220, #36923925, #36926780 are all replies on the same post.

prinyo wrote:

Indeed, it seems like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about something.

I wasn't aware it was going to be an opt-in, either. I don't think most people are. Everything about it has felt invasive, unnecessary and overcomplicated.

Are you claiming to speak for the majority here? And you talk about my audacity...

Considering that using profiles in the new build of NMM (0.60 onwards) is completely optional, it would be very hard to force people to share profiles they may or may not even be using! As you've said you don't even use any versions of NMM 0.60+ onwards, I understand why you might be confused. But don't try and claim you talk for the majority in your post because of your own confusion on the matter.

"Well, you should have read the agreement more carefully. It was right there in big red letters, you contemptible morons"

Indeed, at the time of the 0.60 release of NMM and the subsequent issues, I admonished the people sending us death threats, thanked those very small amount of users who'd given us meaningful bug reports, and I expressed a shock that so many people blindly install updates of beta software that's well known and documented to have regular buggy releases. I also encouraged people to read the release notes and any warnings prior to clicking "next" continuously on future updates until the update process is finished without reading anything.

I still stand by that. Sorry if that some how insults you.

Are you going to condescend me and try to make me feel stupid as well?

I'm going to talk to you the same way I have talked to everyone for the past 15 years on this site. If you feel like this is condescension then...er....ok!?

I just don't understand why you would go out of your way to make people who have given you money feel stupid because they don't know as much about the software as you do. Ignorance does not equal stupidity, and misinformation does not warrant such condescension.

Personally, I don't understand where you got the idea that I was treating Prinyo like an idiot in my response. Or indeed, why you felt the need to come in and White Knight him like this. Perhaps I'm just blind to it, or perhaps it's that seeming(ly obvious) chip on your shoulder again? I answered his question, and gave him a good reason why we would never do such a thing to boot as well. If you think that's rude or insulting then...er...ok?

I am, and always have been, blunt, direct, to the point, and openly lacking in every PR skill going. I'm bloody sure you're not alone in your distaste for how I interact with certain situations. Do you think I really mind that? Of course I don't. I've been doing this for 15 years now. The way I talk hasn't changed, and likely won't change. Some people like the blunt approach I have, others despise it and say I have a (misplaced) superiority complex. Frankly, I don't really give a rats. This is just who I am and how I do things.

I feel like you've blown up over the most ridiculous thing. Re-reading my original response, I really don't get why you got your knickers in a twist over it. I can only assume that you have that chip on your shoulder from the 0.60 release, which you didn't appreciate, and as such it's manifesting itself now over the silliest of things so you can get your point across to me about how you dislike how I talk to people in certain situations.

Thanks for letting me know you dislike how I talk to people.

Roasted. So. Hard.