Oh dear. I'm *not* a fan of the new layout. I'm having flashbacks of the disastrous changes that happened over at Digg with their transition from v3 to v4. I'm just going to give my list of Pros and Cons with my reasons why i have labeled it as such. I'll start with the Cons.
1. Overall "smartphone-esque" design: It comes off as very generic and uninspired.
2. TESNexus Logo: I understand what the design of the converging arrows means (hint: Nexus) but, again, it's very generic. Also, there's nothing "elder scrolls" about the style of font you used for "tesnexus". Maybe i'm just used to the distressed font you've been using.
3. Compressed page layout: Harkening back to what i said about Digg, they used to have a full page layout like the current Nexus but then switched to the "facebook/everything is in the center" layout. It was a bad move and complete waste of space. I know you said this is being looked into if i remember correctly so i am crossing my fingers that you change it.
4. Capsule style navigation buttons: Personal style choice, I think capsule style buttons look very generic and cheap. That said... It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't all lit up at once. I liked how the original buttons would light up on rollover.
5. All the green buttons: I'm not exactly sure why there is a "download" button when you can just go down to the "files" button; kinda redundant IMO. I think the endorsement and FOTM voting button should be put down with the other file buttons. The old icons of a checkmark and thumb can be restyled to fit into the new icon scheme i'm sure. As an aside, am i missing something or is there no way to down-vote a file? I only see an "endorse me" button. That's not necessarily a bad thing as there are some people who down-vote files for really BS reasons. I hate to keep bringing up Digg but that was another major misstep when they changed formats. They took away the ability to down-vote stories (aka: burying) and it caused quite an uproar.
6. Lack of color in icons: The icons in the "actions" section and for "files, comments, discussions" etc. need color back. This is a minor nitpick of mine but more color would be nice and not just orange highlights.
That's it for the cons... for now.
1. The Images section is pretty nice now. A lot cleaner. I also like that there's a top 5 images sidebar. Perhaps you could expand it to 10 or higher?
2. I absolutely love that there's now a "more from uploader" section. It was annoying navigating through to find it the old way. Can't wait for this.
3. I like how downloadable files are now in list format and not cubes. I'm hoping this can cut down on some of the clutter and confusion that some mods with MANY separate files create.
I'm sorry if some of my critiques came off as petty or harsh but i'm just speaking my mind. I've seen more than a few good sites go down after major redesigns. It just worries me when sites go through these "i want to look like everyone else" moments. They end up losing that something special about them and just become another "me too" generic site. Hopefully this will end up being a good transition though, i have faith. Either way, if you leave the new design exactly as it is now it won't stop me coming here. The Nexus has the best mod site(s) around and that won't change. Thanks for your time.