New Nexus site design and future

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

spookycandy

spookycandy

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 109 posts
I have some concerns about using too many stripes and bright colors. It can be distracting and very hard on the eyes when it's late a night.

I can also add to the IE9 bug confirmation.

One of the important things to note about IE9 is that it actually fixes a lot of bugs that previous internet explorers had. With previous versions of internet explorer (7, 8 and the dreaded 6) you had to incorporate a bunch of stupid fixes in your code to make it work. IE9 DOES NOT NEED those fixes, and if you try to use them, it will break the site. You need to add an exception in so that it treats IE9 like the other browsers.

I've been with IE9 since before it came out and it took me a long time to figure that out with my code, but it saved me a ton of hassle when I finally did.

Just thought I'd mention it! It's also being used as a mobile browser soon so compatibility with it is extremely important.

spookycandy

spookycandy

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 109 posts
Other people are adding more detailed critiques and I am going to as well.

• The striped background on the drop downs not only looks... well, about ten years outdated, but it's hard to read.
  • The bright orange menu bar is distracting from the actual content. You want the person's eyes to zone in on the pictures and site content, not the header.
  • warn against using too many drop down menus, because it's actually less user friendly.
  • Your logo is tiny and it was the last thing I noticed on the page. It should be more obvious.
  • The bright orange seems like a complete copy of this.
  • The jquery feature used for the main image isn't very fine tuned. I'm aware this is just a demo but it definitely needs to be cleaned up--a lot. The text being directly over the image kind of distracts from the image. Perhaps try putting the text under the image instead?
  • Seriously consider getting rid of the bright orange/striped backgrounds and replacing it with another grayscale element with orange text. It really does look bad. It makes the site look less professional than I know it is.
  • The footer does not need to be a second navigation, and definitely doesn't need to have lists of various links in it.
  • On the mod pages there is lag when loading comments, and sometimes comments won't load at all (in all browsers).
  • The thumbnails are an awkward size. I have to squint to see them. They're too small and wide.
  • The categories page looks very pretty at first glance, but then seems like a very long and over sized list. I'm scrolling way too much to find what I need.
  • The site can't seem to decide if it wants to be minimal or if it wants to be content packed.
  • Never used fixed width for the main content, use flow to set that.
I bet this will look great when it's in its final release, but for now this is a beta site--and it shows. I'm sorry to pick it apart, but it just does not scream "functional". It screams messy. It's not that it sucks, no, it could be WAY worse (at least the programmer knows what he's doing). However the site design is confused and doesn't know what it wants to be. It'll use icons instead of text for tabs to be minimal, but then go on to list out a UL navigation in all text. There's too much crammed onto a single page. If it were to launch now, though, it'd be a disaster. As I understand it's a beta so it'll most likely have these problems fixed by the end of August.

I suggest putting a feedback box on the beta site so people could easily report bugs they're finding with it and make suggestions like me. Who knows, maybe people will come to really like it!

Again I'm really sorry... I hate to be so critical of a site and community I have come to love so much. :(

Edited by spookycandy, 15 August 2011 - 02:53 AM.

nuclearsean

nuclearsean

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
The bright orange on that site with the white text against is killing my eyes. There's no contrast to make it easy to read and the stripped background makes it hard to focus on the text in your navigation menus.

Other than that I don't have any real complaints since I like the layout a lot since it focuses the eyes and gives a cleaner/crisper view in both searches and for individual files.

chronosmagus

chronosmagus

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 130 posts
While the functionality works fine (quite an improvement on some areas) the layout itself rubs me the wrong way. It feels a bit plastic and cheap with lots of pointless 'web 2.0' effects and it leaves none of the original design.

I think with some very minor changes you can get rid of some of the effects (like the awful stripes) and introduce some of the 'classic' elements that make it a recognizable nexus website.

I screwed around some in the CSS to give an idea of how a few changes can bring back that nexus feeling. I simply removed some of the background images and replaced them with background colors, getting rid of the effects and rounded borders (plus some other changes). It gives you an idea, obviously it's not intended as a final and I think especially the menu could still look better :P

Also I replaced the background with a lighter version. If you're going for a separate, fixed width 'inside box', why not get some contrast so it stands out a little?

Posted Image

spookycandy

spookycandy

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 109 posts

While the functionality works fine (quite an improvement on some areas) the layout itself rubs me the wrong way. It feels a bit plastic and cheap with lots of pointless 'web 2.0' effects and it leaves none of the original design.

I think with some very minor changes you can get rid of some of the effects (like the awful stripes) and introduce some of the 'classic' elements that make it a recognizable nexus website.

I screwed around some in the CSS to give an idea of how a few changes can bring back that nexus feeling. I simply removed some of the background images and replaced them with background colors, getting rid of the effects and rounded borders (plus some other changes). It gives you an idea, obviously it's not intended as a final and I think especially the menu could still look better :P

Also I replaced the background with a lighter version. If you're going for a separate, fixed width 'inside box', why not get some contrast so it stands out a little?

Posted Image

That is much, much better. Background images are even older than web 2.0. They slow down load speed on websites and clutter everything up. Your example looks fantastic.The only thing it doesn't fix is the orange/white text.

I should also note, as another suggestion, please do not used a fixed pixel width. Use a fixed percentage width to make things work. The site looks horrible on my 1920x1200 resolution and my 1920x1080 resolution monitors. It's way too small and there is far too much empty space on the sides. Fixed pixel widths open up many flaws in the design and can actually require more work for an inferior appearance on multiple monitors.

Edited by spookycandy, 15 August 2011 - 02:08 AM.

moiph

moiph

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just thought I'd chime in with a few things --

Overall definitely an improvement from the old site. I think this is an awesome redesign but there are some improvements that could be made...

• The fixed with was already called out but I'll just re-emphasize, rather than setting a fixed with (which has its uses), I'd use a % width here so I can actually see more on the screen when reading through news or file descriptions etc..\\
  • Props for using the imagemap for the images to improve load times but it could certainly be optimized better. For example, the header background at the top -- that should really just be 1px wide and repeated in css. Or the tesnexus logo with the opacity change...again you can do that in css, just have the original in the image. There's a lot of repeated images of the diagonal line background...somehow I don't think they're all necessary... :)
  • White on orange can be hard to read... in some spots it's okay and others (i.e. "Welcome:") are hard to read.
  • If you're going to use a background on the drop down menus, at least preload the image. Right now if you hit the site on a fresh cache and hover over the menu links, you see the links show up seemingly free-floating on the page for a second before the background pops in. Throw that in the imagestrip?
  • News filter...do I haaave to hit apply? Make that spiffier! Take action when I click a checkbox!
  • News pages...boo page reloads. If I click page 2, load up the next batch of news, don't send me to a full new page :(
  • The background image below news posts...I get it's trying to close the post and match the little header image, but it feels out of place. I'd suggest removing it or figure out text to put there to make it fill more and feel complete.

Again I will add all-in-all I'd say definite improvement over the last site, so kudos on the work well done. Just make some fixes ;)

Edited by moiph, 15 August 2011 - 03:37 AM.

vernvern

vernvern

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
Please consider adding some file management features to the tracking center/management screen. Having to remove files one at a time is incredibly tedious. Adding the ability to endorse or de-endorse files from the same screen would help with more regular feedback, especially for smaller mods where people don't always have other reasons to visit the mod page after downloading.

optical1967

optical1967

Faithful poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Nexus mods new design to the website love it or hate it.. I have noticed a massive drop in community interest + endorsements  .Some aspects are good but the general interface is EERR Awful !

PS Dreading the !2th

Edited by optical1967, 08 February 2018 - 02:16 AM.

Page loaded in: 0.710 seconds