New Settlement Boundaries

Sorry for misunderstanding you. There is no automatic way to set those. Not even the devs had an automatic process(90% sure) because might have noticed that the vanilla boundaries actually don't match up all the time. The farthest east border of Finch farm, up on the overpass extends beyond the border model as does a few others. There's also a few vanilla buildable areas that are slightly leaning one way or another like the one in Fens Raider Camp buildable area(Hangman's alley)

They're IT, they'll do it the laziest possible way.

You're not real IT if you haven't spent more time trying to make something easier than you ever would have spent doing that task normally :P.

Go into the CK, place placeholder items on the corners

Select said things, click F2 and export them as a a .fbx.

Open them in 3ds max, import the boundaries and set them up.

Export them.

See if that doesn't work.

• 4 years later...

Okay I know I am just over 4 years late with this post but here goes, as 3DS Max is no longer available to us common modders (I have tried to buy it but the site says 3DS Max is no longer available for download) is there a way to make workshop borders with any other software such as Blender, or does anyone know of a site where I can get hold of 3DS Max, this is really thwarting us up and coming modders from bettering this game as we can only edit the ones available. If anyone can help please do?

Easiest way: create your settlement so it fits into an existing border :smile:
You can resize the border in CK if it is too big or too small.

Next level: import an existing border into nifscope an edit the coordinates of the triangles manually.

Pro level: read and watch hours of tutorials, create your border in blender (or similar) and convert it into a nif.

Okay I know I am just over 4 years late with this post but here goes, as 3DS Max is no longer available to us common modders (I have tried to buy it but the site says 3DS Max is no longer available for download) is there a way to make workshop borders with any other software such as Blender, or does anyone know of a site where I can get hold of 3DS Max, this is really thwarting us up and coming modders from bettering this game as we can only edit the ones available. If anyone can help please do?

Hello Biddu,

Meshes created in Blender can be used easily in this context, because you don't need to assign any physics or havok related stuff for this. Export the mesh from Blender as .obj, then use Outfit Studio to convert it into .nif (uncheck "sub index" and "skinned" in the property). Then you can copy and paste the trishape into an existing workshop border .nif to create the new one.

I didn't know about the .fbx exporting directly from CK render window Matth85 mentioned. The .fbx created in CK this way seems to come up just fine in Blender, just tested it. This could be very useful. :thumbsup: