w/ 1.5, bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 / sResourceDataDirsFinal= causing CTD

ThelebKaarna

In a nutshell, all mods are working EXCEPT Texture Replacers.

With this latest patch (1.5), I had to reactivate my mods (re-tick) in NMM (latest - v0.61.20). Launching via NMM (and with the FO4 Launcher), my game CTD'd right away.

1. Executed "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" in Steam.

2. Trashed all .ini files (made a backup of all 3 of them first).

3. Started game through "Fallout 4 Launcher", resetting all options/preferences. Loaded latest save... successfully, no CTD!. Quit out of game.

4. Launched game through NMM. All mods working, EXCEPT texture replacers.

5. When I go into "Fallout4Custom" .ini and paste-in:

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

(which all re-texture mods require as far as I know)

... the game crashes... just when I think it's going to load.

I also tried installing F4SE... didn't help.

Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

edit: also have a bethesda.net account set-up (from day-one) and under "Mods", all my plug-ins/load-order appear to be fine.

Been posting about this all over the place tonight, trying to find answers, too. I finally got mods that ~do~ something (lower weapon on button press, raise settlement budget to infinity, jetpack with currently-invisible backpack).... but all my custom textures and meshes are not showing. And I have no idea how to MAKE them. Most of the texture mods don't show up in the in-game MODS menu at all, and even if they did, when I try to disable/enable or move mods around it says it is going to now load my mods..... and instead crashes. :P

I also crash when I mouse over a modded weapon in my inventory but I know why that is ---- the weapon is invisible and has no mesh/texture/icon and the game crashes because of that. And of course my skin is purple and my altered outfits are no longer altered but quite vanilla and my landscapes --- ye gods, I'd forgotten how bland and boring and brown the game was!

Having this same issue. Was getting a CTD with those lines in my Fallout4Custom.ini. So I deleted the ini file and the game stopped crashing...but that also means all the custom weapons I was using are no longer usable.

Hopefully a fix is found soon.

I saw where someone posted on reddit a fix to this issue (for them anyways) by deleting the "interface" folder from the game directories "Data" folder (making a copy/back-up first of course). Trying this, I was able to successfully launch the game with the bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 -and- sResourceDataDirsFinal= lines present in the "Fallout4Custom" folder... BUT.... my custom meshes/textures aren't showing-up. I tried just deleting certain lines from "interface" with mixed results. Will continue to experiment. Still, wanted to get this info out there... maybe a starting point for a solution for someone smarter than me to discover.

I occasionally CTD'd even though the game was working fine 10 seconds earlier. I open up the Config Tool and change nothing, just save, and then my game suddenly works again. This stopped for me after I changed Virtual Install folders.

Some of you say mod files aren't loading from the Data folder and cause a CTD except assumingly exe/esm/esp filetypes. Do you have NMM installed on a different harddrive then the where the games installation is? If so keep reading otherwise the following probably won't help you.

NMM has been updated recently to install your mods into the VirtualMods folder within the mod managers installation. For me this was D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Fallout4\Mods\Virtualinstall. Then it places symbolic links to the mod file locations inside your Fallout 4 data folder, which I had moved to my SSD located at C:\Games\Fallout 4. If the game and mods are on different drives it will not be able to load them, you'll get blank 0kb files IE: Missing meshes, textures, sounds etc.

Open NMM and select tools, change virtual folders and enable multi-hd install mode. Alternatively use the tool to move the Virtual Install folder path to be on the same harddrive as your fallout 4 installation. (WARNING: This reinstalls all your mods so if you personalised any .esp files after NMM installed them: BACK THEM UP!) That's what I did since I wanted my mods to load from an SSD not a HDD. Certain files such as .exe, .esm and .esp cannot be symlinked and need to physically be located within the data folder that's why you've been able to load those.

Edited by Niss

I saw where someone posted on reddit a fix to this issue (for them anyways) by deleting the "interface" folder from the game directories "Data" folder (making a copy/back-up first of course). Trying this, I was able to successfully launch the game with the bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 -and- sResourceDataDirsFinal= lines present in the "Fallout4Custom" folder... BUT.... my custom meshes/textures aren't showing-up. I tried just deleting certain lines from "interface" with mixed results. Will continue to experiment. Still, wanted to get this info out there... maybe a starting point for a solution for someone smarter than me to discover.

You sir just saved my game. I couldn't even get a vanilla game to run until I removed the interface folder. kudos to you

Apparently the "interface" folder is where loose files for UI mods are stored. So deleting it is effectively like uninstalling/removing UI (and HUD) mods (which are causing problems). If you're running DEF_UI, there's already a 1.5 compatibility patch up on it's Nexus mod page.

So I'm interested to see if disabling & removing all UI mods (I read somewhere disabling is not enough, you have remove them from your system), then launching the game with the bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 -and- sResourceDataDirsFinal= lines present in the "Fallout4Custom" folder will cause a CTD or not. First thing I'll try this evening...

SUCCESS!! In my case the mod "My HUD" was the lone culprit (I've posted a comment on that mod's Nexus page). I restored everything back to the way it was, all original .ini files, etc. Only difference was I deactivated AND uninstalled "My HUD". Aside from the absence of My HUD, my game's 100% back to normal, including all meshes and textures. Hopefully I'm out-of-the-woods, and am hopeful for everyone else as well. If I hear of any other fixes that work for others, I'll post them back here. Good luck Friends!