Invisible Models & Textures

SOSOASPM

Invisible items usually means missing/misplaced meshes files.

Messed up textures usually means missing/misplaced textures or maybe wrong texture file path written in mods meshes nif file.

Installing the mod files correctly will fix this issues.

Thing is, I'm having the same issue --- some costumes make my body invisible, others give me the purple skin effect --- but I have installed the costumes exactly as I always have through NMM (most current version 0.61.20). In a similar vein, I have a settlement menu option for Better Stores and OCDecorator, but all their options are ~invisible~. I can place them (ka-CHOONK!) but they are invisible and intangible and obviously cannot be interacted with.

Somehow, Fallout 4 is not properly loading meshes and textures from mods. The mods FUNCTION just fine... it's just the meshes and textures aren't being loaded properly. And for the life of me I cannot figure out why. It's vexing. I even just now spent two hours re-installing Fallout 4 after deleting all the local content. Then one by one I re-installed my mods. A possible clue to the problem may be that when I moved one mod in the Load Order using the in-game Mods page, the game said they would re-install my mods... but the game crashed instead. I have heard that you "just" have to activate the mods in the MODS page and let the game load them that way and it'll be fine.... but if the game crashes when it tries to do that... /shrug

Update must have made changes to the way it handles mods. It is a fault with NMM because if you do a manual install the mods will work, but going through NMM will not install textures. I picked up on this when installing some mods and non of them asked me to overwrite any files. Just have to wait for NMM to be fixed or do manual installs.

Well, I got my game back and it's annoyingly simple HOW.

As many have noted, patching (or removing) the mod DEF_UI, I think it's called, fixed the problem of crashing with the bInvalidateOlderFiles flag in the Fallout4Custom.ini file. With the following change to the Fallout4Custom.ini:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

All my meshes and textures appear like they should. The reason I removed those lines was because "they" were causing me to crash. But it wasn't them, it was ~something~ in my INTERFACE folder. I still do not know what orphaned files caused the crash, but when I deleted the INTERFACE folder entirely, and restored the Fallout4Custom.ini file back to what it was pre-1.5 patch..... everything worked.

I tried deleting the INTERFACE folder before, but I was still crashing, but that could have been caused by anything. So this may not be a cure-all, but if you have ~any~ INTERFACE folder with files in it, remove any mods you think may have put stuff there (like a scope mod or the full dialog mod) and delete the folder. You can later install mods that alter the UI (if they are properly patched to 1.5, apparently) but clearing out the "orphaned" files that cause you to be unable to use the InvalidateOlderFiles change to the INI might fix your problems.

Sorry if this is rambling and long-winded --- this is my seventh hour tinkering with the game just to get things to work like they worked pre-patch. :P

As many have noted, patching (or removing) the mod DEF_UI, I think it's called, fixed the problem of crashing with the bInvalidateOlderFiles flag in the Fallout4Custom.ini file. With the following change to the Fallout4Custom.ini:

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

All my meshes and textures appear like they should. The reason I removed those lines was because "they" were causing me to crash. But it wasn't them, it was ~something~ in my INTERFACE folder. I still do not know what orphaned files caused the crash, but when I deleted the INTERFACE folder entirely, and restored the Fallout4Custom.ini file back to what it was pre-1.5 patch..... everything worked.

I tried deleting the INTERFACE folder before, but I was still crashing, but that could have been caused by anything. So this may not be a cure-all, but if you have ~any~ INTERFACE folder with files in it, remove any mods you think may have put stuff there (like a scope mod or the full dialog mod) and delete the folder. You can later install mods that alter the UI (if they are properly patched to 1.5, apparently) but clearing out the "orphaned" files that cause you to be unable to use the InvalidateOlderFiles change to the INI might fix your problems.

Sorry if this is rambling and long-winded --- this is my seventh hour tinkering with the game just to get things to work like they worked pre-patch. :tongue:

i had the same problem with nexus install in game i did't have any meshes turn out that the nexus mod manager doesn't instal meshes and textures, i had to drag and drop every textures and meshes manually and then i worked like anc charme. .. dd productions and aremorsmith etc, but i stil have problem with def ui and validi item sorting... and mi interface folder is completly emty after installing with nexus so i have to do it man,ualy but for this one i have no clue what to put inside because i use the fomod and there is a lot of options

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

Sorry if this is rambling and long-winded --- this is my seventh hour tinkering with the game just to get things to work like they worked pre-patch. :tongue:

i had the same problem with nexus install in game i did't have any meshes turn out that the nexus mod manager doesn't instal meshes and textures, i had to drag and drop every textures and meshes manually and then i worked like anc charme. .. dd productions and aremorsmith etc, but i stil have problem with def ui and validi item sorting... and mi interface folder is completly emty after installing with nexus so i have to do it man,ualy but for this one i have no clue what to put inside because i use the fomod and there is a lot of options

Is nexus mod manager in the same same drive as your fallout 4 install? Also I had the same problem last night. I deleted everything related to NMM and Fallout 4 and reinstalled both and I no longer had this issue. I was running up to date NMM and Fallout and this fixed textures and meshes not installing.

I also moved my NMM to the same drive as my fallout 4 install. So it was either the reinstall of both or it was putting them both on the same drive.

hum your might be right my nexus mod manager is in my driver c and all my games like fallout are in my driver E, but i notice something strange, i moded witcher 3 to with nexus and i my driver c in games i have a file nexus mod manager and inside a witcher 3 file... and in my dirver c i have nexus mod manager with 2 files witcher 3 and fallout 4 ..

i will tryie moving nexus mod to fallout and delete the other nexus in my c driver

hum your might be right my nexus mod manager is in my driver c and all my games like fallout are in my driver E, but i notice something strange, i moded witcher 3 to with nexus and i my driver c in games i have a file nexus mod manager and inside a witcher 3 file... and in my dirver c i have nexus mod manager with 2 files witcher 3 and fallout 4 ..

i will tryie moving nexus mod to fallout and delete the other nexus in my c driver

Please let me know. I read on the true storms mod page that he said NMM can get a little crazy when the mods are stored on one drive and installed on another, but deleting all the files and starting from scratch may have done it. I will say that I have 5 or so hours into the new setup and see all my mods working.

Wait, so the invisible textures can be fixed by manually installing them? It's not a mod issue, but a problem with NMM?

EDIT: Yep, I checked the Fallout 4/Data folder, and sure enough, the textures folder has all the subfolders, but no files. Apparently meshes didn't install, either. So I'm manually installing these and seeing if it works.

Edited by GuyInDogSuit