Rebuilding the wasteland (Institute good guys massive mod)

cballam

so now that I've got this idea and ran with it I made a post for requests because i dunno if this is the right place for it sorry honestly I have had too much caffeine and oh god thoughts won't stop
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4110840-i-accidentally-a-whole-new-storyline-for-all-kinds-of-crazy-good/

capitalists, communists, fascists
institute, underground, BoS
anything goes~
you're all cray cray, stick with the minutemen, kurdish democratic federalism is best
okay actually I kid, I wouldn't mind seeing an expansion of ALL of their positions and increased nuance

I mean it, like actually listen, all of this incorporated, explored would make the story so much more solid

btw automatron is about the drone strike program hitting random weddings and murdering tons of innocents because of metadata usage, there's a real "metal sky demon" element to it which, while sad, I find very interesting too, think about it, tribals are a HUGE factor in FO1-2-3, why not in fallout 4 as well? remember afghanistan is made of tribes :geek:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/01/drones-are-appearing-on-afghan-rugs/385025/

I mean, here, let's play some really weird ideas out
what if "father" knew that kellogg was like the BoS in his attitudes sorta, and kept him in check or used him to keep other fellows like the BoS in check in the region, what if the institute could destroy the underground railroad but chose not to because they were aware of their own failings to an extent but unsure of how exactly to take the next move, what if the underground was struggling and killing as much as they save only because they were so pinned down and in order to keep the flame alive they had to make some rather bad choices (donner party cannibalism style)? what if the brotherhood of steel were aware of the fallout tactics "non-canon" stuff involving the LUDICROUS dangers of technology run amok in earnest (it's a mod you're making, you can include further elements of the ideas) - and remember that FO:tactics dangers of technology do involve human minds in charge of the situation

what if the brotherhood's faction that's around was merely the most militant, and there are other more traditional brotherhood of steel members in the region somehow
I read up on caesar in NV (never played the game) his backstory, where he comes from, that was also a group that was not villainous in fallout 1, neither was the BoS
think about it, what happened? how did those two groups become... so... what we see now

what if the synths genuinely are dangerous to an extent, what if raider factions were creeping in on more civilized territories making life worse and worse in reality, as a new way of life
what if the legions splintered but that was the origins of the raider creep that leads into more and more dire consequences, making the fallout NV protagonist the cause of the commonwealth's misery
this seems like automatron's element, but no, automatron's is much more simplistic in an earnest sense, this situation is more nuanced and complicated, maybe the synths were part of a "D-Day attempt" deployed properly but damaged and then gone haywire due to combat, due to design flaws for early generation synths because of an attempt that if not for this factor, would've SUCCESSFULLY wiped out the raiders' power base and then the army of synths could be recalled and done away with, while successive synth generations were purposefully being built with an intent on creating AI as they are, but the disaster led to a different line of reasoning and thinking within the institute that mutated into what we see today the de facto slave society because they saw a necessity for control over their creations, that first emerged as fear and regret, but then became institution-alized over generations as they forgot what the actual events were like and about :wink:

this would, even allow tie-ins to automatron probably, making for a more compelling storyline for those with the automatron DLC, but you could make a lite version for those without as well
I WANT THIS GOD DAMN AMAZING STORYLINE THAT I HAVEN'T OUTLINED BUT HAVE HOPEFULLY GIVEN IDEAS FOR

I suspect some sort of tribal section for the raiders would be interesting as well, maybe they're completely foreign to the whole thing in a sense, they're just like "wtf is this whole mess we just want to live our own way but they keep invading our lands" kind of thing, while at the same time they live sucky lives and tend to be unreasonably more aggressive than the other groups even amongst each other

while the super mutants could have their own thing going on, maybe a BoS/super mutant veterans of the original wars, gone tired kind of thing, like with marcus and his friend in FO2 (a faction unto itself as well)

so that you have
the institute, the minutemen, the tribals, the BoS, the underground, the raiders, the super mutants, the sorry veterans
you could even have diamond city turn from just biggest city into something with manipulative intentions on creating its own empire by playing various sides, damn whoever's the mayor, diamond city reigns supreme!
I'd imagine the sorry veterans could be a subset of the minutemen probably to flesh the minutemen out, whereas the tribals and minutemen could have serious beef and the raiders could be a little more "good guys" in a really sick and twisted way because they're more tolerant of the tribals than the minutemen are, while still being... raiders... :tongue:

this way you go from 3 mega factions to 6
tribals and raiders that you kind of get a "less bad than usual" resolution that can negotiate with other factions (but them being so independent guarantees a bunch will never accept you)
minutemen with a sorry veterans (old BoS and supermutants tired of fighting each other but still are colossal jerks to anything "different" as per how they naturally are) sideboost to their lines through quests
the BoS - slightly better reasons than before
he institute - slightly better reasons than before

the underground - kind of 'as-is' but a little more desperate for real, probably find ways to make them avoid catastrophe and reach out to other groups with the new 6 mega-faction system, maybe the ways they reach out are dishonest and cruel a bit more to villainize them a bit

diamond city -a city-state with an uneasy alliance with super mutants(the only nonplayable faction but you do negotiations with them as diamond city's lackeys like zorg and those whatchamacallits from 5th element on the sly, to take down the rest with them then backstab said supermutants because they're stupid
and now you can actually have factions pissed off that you can't be around or with, for real, without ruining the game

Edited by tartarsauce2

I mean, here, let's play some really weird ideas out...

...what if the brotherhood of steel were aware of the fallout tactics "non-canon" stuff involving the LUDICROUS dangers of technology run amok in earnest (it's a mod you're making, you can include further elements of the ideas) - and remember that FO:tactics dangers of technology do involve human minds in charge of the situation

Wow, wow, wow... wow...

I'm going to have to start you right there before reading anything else.

Why would you ever think that the Calculator is not canon? Bethesda came out and said that the major plot points of Fallout Tactics are canon, and the only reason Fallout Tactics is considered 'semi-canon' is because the game broke lore with things like talking deathclaw tribes, too many weapons and vehicles from the real world, and several aspects that just broke the art style of the Fallout universe.

Also, the Calculator isn't exactly human minds in charge, but a hybrid of computer processors and human brains. Too many of them become damaged and as a result you get Fallout Tactics.

But the technology has not run amok, it is doing exactly what it was designed to do, destroy the mutants so that the vault-dwelers are safe to return to the surface. However, the greedy CEOs of vault-tech cut their spending by billions and ended up not giving Vault 0 a backup computer system. As a result, the plan was never launched.

Over 100 years later the Calculator is finally woke up and starts to carry out the original mission, far too late, and now the land if full of threats that the Calculator is forced to destroy.

Wow, wow, wow... wow...

I'm going to have to start you right there before reading anything else.

Why would you ever think that the Calculator is not canon? Bethesda came out and said that the major plot points of Fallout Tactics are canon, and the only reason Fallout Tactics is considered 'semi-canon' is because the game broke lore with things like talking deathclaw tribes, too many weapons and vehicles from the real world, and several aspects that just broke the art style of the Fallout universe.

Also, the Calculator isn't exactly human minds in charge, but a hybrid of computer processors and human brains. Too many of them become damaged and as a result you get Fallout Tactics.

But the technology has not run amok, it is doing exactly what it was designed to do, destroy the mutants so that the vault-dwelers are safe to return to the surface. However, the greedy CEOs of vault-tech cut their spending by billions and ended up not giving Vault 0 a backup computer system. As a result, the plan was never launched.

Over 100 years later the Calculator is finally woke up and starts to carry out the original mission, far too late, and now the land if full of threats that the Calculator is forced to destroy.

precisely, but FO:tactics isn't canon, but it's not non-canon either, it's a middleground, with slight nods to it, anyways, this would explain why the brotherhood of steel became so adamantly obsessed with not having computer brains running the show, or allowing replicable robots doing their thing

if the timeline fits, have some sort of thing going on involving the institute and the robots in the past, maybe capturing and repurposing some of them, or rather reverse engineering them to aide in its AI/organics research :laugh: which leads us to why the first gen synths are haywire sometimes since blackboxing on slightly defective units isn't the best procedure always

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Goris

Edited by tartarsauce2