Dialogue zooming in way too far.

This is a simple problem that I hope has a similarly simple solution.

The title more-or-less says it all. When talking to a custom NPC I've developed, the dialogue zooms in way too close to their face and makes their head take up the player's entire field of view. All I'm looking to do is bring the zoom back to default levels.

Has anyone else run into this before?

Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case. While I do have a dialogue package on the character, modifying the FOV on it has no effect. To note, the zoom I'm trying to fix occurs in regular dialogue with the character, as opposed to scripted or package-driven dialogue.

Further research turned up someone asking how to disable the NPC zoom when speaking to them. The following were suggested solutions.

Change these settings in "fallout_default.ini" (and your "users" area "FALLOUT.INI" and "FalloutPrefs.ini" files to be sure):

fDialogMinDistance=1200 
 fDialogMaxDistance=2000

These affect the range at which dialogue is initiated by actors. By themselves they did not prevent the zoom effect in FO3, even when both were set to 5000.

Changing the following setting:

fDefault1stPersonFOV=55.0000

to "75" will set the 1st person perspective of all situations, not just conversation, to the default of the dialogue packages.

Adding to the "[interface]" section (because it isn't there in FNV):

fDlgFocus=16.0
"That is the value I used for Oblivion, Fallout3, and NV. The value can be increased, for the maximum distance at which your cursor turns to the talk icon."

"I believe the value works like this, it tells the game how close to zoom in on someone's face. If I recall, the value was something like 2.1 in Oblivion. That means the game should zoom the camera in until the camera is 2.1 feet from someone's face, unless of course you are already closer than that. By changing it to 16, you are telling the game to put the camera no closer than 16 feet from the person's face, unless you are closer than that.

I figured out the 16.0 value by standing as far away from someone as I could in Olbivion and initiating a conversation. I just kept increasing the value until I found that 16.0 seemed to be the max distance I could be from someone to initiate a conversation. By setting its value [to] the same value as the max distance you can initiate the conversation from, you eliminate the zoom in at all possible distances."

A value of "8.1000" was sufficient to stop zooming in FO3, so there is likely to be an interaction among these settings.

Bear in mind that the purpose of the above advice was to disable the zoom effect completely, so adjust for your purposes accordingly. Also, these should be universal in effect unless a particular package overrides them.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

While I appreciate the information and intent to help, that's unfortunately major overkill for the mod I'm working on. I'm not looking to modify every NPC in the game, just the single character I've developed. All I need is for them to be on par with the rest of the game and most of the dialogue issues will be on the "fixed" list.