Hello, I have had this problem for a long time now and have tried a number of things to try and fix the problem but my Oblivion troubleshooting skills are a little low so I would like someone to help me out?

All the information you will need will be on this thread and a video I will upload with information on the matter at hand.

Heres the Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiFXF2kLJOA&feature=youtu.be

Load order

00 oblivion.esm
01 Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.5.4a]
02 UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp [Version 1.0.0]
03 Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
04 DLCShiveringIsles.esp
05 Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.5.8]
06 RAEVWD Cities.esp [Version 1.9]
07 RAEVWD New Sheoth.esp [Version 1.7]
08 RAEVWD Imperial City.esp [Version 1.9]
09 OblivionReloaded.esp
++ OblivionReloadedArenaCombat.esp
0A Dynamic Map.esp [Version 2.1.1]
0B DLCHorseArmor.esp
0C DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.8]
0D DLCOrrery.esp
0E DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.6]
0F DLCVileLair.esp
10 DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.11]
11 DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
12 DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.7]
13 DLCSpellTomes.esp
++ DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.1]
++ Weapon Improvement Project.esp [Version 1.9]
14 DLCThievesDen.esp
15 DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.14]
16 DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp [Version 1.0.13]
17 DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
18 DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.12]
19 DLCFrostcrag.esp
1A DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.10]
1B Knights.esp
1C Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.1.8]
1D Roads of Cyrodiil.esp [Version 1.0]
** Grass Overhaul.esp
1E Skill Perk Descriptions.esp [Version 1.1]
1F Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp
20 Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp [Version 2.0]
** MidasSpells.esp
21 MiniMap.esp
** ROC Standard Road Record.esp
22 Bashed Patch, 0.esp
23 Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul.esp [Version 4.6.3]
Specs:
CPU: I7 4790k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866Mhz CL9
MOBO: ASUS VII HERO
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB (3.5GB + 0.5GB) :wink:
PSU: Corsair AX760I – I know the 750W is a bit too much but It’s the lowest in the AX/I series! XD
SSD: with the OS; Samsung 840 EVO 258GB – in RAID
SSD: for the main games; Samsung 840 pro 128GB
SSD: This is for other games Crucial mx100 258GB
HDD: For mass storage 1TB
CASE: Corsair 750D – Full tower!
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Thanks and I hope you can help me out!

Here is a full discussion with some members about my problem. I did end up getting block :P I think I must of gotten to annoying or something...

Hello, great mod and all. How ever the graphics side doesn't seem to be working?
I think it could be a Windows 10 problem because I have made all changes that have been said and got a load of texture mods working.
Also shade me mods and ENB don't seem to work as well? is this Windows 10?
I use only graphic texture and mesh mods, with this.

Here is my full spec:
CPU: I7 4790k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866Mhz CL9
MOBO: ASUS VII HERO
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB (3.5GB + 0.5GB)
PSU: Corsair AX760I – I know the 750W is a bit too much but It’s the lowest in the AX/I series! XD
SSD: with the OS; Samsung 840 EVO 258GB – in RAID
SSD: for the main games; Samsung 840 pro 128GB
SSD: This is for other games Crucial mx100 258GB
HDD: For mass storage 1TB
CASE: Corsair 750D – Full tower!
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

I will upload a video to my channel is you wish?

Thanks and I hope someone gets back to me soon.
posted @ 15:50, 6 May 2016 Reply

forli 46 kudos2053 posts
If ShadeMe and ENB don't work as well, you've not installed them correctly or you're not running OBSE.
You should have the OR dll in Data/OBSE/Plugins (and all other files, shaders, etc in the correct folders). Follow the installation instructions.

Important: don't use NMM or Mod Organizer, as they can't install dll OBSE plugins (ShadeMe, ENB and OR).

@Alenet: I suggest you explicitly state in the description "NMM and Mod Organizer can't install OR".
report posted @ 17:25, 6 May 2016 Reply

matthewbriggs97 0 kudos102 posts
Hello, thanks for the really fast replay!
I have all install correctly and just found out ENboost doesn't work as well... By this is mean it shows up at the start but when i try and lock the frames using it, it doesn't work?
I have installed the mod correctly and have used NMM for your mod. The script extender is do as it should be as well...

Thanks

I think it could be something to do with the Dx9 file?
report posted @ 18:12, 6 May 2016 Reply

forli 46 kudos2053 posts
I have installed the mod correctly and have used NMM for your mod.

When I read these 2 statements I feel bad. This is what they mean:
I have installed the mod correctly and I haven't installed the mod correctly.

In other words... these two statements have opposite meaning, and (logically speaking) they can't be both true at the same time!
As I already said: don't use NMM or Mod Organizer, as they can't install dll OBSE plugins (ShadeMe, ENB and OR).

PS: this is not my mod. I only received from Alenet (the author) the powers to administrate the comments section.
report posted @ 18:40, 6 May 2016 Reply

Hello,
Where does it say that NMM wouldn't work?
It works fine when installing this mod with Nexus Mod Manager on other computer with an older OS?
Also I believe it to be the Dx9.Dll file as Windows 10 does not support Dx9 C.
Also it has install it corretly... The .DLL files and everything is where it should be!
Thanks
report posted @ 20:45, 6 May 2016 Reply

forli 46 kudos2053 posts
Ok, let's make it clear: the OS has nothing to do with this.
Oblivion, all mods, all plugins, all mod managers and all tools works perfectly fine in any OS from Windows XP to Windows 10 (let's skip Vista as it's the biggest failure in the entire computer history). Maybe it's the opposite: some tools/mod manager may drop the support for older OS, and Oblivion runs better on Windows 7 (and newer) than Windows XP, and runs better on Windows 10 than on Windows 8/8.1.

Back to the problem: it's not a problem specific to NMM and OR, but a general problem with the way NMM (and Mod Organizer) install the mods. They use hard links to place the files in the Data folder (in the Data/OBSE/Plugins folder you see the dll as a normal file, but it's an hard link, which is something similar to the normal link you can do with right click on a file).

Well, Oblivion can read the hard links, but OBSE can't, so it can't read and inject the dll files in Data/OBSE/Plugins. Since NMM and MO only works with hard link and don't offer an alterate way, any dll they install won't be read by OBSE.

The fact those mod managers are not specified as incompatible: I agree it wouldn't hurt to declare this issue in the installation instructions, but on the other hand (as I said) it's not a specific incompatibility between NMM/Mod Organizer and OR, but a general problem with those mod managers and any dll file, so something which should be stated in their readme.

Last point: DX9? Windows 10 has not been optimized for DX9, applications, but it doesn't mean it's incompatible with them or with DX9 itself.
Here's the DX9 version you need
report posted @ 21:29, 6 May 2016 Reply

Okay, I want to make this clear for you as you don't understand how Operating systems work:

When a new Operating system is made they don't just tweak and optimize their files, they will remake the way it operates the software to hardware features. This means how it interacts with the Hardware. The software that acts like a bridge for the software to interact with the hardware would be Direct X.

As for the new Windows 10 it has new version of Directx supported and optimized. However they have no longer let the operating system understand how the every old Directx 9 C works. These downloads/installers will try and update or install the Directx they offer but will mostly fail. They is ways around by moving and editing sources code of the Windows files but it's not worth the chance of corruption.
So the programs/application that use lower version of Directx will struggle to run as they were meant.

This is why you see some programs run better than other when updating and downgrading from other OS’s. (Because as we just learnt how they access the hardware as well has optimized systems).

Also are you trying to bring up the case of Symlinks VS Junction Points VS Hard Links as if so any software should able to be read the directs as they would a normal file. Unless they was coded in 1984.

Also Windows 10 has Directx 9 but the newer version of Directx 9 not the directx C version what was one of the first made!

Thanks for your reply and I hope to hear from you soon.
report posted @ 23:10, 6 May 2016 Reply

forli 46 kudos2053 posts
What I was trying to say, is that Windows 10 didn't break anything in the Oblivion "universe" as everything still works after all these OS.

About OBSE, believe me or not, OBSE is not able to read dll installed that way.
It's proved by many users who tried to install this plugin (and other plugins) with NMM or Mod Organizer, which install the files outside the Data folder and put hard links in the Data folder. The result: OBSE doesn't read the dll.
Then they switched to manual installation or used OBMM/Wrye Bash... and everything worked as expected.
We can argue here for centuries about how this shouldn't happens... but it happens.
I'm not the right person to ask "why" it happens, as I don't fully understand the OBSE source code (due to my not yet advanced knowledge of C++) to find out what's going on, if OBSE do anything strange with hard links or if the OBSE team used a DeLorean to go back to 1984 to code OBSE or if Windows is dumb (this last statement may be not completely false...).

About DX9: I have Windows 10 pro x64. I know more or less how operating systems works (I'm still a beginner programmer and I don't know the details), and probably you know much more than me, still... I installed DX9 on Windows 10 from that link and play Oblivion with Oblivion Reloaded without issues, so I'm not sure what kind of problem you're encountering with DX9, as everything was fine for me.

Alenet created this mod and he really did a miracle with reverse engineering and he know DX9 more than his pockets, so if he says you need DX9 june 2010, I believe him. If you want to discuss more about DX9 and Windows 10, drop a message to him.
report posted @ 1:11, 7 May 2016 Reply

supporter
Pherim 38 kudos914 posts
Actually, hard links or symbolic links work, and as far as I know there is no reason why they shouldn't because OS-wise, there is no difference between those and the actual files. I know that for a fact, because I use MO and have installed OBSE plugins with it, which I then manually hard-linked with the Data folder.

Also, there is a huge difference in how NMM an MO work. NMM places actual hard/symbolic links in the Data folder whereas MO uses "a "virtual" data directory that is a merger of the actual data directory and all the mod directories." (MO description page) But it places no files in the actual one.

Anyway, that does NOT mean that OR necessarily works with NMM, though theoretically I don't see why not. But I haven't been using it any more pretty much exactly since they began using the hard/symbolic links so I cannot vouch for it.

But as I said, installing with MO and manually place hard/symbolic links in the Data folder definitely works.
report posted @ 6:08, 7 May 2016 Reply

forli 46 kudos2053 posts
Well, then there's something strange: tons of users reported on this thread and in other thread in the nexus/bethesda forums they weren't able to run this plugin (or other dll plugins) when they used NMM and MO.
Alenet always suggested to use Wrye Bash to install it, and those plugins were working after that.

I believe you when you say hard links works, but then something else is preventing OBSE to run those dll when they are installed by NMM. Some users reported this issue even with MO, but you said you succeeded in installing OBSE dll with MO. These mixed reports make me think there's some kind of procedure to follow or setting to enable which allow that (and those users don't know about it).
I can't personally report any issue as I don't use neither of them (NMM is a too basic mod manager, as it lack many essential features; about Mod Organizer, I can't simply try it in an already fully modded installation. Also, generally speaking, I don't use profiling, and I don't know if there's any other benefit in the "hard link" installation way, so for now I stick with manual/WB way).

As for matthewbriggs97's case, he's getting issues with OR, ENB and ShadeMe. If he said all files are in the right folders, but he still can't run them, then I don't know what else it could be. I only know nobody (talking about the Oblivion community) has ever reported problems with an OBSE's dll on Windows 10 (I use tons of OBSE dll and all them works).
My suggestion: give the manual installation/Wrye Bash a try (Wrye Bash do like the manual installation, as it directly place files in the Data folder), and report what happens with them (also, they are the only installation ways mentioned in the instructions)
report posted @ 9:37, 7 May 2016 Reply

supporter
Pherim 38 kudos914 posts
As I wrote, MO only works when I manually create hard/symbolic links to the Data folder, because, as you said, obse plugins do not work when installed with MO. Then, you also need to set MO load mechanism to "Script Extender" (in the workarounds tab in settings), and the game has to be started as it normally would (via obse_loader or just Steam), not through MO. Still, all obse plugins need to be installed in the actual Data folder (or hard/symlinked).

Anyway, I agree with you that Wrye Bash is the best option. I even had to use it to get some mods installed correctly, because MO could not do it. MO is just too much hassle with Oblivion, and I would not use it again to set up an Oblivion installation, but since I already have done it, I keep it that way. I don't recommend it, though.
report posted @ 10:06, 7 May 2016 Reply

Thanks for all the replies and the support, so would you say I should reinstall the .DLL files manually, to see if Nexus MM is the problem???
By This I mean downloading the mod unzipping it and finding the .DDL files and copy and pasting them to where they should be and replace them with the other ones?

Thanks I appreciate the attention other mods don't have this much support!
report posted @ 11:58, 7 May 2016 Reply

Okay, on my quest of problem shooting I have tired a few things, installed that file you said.
I have also removed the .DLL files and placed some fresh ones in manually.
There is no change.
I wonder if I should run the game as admin? or compatible mode?
Thanks
report posted @ 12:39, 7 May 2016 Reply

forli 46 kudos2053 posts
Ok, so let's list the points:
- OBSE -> correctly installed
- MenuQue -> correctly installed
- Oblivion Reloaded -> correctly installed

Do you have other OBSE mods and they run correctly?
(Ignore if using Steam) Are you actually running OBSE or you just installed it and keep playing with the Oblivion.exe / OblivionLauncher.exe?
report posted @ 12:47, 7 May 2016 Reply

supporter
Pherim 38 kudos914 posts
Compatible mode should not be necessary. But where have you installed the game? C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86) are considered problematic for games, as the User Account Control (UAC) can interfer with them, especially when modding and using additional tools (like ENB).

Also, you should install the DirectX9-Version forli linked to, just to be sure. It is needed to make many older games work correctly, and it doesn't conflict with newer versions.
report posted @ 12:49, 7 May 2016 Reply

Hello, yes I have installed them properly, I am using the steam boot script extender so I use the game normal with out using another .EXE file.
Also I have been playing around with the effects enabler .INI files to see what I could get to work and I have the DOF working, as well as Sharpening but the colour and other affects seem to make very little difference if any at all.

Also I thought I better add. I am getting some insane Z fighting with my water only from far affects?

And yes I installed the file you have linked thanks.

Installed:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\...

Thanks
report posted @ 13:17, 7 May 2016 Reply

forli 46 kudos2053 posts
Ok, as suggested don't install Oblivion in the Program Files folder, else some tools will not work. I've installed it directly in C: (so I have C:\Bethesda Softworks\...).
For this installation, you could right click -> property on your "Bethesda Softworks" folder and try to manipulate the security settings to allow free access to that folder to anyone.

Then, in game, open the console (with ~ or \, depending on your keyboard) and type these 2 commands (press enter after each one):
GetOBSEVersion
ORGetLocationName

The first command can be used to test if OBSE is running. If it prints any error (something like "Unknown command" ), then OBSE is not running. Instead, if OBSE is running, the command will be accepted and will print nothing (because it doesn't have any console output).

The second command can be used to test if OR is running: as above, it will print an error if not running, else it will print the name of your current location.
report posted @ 13:32, 7 May 2016 Reply

Hello, how would I allow access to the common folder for the Oblivion files? would I go through all the users and click on full control?

Thanks for the awesome reply!
report posted @ 13:41, 7 May 2016 Reply

supporter
Pherim 38 kudos914 posts
So, you could either try running it as admin, disable UAC (not recommended) or move it to another directory. Steam allows the creation of additional libraries, so you could create one in C:\games or a similar folder, and reinstall it there. There are ways to move the entire game to another library so it doesn't have to be redownloaded (see here for example: https://www.worstpractices.net/steam-tutorial-how-to-move-games-to-another-hard-drive-by-using-libraries/), but it might be problematic with modded games like Oblivion. You could try backing up your entire installation, delete the game from Steam, re-install the vanilla version and then copy your modded folder over it. I cannot guarantee you that it will work without issues, though. Still, you should consider to no longer install games in C:\Program Files(x86) in the future, especially if you intend to mod them.

edit: Or what forli suggests. Sounds also good. If you open the properties for the "steamapps" folder or the "Oblivion" folder in it (you don't have a "Bethesda Softworks folder with the Steam version), go to "Security" and you'll see who has access to it. Normally, only Administrators and SYSTEM have full access rights, so you need to click "edit" and add "Authenticated Users" if I am not mistaken and give them full control rights. Best compare to other folders outside C:\Program Files and change the settings accordingly. And make sure they are adopted by all files and subfolders of the folder.
report posted @ 13:41, 7 May 2016 Reply

Hello here is some more updates.
I have tried both the commands in game:
GetOBSEVersion - Nothing came up at all. no response or anything...
ORGetLocationName - said where I was and some numbers to represent that.

Also when trying to add the security it says that users have full control or ready.

Thanks
report posted @ 13:55, 7 May 2016 Reply

supporter
Alenet 113 kudos2286 posts
@matthewbriggs97: move the conversation to an other thread. This is not the place to speak about "everything".
I see you are not able to manage the mods installation, so ask in the forum, not here.
This is the thread only about OR.
report posted @ 14:00, 7 May 2016 Reply

... I that's what I need support on. I want my GodRays!
And I have installed the mod fine...

report posted @ 14:04, 7 May 2016 Reply

supporter
If OBSE is correctly installed, you should be able to get the OBSE version and the locations.
I dont like to repeat the things: move the conversation on an other thread.

Thanks.
report posted @ 14:27, 7 May 2016 Reply

Hello, I have installed OBSE correctly as when you use the command “GetOBSEVersion” and get “GetOBSEVersion” as I did it works, so by the looks of it you don't know yourself how OBSE works?! Also just another way to test is if I can use “SetRefEssential 1”, on any NPC and it works.
Also I hate to repeat myself! So if you would. Please help someone who is trying to work out how to troubleshoot this mod… Stop been so ignorant and read what I say and understand what you should know…

Thanks.
PS Still trying to get my GodRays no luck...
report posted @ 14:41, 7 May 2016 Reply

forli 46 kudos2053 posts
Just a question: have you configured the mod? Have you enabled the effects?
If that's the case, the manual will answer your questions. We won't answer questions already covered in the manual, else this thread would become even more chaotic.
report posted @ 14:55, 7 May 2016 Reply

supporter
matthewbriggs97 blocked.

Edited by Matthewbriggs997

Hello,

Which settings in Oblivion Reloaded do not actually work ?

Are they enabled in the ini file ?

Did you tried to tweak the corresponding parameters in the ini files or in-game ? (maybe the effect is working fine, but it not noticeable)