Heavy Traffic ×

Problems with Reinstalling Oblivion

gamemaster79

Ok, I just wanted to share this link with all of you. I had a problem with uninstalling and reinstalling Oblivion, but I emailed a family friend and he showed this to me. Follow it EXACTLY. It guides you through how to eliminate every trace of Oblivion from your computer, and then you should be able to install it again. http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.ph...p;#entry8103714

Gamemaster79

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I've been Oblivionless for several months due to the fact that it was giving me problems and wouldn't let me reinstall. Even the setup.exe wouldn't work and that always worked for me...So i did what I thought sounded like a good idea: i tried to manually delete everything. but it didn't work so i couldn't install or play it :glare: So, i was very glad to see this thread. But, alas, it did not work...and since i can't get the game to run on my parents Vista computer (i'm running XP) i shall remain Oblivionless for the time being, unless some has another idea...And i had a big mod project going too... :(

The following is not an advertisement, it is just good advice :rolleyes: , from someone who has been programming, fixing, and working with computers, for over two decades.

I don’t know how I survived before I started using Norton Ghost. (One of several good applications out there) It creates an image of your drive. Then if you make changes, install software, or get creamed by a virus. No Problem. You just restore your saved image.

Bingo you’re back in business. The Problem Never Happened! :excl:

It has saved me weeks of time. Literally. I create a backup image before every major Install or Change I make, so instead of starting from scratch I just restore the last backup image and I’m ready to go.

There are some tricks to using it or any other Drive Imaging software but its nothing compared to the benefits.

I always create an image before the install of Oblivion so it’s easy to go back and install new hardware drivers, software drivers, and Windows Updates. (Image 1)

And I can always use this image to do “clean” installs of Oblivion, Updated Patches (Official & Unofficial), and the latest versions of my Mod Managers and other Game Utilities. (Image 2)

Then I create an image once those are installed and I have saved one game in the Imperial Prison. (Image 3)

I have a group of mods that I have tested and I know are problem free. I install those, start the game up and go up a level or two. Then I create another image (Image 3)

I am now free to install new untested mods check for conflicts, sort out problems, and decide which ones to keep and which ones to toss.

I then restore Image 3 install the mods I want to keep and create my Oblivion Master Image (Image 4).

Creating each backup image takes less than ten minutes (on my machine).

This process may seem like a lot of work, but it is nothing compared to the days and even weeks of tearing my hair out :wacko: trying to find the needle in the haystack that caused a problem, only to find out in the end that I have to wipe the disk clean and start over from scratch >:( .

Hope this helps someone out there. :blush:

Any questions, I will be happy to reply.

Storm Raven :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I just installed patch 1.2.0.416, and then when I went to a certain worldspace, it crashed, also I even tried it with OBSE v12. I uninstalled these programs, and i reinstalled it again. Then I got the same crash, so I checked it's version, and it says 1.1.0.425. Default beta version. So, something is very wrong with the game. What do you think I should do? Am I'm missing something, like does it have to do with the shaders? I'm having a real serious problem with Oblivion this time, and it would be helpful if somebody told me what it is that's crashing it, or could provide a link. If you can help me with this part, that would be great!

Ok, here's what I did. I installed Mounted Combat OBSE, and uninstalled it because it crashed. Is it conflicting with Oblivion when I remove it?

Wait, so have you tried making copies of your saves/mods, and then through the link above uninstalling then reinstalling Oblivion with the newest patch (after reinstalling, adding the saved saves/mod files).

Wait, so have you tried making copies of your saves/mods, and then through the link above uninstalling then reinstalling Oblivion with the newest patch (after reinstalling, adding the saved saves/mod files).

Yes I did, but do you know a link to solve the problem, or do you know how to fix it?

Can't say that I know how to fix it, sorry :unsure:, but knowing how there are loads of problems with Oblivion I bet that there is someone in this community that would be able to help with this problem.