Problems with Reinstalling Oblivion

gamemaster79

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

Is the Oblivion 1.2.0416 patch the same as the Shivering Isles 1.2.0416 patch? I'm just asking to be on the safe side, but I suppose it is. Seems logical. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad that I could help a fellow fan of Oblivion :biggrin:. I know how frustrating it can be when Oblivion's uninstall function or other error can mess up what should be a clean reinstall.

Cheers,

Gamemaster

• 2 months later...

2.46 Million Hits. Google this:

"Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since the contents do not match."

2, 460, 000 hits as of ten minutes ago. The big winner is some box-busting game from 2K Software, then the exact (byte for byte) same message for many, many Java users. I fell asleep clicking "NEXT" looking for Oblivion, so I included Oblivion in my next search. Apparently:

1. I am a pirate!!1

2. I seriously don't know what language I speak, and am using the wrong patch.

3. I HAX0R shad0r philes!1

4. I really am a pirate and should confess my sins.

The punch line is that, once again, having paid US dollars for PC software and obtained a bona fide serial number, my best remedy is to, um, invite my nephew Zero Day over and turn him loose on my machine. Somehow he always manages to fix these whoopsies for me, even when TWO POINT FOUR SIX MILLION responses show up on Google when I go looking for my -- heh, "my," like *I* scrambled the software or am somehow to blame or something -- anyway, yep, MY software problem's solution.

Here's something to Google: oenophile. The difference between wine and software is that a fifty-dollar bottle of wine takes more than six weeks to reveal itself as sewage. Gee, I wonder why PC software sales have been tanking year-over-year since Caesar was a road guard. Mysterious. Anyway, I charge too much per hour to debug software to do it for free. Excuse me, someone's at the door. Beating on it with drumsticks. Probably Zero Day. Toodle-oo, you Java pirates. Keep your hands off the shaders!

I fail to see how most of your post has much to do with helping people with the topic's subject.

Gamemaster

Edit: I am sorry forget what I said, but I do get significantly different results then described above.

• 4 weeks later...
I fail to see how most of your post has much to do with helping people with the topic's subject.

Gamemaster

Really? Because it made sense to me.

I paid for the Game of the Year Edition, you know, the one with Shivering Isles? And I installed both. I read on the Official elder scrolls bethesda website that there was a patch I should download, one for if I'm running Oblivion and one if I'm running Oblivion with SI.

At the end of the day the 416 Oblivion English Ver. patch worked for me, BUT the SI version would not, which resulted in my adding my stat to the Google statistics sited above.

imagine that.

I later had an issue with Downloadable Content (purchased) and BethSoft support authoritatively assured me that the GOTY Edition doesn't need the patch. hmm that didn't sound right to me but I thought I'd take him at his word since he is in a position to know better than me, right.

Well recently I had occasion to reinstall Oblivion (no problems reinstalling on my tweaked Vista machine btw) and when I went to reinstall OBSE lo and behold! I wasn't running Ver 416. Imagine that. I downloaded the Oblivion patch. For spits and giggles I downloaded the SI english ver. patch as well, "old file not find..." hmm. *rolleyes*

Bliv 416 patch worked fine.. again. All is well.

• 6 months later...

Ok, I'm not quite sure whether I should ask this in this section or not, but here I go anyway.

So the problem is that Oblivion keeps crashing all the times. The problem started when I installed Shivering Isle. The game stoped to work, so I thought that maybe if I remove the game completely and install it again, It may work again. And that's exactly what I did, but eversince the game hasn't been the same. When I try to load a saved game, the game crashes, or the image just disappears.

I have just updated the game to 1.2.0416, nothing else.

I have tried to even begin a new game, but the game just doesn't do anything. It just keeps lagging in the main menu. Also tried to fix the savegames, but nothing seems to work. Seems like the game has completely stoped to respond any comand. Anyone any ideas? I would really appreciate any tips how to make the previously saved game work properly again! Or to make the game work anyway. :confused:

Ok, I'm not quite sure whether I should ask this in this section or not, but here I go anyway.

So the problem is that Oblivion keeps crashing all the times. The problem started when I installed Shivering Isle. The game stoped to work, so I thought that maybe if I remove the game completely and install it again, It may work again. And that's exactly what I did, but eversince the game hasn't been the same. When I try to load a saved game, the game crashes, or the image just disappers.

I have just updated the game to 1.2.0416, nothing else.

I havent yet tried to start the game all over again, so I don't know if the problem is in the game or is the saved game just corrupted. Anyone any ideas? I would really appreciate any tips how to make the previously saved game work properly again! :confused:

• 1 month later...

What you need is the same mods you used to run that save game in the first place, at least all the major ones, which had a .esm -master file in them. If you can't remember or don't have the mods backed up anywhere, the save is most likely lost, apart from your last option of getting yourself Wrye Bash and using it's utilities to find out exactly what mods your save game was running, but even that can be just a long shot.

I just recently re-installed oblivion and am in the process of getting my backups back in, but not using any mods yet, to see if the "true" game actually works. The key to succesful Oblivion installation/re-installation is to always have backups and this is true to quite many other things other than just games.

Decided to give answer the question, even if late, so someone might be able to make use of the info.

On a side note; With my old oblivion folder being nearly 80gigs, I'm gonna keep notes on how well the game handles re-installations and backups of this scale. Downsizing from 78gigs to 15. I'm on standby with system restore, in case I might've lost something irreplacable.

edit; Well, here we go:

1:

When you're taking backups and intend to place them back into your game, be wary of what you back up. I un-intentionally backed up a few files of a specific weather mod, but forgot one part of it, which led to a pink sky and a small hunt to get that mod again. If at all possible, keep your backups as separate rars for each mod, with all the necessary files contained. I had originally made the mistake of removing some of my older backups, which forced me to do this the old fashioned way.

2:

With heavily modded games, like mine was, there is a very high probability of your old save games becoming totally un-playable, depending on how many of the old mods you re-installed/will re-install. Mine was a downsizing installation, which led to me losing all of my older save games.(Which I could get back to playable by either doing a system restore, or re-installing all the necessary mods, but that would make my reason for re-installing null.)

3:

Doing large scale re-installations is time consuming. Unless you've got the time and the willpower to go through with it, don't bother. The time from taking the first backups up to the point of where I got into testing the game and re-installing/fixing issues for me was 6 hours straight, no pauses. This is assuming you're thorough with your checks, prior to uninstallation. The time consumed can be cut down a lot by having backups organized in a folder, with every mod currently in your game, which I unfortunately didn't.(This was my first re-installation since Oblivion was released.)

~Elraine