Problems with Reinstalling Oblivion

gamemaster79

Haven't needed to try this myself, but way back I used to see advice to run the uninstaller from the GotY disk (something that doesn't exist for the digital download versions).

Just did a partial test myself and you'll begin the process by running setup.exe on the GotY disk one which will eventually (DVD drives are painfully slow compared to hard drives) bring up an Install Wizard prompt asking if you want to uninstall Oblivion (I of course answered No so I can't give you any further insights).

Thank you striker879 I saw the uninstaller on the disk. Figured it was the same as running the game un installer. Have done this several times. Perhaps .. will try again. The very first post in the thread has a link to Beth ... net. Can't access it. Hope the link has good info!

That link just redirects to a Bethesda front page wanting to sell me stuff (which isn't surprising considering the date of that post ... since 2007 Bethesda's web pages have changed many times).

My thoughts on why running the uninstallation from the GotY disk is different than running it from the game install itself is that the former is running from files that are not actively "part" of what you are uninstalling, whereas running the uninstaller from the game install is asking it to uninstall something that is currently in use (sort of like not being allowed to delete a file that is currently open) ... but that is all just me speculating.

- Edit - Reading through some of the early posts on the first page leads me to think that this may be related to problems people ran into when trying to unistall the game back when the version 1.2.0416 official patch was released.

Again, this is me just speculating (based on me reading between the lines on those first posts, so speculation based on speculation), but my guess on what may have been on that now missing Bethesda page is instructions related to properly uninstalling the game if it was first installed using the original release version of the game and then later was updated to version 1.2.0416 using the official 1.2.0416 patch and then problems resulted from trying to uninstall ( a sort of version mismatch situation).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Striker -- Thank you very much -- appreciate your help. I couldn't find the UN installer on the disk... my bad. I found a post byBBen46. Perhaps this will help to successfully address my re-install woes. From now on (assuming I get it reinstalled) I'll do the dual install, so i have a safe backup already on my d drive. Again Thank you for trying. Greatly appreciated. - e

Perhaps I should blow 5 dollars and purchase the steam version -- might this circumvent the disk issue (although I hate having steam running in background -- sucking up resources. Alas...

Be well. -e

PS love the comics!

Edited by elanaahova2

@Striker -- Thank you very much -- appreciate your help. I couldn't find the UN installer on the disk... my bad. I found a post byBBen46. Perhaps this will help to successfully address my re-install woes. From now on (assuming I get it reinstalled) I'll do the dual install, so i have a safe backup already on my d drive. Again Thank you for trying. Greatly appreciated. - e

Perhaps I should blow 5 dollars and purchase the steam version -- might this circumvent the disk issue (although I hate having steam running in background -- sucking up resources. Alas...

Be well. -e

PS love the comics!

The bottom one is my favourite ... but then again I'm a sailor so perhaps I have a soft spot for the rowing aspect.

The uninstll using the GotY disk isn't started from anything called "uninstall" ... it's started by double clicking on the file named setup.exe, which will then discover that the game is already installed, so instead of trying to set up the game it offers to uninstall the game.

That said, I can't say for certain what you may find as you are in some in between state of having an installed game and having an uninstalled game from what I'm understanding.

Another word of advice ... if you buy a digital version of the game avoid the Steam version at all costs and buy the Good Old Games (GOG) version. Take a look through the OBSE mod page comments (along with Blockhead and Oblivion Character Overhaul v 2 if you really want a "full picture" of where I'm coming from). Somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 or 90% of my "work" on this site stems from Steam installs of the game. They are masters at finding new ways to screw things up.

- Edit - For a real good example of what I call "The Steam Problem" take a look back in the Oblivion Character Overhaul v 2 mod comments to a comment thread started on Sept 17 2020 by user Zariel (currently 3 pages back in the comments).